SuperChip 1715 - advise request

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperChip 1715 - advise request

My wife and I just bought our first RV… I’m pulling it with a 2003 Ford F250 FX4 Crew 5.4L engine. It does just fine - pulls that Sunnybrook at 60mph tacking about 2400rpm. Around town I get about 11mpg. When I’m towing the camper, I get every bit of 9.5mpg! Since we live in Charleston, SC – most of our excursions are on relatively flat interstate highways. Even so, I can’t use the OD because I get too much downshifting. OK, now that you have some background…
I read about Super-Chip’s Micro Tuner 1715, and while it doesn’t boast about improved gas mileage, I figure the 20 extra horses that it talks about might be just enough of a boost so that I can use OD when tooling down 95 – might have to drop to 55mph, but even so, we’re not in a real big hurry. That would knock off several hundred rpm, which equals gas savings. (I know, I know… Should’ve got the diesel!)
So, I bought it…
Since I’m not pulling the camper right now, I chose the “high octane performance” program and I did not customize it from the Super-Chip’s defaults. I had a little less than ½ a tank of 87 octane so I filled up with 93 octane. I figure that averages to a full tank of at least 91 octane. Since one of the comments was that it takes about 100 miles for the computer to “learn” or “adapt” to the new program, now I’m beginning to think I should have just run the 87 octane program until I’m ready to pull the camper then switch to the tow-pref and 93 octane. Phewwww!
So here are my questions…
If I want to get the best gas mileage around town when, NOT towing, what program do I run?
If I load the towing program, will it hurt the truck engine running around town if I’m not towing?
Does a ½ tank of 87 octane + a ½ tank of 93 octane = a full tank of ~91 octane?
Is it wise to keep switching between programs and fuels?
Thanks,
Tom

Old 11-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom,

I've already answered this in the other thread you posted this same message in.

Normally, it's a very good idea to put up a new thread like you did here, to make sure I see your post - but in this case, I did happen to see it in that other thread, so I've already posted your info there for you.

Quick Reply: SuperChip 1715 - advise request