Ball Joints-tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ball Joints-tie Rods

-new member-2001 Supercrew-5.4, 4x4, 75,000 kms.
-just got new tires ( Bridgestone Dueler ATS ), while it was on the hoist, I was informed these parts were "shot". I drive carefully, just offroad (two track) while hunting/fishing. Is this unusual, or is it time for replacements? Quoted $850.00 Cdn. to do the full job. Got a second opinion from a mechanic, said ball joints were OK, it was the idler arms (?). He put it on the hoist and showed me there was play in the system, although this amount was normal. Said to stop in every 10,000 kms for a check up. Any suggestions/comments?

Old 12-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Cool

First off, welcome to the site !!!!!

Second thing, is this the computer chip section. You have to watch which section you put your topics in. Steve (Webmaster) will eventually move this one once he finds it out of place.

The front ends on the F150's come with no grease fittings on most of the front end suspension. If and when you have to get it changed, spend the extra dollars and get grease fittings in them. Yes, there are companies that do make the parts with grease fittings, regardless of what others say. What happens is from the factory the parts are packed with grease which eventually dries out and then wear 'n tear begins. The new greasable equipped replacement parts allow these parts to be greased whenever the truck is in for a oil change. Hope this helps.

On another topic, where do live in Windsor ??? There are quite a few guys on here from Windsor (JMC, Neal, Zub, Kidd, I among others) and we generally get together at a couple differents spots if you wish to stop by sometime. The first spot is the old Elias parking lot on the corner of McDougal and Tecumseh Road East. The second place is across the street at Burger King, generally we park back by the Pizza Pizza store. And finally, the Tim Horton's on Tecumseh Road East beside the Red Lobster. We are generally out after 9 p.m. on Fri - Sun and sit or drive around in the trucks. If we are not in one of these spots, we may be out cruising and should be back soon. Sit and wait and we should be by soon. If you have a CB and happen to see one of the trucks, we run on channel 19. You can go to my website and view our truck so you know which ones to look for.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 12-12-2003, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Hockey 7,

Yeah, unfortunately the automakers stopped putting grease fittings on these vehicles because it was included in the cost of ownership surveys - thus they eliminated them, the jerks, as that reduces new vehicle sales. So instead of the tie rods lasting 100K+ miles like they should, they typically last only 30K-40K miles - but as Dean mentioned, you can get better parts that *do* have the grease fittings in many cases, so if you do have to replace any suspension parts, make sure you get replacement parts with grease fittings, and have the suspension lubed every 3000 miles (5000 kilometers) - every oil change, in other words, just like most of us grew up doing. .

75K kilometers is roughly 46K miles - you really shouldn't need major suspension work at this point - our 2001 we just traded in, which was also a 4WD model, had 41K miles on it and the front suspension was *fine* at that point, still nice & tight - other than the shocks being ready for replacement. So you might want to get another opinion from a different shop - see what your local Ford dealer says first. It's very typical for tire shops, brake shops, muffler shops, etc. to try selling you a whole new suspension, shocks, and anything else they can stick you with while you are there - don't fall for that, have your Ford dealer check things out first. Of course the shocks will be worn out if they are original, they're generally only good for 20K to maybe 30K miles, in general - but that's to be expected.

As Dean mentioned, this is the Computer Chips section, so this is a topic you'll really need to take to the appropriate section for discussion if you want to go over this more *here* - just FYI.

By the way, if at all possible, as Dean mentioned you'll want to meet up with Dean (IzzyEddy), Neal the HP Freak, JMC & all the other F-150 Online members of this web site that live up there where you do - they're a sharp bunch of fun people that love their F-150's & know them well - you'll really enjoy getting a chance to meet & hang out with them in person.

Good luck!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 12-12-2003 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:43 PM
-I noticed I was in the wrong section after I sent the post in, but thanks for the info.. I'll check this out with my dealership. As far as Friday nights with the boys, my son plays travel hockey, goodbye weekends. If I need any info. from you guys, I'll be sure to look you up.

thanks

Old 12-13-2003, 10:05 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
hockey 7,

Welcome to F15Oonline. If your truck is not wandering all over the road or not pulling don't change a thing. I have had to replace my teirod ends and upper ball joints. That is becasue of the large tires and abuse off road that my truck endure.
The idler arm on these trucks have been known to fail prematurely. It is the only part of the OEM suspension that has Zerk fittings. If they haven't been greased then they may fail. If you need front end parts go to Walker automotive and ask for Joe. Tell him we sent you and he will get you the parts you need. Lifetime warranty. If you want help installing let me know. BTW the Upper ball joints are sold with the upper A arm as one. $120.00 x 2 + tax. You need 2. Max 1 hour to install. Cam bolts if needed and 1 hr install + alignment. MAX $450-500.00 Where did you get the tires?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-13-2003, 01:00 PM
JMC: thanks for your input. Ordered the tires from "Fastech" on Jefferson.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints-tie Rods