Chips for 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chips for 2004?

When can we expect the aftermarket to catch up with the '04 ??

Is it likely to be a couple months or are we talking NEXT YEAR?

I'm specifically interested in the 1715 and the Air Force One intake for an '04 Superduty 5.4

If it's likely to be a while I may think about going ahead with dual exhausts in the meantime.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 1911,

It won't be too long, we should be able to offer you the tuning for your 2004 (and for our first 2004 F-150 - a SuperCrew that we just took delivery of last Saturday) in the next 60 days or so, if all goes well.

When that actually happens, we'll be making an announcement here of course, as we always do - however - what I would also suggest is to shoot us a quick email now so we can put you on our list of people to notify once we're actually shipping for the 2004 F-150's (please include your exact model and which engine you have in that email, so we can get you accurate information) - that way you don't have to wait to see if we've put a post up here. Our email address is simply: sales@troyerperformance.com

And yes, our good friends Craig & Cam @ Air Force One are already working on the intake setup for the 2004 F-150's, we've been discussing this with them at some length - in fact, we'll be testing the first prototypes for them here pretty shortly, so we can let you know about that as soon as it's finalized & actually shipping too, if you like.

On the exhaust - my suggestion there is to wait a little bit on the exhaust mods, as right now nobody has a properly flow-engineered cat-back exhaust system for the 2004 F-150's just yet - whatever you do, don't run out and do a custom true-dual setup at some muffler or exhaust shop, as that will cost you a significant amount of torque below 3000 rpm and really hurt driveability - the very last thing these trucks need - even though you will gain HP at higher rpms at full-throttle, you don't want to lose torque, and that is avoidable if you can be a bit patient on this. I know, it's hard not to run out & have a shop put something on right now, it's the first thing we want to do to our new 2004 5.4 SuperCrew, too. But its best to wait until properly flow-engineered systems are available (preferably from Magnaflow).

If you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, please give us a call at our number listed below & we'll be happy to.

Congratulations on your new 2004 F-150, by the way - I hope you like yours as much as we like ours! In our case, this new one replaces our last 4x4 ORP 6000 lb. "pig," so it's another 6000+ lb. "pig" of an F-150, a loaded Lariat 5.4 4x4. Love the new interior & the new heated seats (power and heat for passenger side too, finally!) & the center console, etc. This 2004 drives *sooo* much better than the 1997-2003 vehicles do - until you hit a big bump, it feels like you're driving a mildly lifted Caddy it's so smooth - it's a much better highway cruiser than our 2001 4x4 w/ORP was, and we were happy with that one.

I can't wait to see just how much better it will respond with a proper tune on it, as it's obvious that there are more insidious transitional delays & retards hurting power and performance in these 2004's than we even had before - I think we're going to get very nice results from the tuning on this application, from the feel of the vehicle.

Good luck!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 10-20-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:46 AM
F-TWO fifty!!!

Mike,

I appreciate your feedback, but it's a 250, not a 150.

Old 10-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 1911,

Ahh, I missed where you originally posted that it was a SuperDuty - I must have just glanced over that quickly and thought it was a "SuperCrew" instead - my mistake, obviously.

Not to worry, the way this has been handled in the past is that the SuperDuty's with the same gas motors as the F-150's are generally going to be available as well - they always have been.

Enjoy your SuperDuty!

Old 10-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Is it the SAME motor????

The new 5.4 '04 F150 has the 3-valve engine. I have not heard one way or the other if this same engine is in the F250, but I suspect NOT.

Therefore, I'm wondering if the tuning for the F150 will be optimal for the Superduty??? My suspicion is that it will be an entirely separate and different program.

And understanding full well that the marketshare is far greater with the F150 I can understand that the chip manufacturors will place a priority on the 150......thus the reason for my original question -- "couple of months or next year?"

Thanks for your insight!

Old 10-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi 1911,

Ford's own website just lists it as a "5.4 EFI V8" with no other details for the F-250 SuperDuty, as I just went there and configured a 2004 5.4 V8 SuperDuty (which comes standard with the 5.4 and a 6-speed manual), and it doesn't list the HP or mention anything about it being a 3-valve unit - at least, not as far as I went into it. You can always just look at your window sticker and it will tell you - if it doesn't specifically say that it's a 3-valve 5.4, then it's not. Any 2004 with a 3-valve 5.4 will say 3-valve 5.4 on the window sticker.

But it really doesn't matter which one you have - the 2-valve 5.4 tuning is extremely well known, so it's not like if you had the 2-valve motor you would have something that is going to "stump the panel." The issue with us being able to tune your vehicle is not whether it's a 2 valve or a 3 valve 5.4, or whether it's a half-ton F-150 or a 3/4 ton SuperDuty - it's the fact that it is a *2004* model F-series thus it has the Ptech PCM and will require the same basic hardware for flashing the PCM that a 2004 F-150 does and have the same basic "concerns."

It may not be a 3-valve you have there - back when Ford released the PI version of the 5.4 for the 1999 model year, bumping it from 235 HP to 260 HP, they used up their leftover 235 HP 5.4's in the 1999 Expeditions & SuperDuty's, so that Expy's & SD's in 1999 can have either a 235 HP non-PI 5.4 or the 260 HP PI version of the 5.4 depending on when they were built. No doubt that Ford probably has a number of 2-valve 5.4's they need to use up, so they may have decided to use them in the '04 SuperDuty's - I don't know.

But the bottom line is, what matters from our standpoint is that it's a 2004 Ptech PCM instead of the EEC-V PCM's used in the 1996-2003 models.

Regardless of what engine you got, from a 6-banger all the way to the V10 & PSD's - the factory tuning won't be "optimal." We can always get more power and better fuel mileage from them, as they're all tuned mildly for 87 octane from the factory - so there will always be room for improvement. We have never seen any computer-controlled vehicle, from a Viper to a Corvette to a Lightning to a Cobra to a Ferrari to a Suzuki, that is tuned "optimally" from the factory.

To get to what really matters to you, we'll be making tuning available for the 2004 SuperDuty V8's either at the same time or very shortly after we release it for the 2004 F-150's. So it shouldn't be very long.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks!

That's the answer I was looking for.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor
You're very welcome!

Quick Reply: Chips for 2004?