Problem with new 1715 Micro TUner

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with new 1715 Micro TUner

Mike T & Anyone Else,

I just bought the new 1715 micro tuner, and for some reason it doesn't go through it's first test when plugged in, hell the damn thing doesn't even turn on!!! Now i haven't lost complete faith, i'm hoping that this could just be a minor fix, but i've never even plugged anything into my diagnostic port so i don't see how that could get broken.. This is on my

99 F-150 4.6 L V8
6 inch RCD 35" BFG A/T's
4:56 Gears Bullet Exhaust
K&N Generation 2 Filter Charger

Please help i'm so jelous i've got it in my hands on one i just can't play with it...

Thanks Everyone..

Michael Leathers

Old 10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Michael,

Sounds like a very nice truck from your list of mods there!

I need to let you know something important.........

There's just no really practical or timely way to diagnose or fix your problem over the Internet on a web site message board - if there were some simple way to automatically tell you what the problem is and how to fix it, we would be glad to - I'll be making a couple suggestions in a minute, but they may or may not help you at all. We really have no idea what's happening or what the problem is - and it would take numerous questions & answers & then more troubleshooting to get to all of that - thus you (meaning anyone, not just you) really can't get proper Tech Support or warranty service here on these message boards.

To help yourself best, the thing to do would be to follow the instructions in the Micro Tuner's manual, which tell you to call either your dealer or the manufacturer if you need help - that's mentioned in several places.

This could be anything from a simple connection problem to a damaged OBD-II connector in the vehicle to a problem with the PCM, the cable or Micro Tuner itself - rare, but it's possible - to a weak battery in the vehicle, to you name it - so it could be any number of things. The simple things that you might be able to "fix" would be things like checking the connections on *both* ends of the Micro Tuner's cable, and make sure that there is *nothing* else turned on in the vehicle - no radio, no doors open, no cigarette lighter in use, no lights on - *nothing* else should be on while you have that Micro Tuner connected.

And please - make sure to double-check that the cable from the Micro Tuner is firmly and fully (all the way!) connected to the vehicle's OBD-II connector - these new 1715's have tight-fitting OBD-II connectors, and several people have made a mistake and not gotten a good connection as a result - it takes 2 hands in our experience to connect these new units, one to brace the back of the vehicle's OBD-II port so it won't flex or bend back, and the other hand to firmly push the Micro Tuner's cable all the way onto the vehicle's OBD-II connector - just pushing the cable onto the vehicle's OBD-II connector without supporting that connector with your left hand behind it doesn't work well most of the time.

If after trying all of that you still can't get the unit to fire up, you've got a problem that you will most likely need to have the manufacturer take care of for you, which they'll be happy to do - you have a Lifetime warranty.

Sorry I can't help you any better right now my friend, but try these things & if that doesn't work - then call your dealer or the manufacturer directly - and best of luck!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 10-01-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Thanks Mike, i'm so bummed i'm looking at all these posts on how good this thing does and I'm gonna need it here soon desert season is almost upon us, and i just bought a Toy Box and with the 35's i'm gonna need all the help i can get getting it up that grade...

Old 10-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Michael,

You did the right thing in putting those 4.56 gears in - so many people will slap 35's on & try running on the stock 3.55 gears, which is a very bad move - IMHO, that makes the vehicle darn near undriveable. In your case, you've done things the smart way & got the 4.56 gears for those 35's, so at least your engine can turn the rpms it needs to to be up in it's power band.

It may take a few days, but you'll be OK with your Micro Tuner - if it has a problem & needs to actually be replaced, Superchips will take care of that for you ASAP. So it won't be too terribly long before you'll be enjoying the same benefits from the Micro Tuner that everyone else is.

Hang in there, Mike!

Old 10-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Mike,

One more little question, i've noticed latly that when i stop at a light my head lights go dim, now yes i do have a sound system but i was wondering if maybe it could be time to change the battery if so what do you recomend as a good all around battery, now i was thinking about getting a Red top optima but if there's something out there that is comprable to that but cheaper then i'm all ears.. I'm just really trying to diagnose this problem of why that tuner won't work. Is there any kind of fuse that could go to the diagnostic port? I bought the haynes book on F-150's and there wasn't a layout of the fuse box even in it? Do you think the chilton's one would??

Old 10-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Michael,

Bet ya a beer that you didn't get the plug in all the way. Mine was really tight.

Old 10-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi FHF42,

Yep, sounds like a weak battery alright - and you can't get better than the Optima batteries. I'd go with the yellow-top Optima, as if memory serves, I think that is the one that is designed for many deep discharges without hurting the battery - just what you need for a powerful stereo, or a lot of auxiliary lighting, etc. - and it has *plenty* of CCA (cold cranking amps), more than enough to serve as a normal battery.

Of course, you don't need to spend the $$$ for an Optima - heck, a Sears Diehard or any number of other heavy-duty "conventional" batteries, like Interstate, etc. would serve you very well, no doubt. But if you want the *best,* then sure, go for the Optima - it doesn't care what position it's in, how much shock & vibration it sees, or how many times you run it down to nothing (in the case of the yellow top) - it just keeps on cranking reliably.

In fact, the only reason we don't run Optima batteries in our vehicles is simply because none of them are anywhere near old enough to need a battery, & they all have the biggest Ford batteries available in the F-150.

Off the top of my head, I'm not aware if there is an actual fuse or fusible link to the OBD-II port - I've never seen one that had any problem, so in all candor - I've just never looked into that, but I doubt that is your problem - I've never seen that happen in *any* other OBD-II vehicle, not once.

It really sounds to me like you're just not getting the Micro Tuner's cable quite all the way onto the vehicle's OBD-II connector, as the Micro Tuner is phantom-powered thru the OBD-II port by the vehicle's battery - and it's a tight fitting OBD-II connector on that cable, whereas all previous OBD-II devices I've ever seen always had a bit of a "loose" fit - this is the first OBD-II connection I've seen that I approve of, it's nice & tight - so tight that a few people had a problem getting it on at first, until they talked to us in some detail about it & we coached them thru a different technique. I don't know for sure if that really is your problem, but it sounds like it could be.

We're shutting down an hour early today, but you might want to give us a call and leave a message for Tech Support over the weekend, and I can return the call - then I can go over this with you, and see if in fact you're getting a proper connection, etc. Just call our number listed below & leave us a name & phone number (speak slowly & clearly) that I can call you back at personally at some point over the weekend - I check for those messages about 3 times a day each Saturday & Sunday as we're closed over the weekend & don't want anyone having to wait until Monday for Tech Support.

At any rate, I hope that info helps & talk to you soon!

Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Mike,

Ok well i tried the new battery (i got the red top optima) and the thing still doesn't work, we tried a glow light test to see if we were even getting any power to the OBD-II connector. So that's leaving me to beleave that there is something wrong with that. So maybe if you have any other idea's please let me know..

Thanks Mike for all your help, it's good to have someone that takes so much time to help some of us with our little problems.

Michael

99 F-150 4.6 L V8
6 inch RCD 35" BFG A/T's
4:56 Gears Bullet Exhaust
K&N Generation 2 Filter Charger

Old 10-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Michael,

Any Optima battery is a great improvement over the stock battery of course, but unless the previous battery was not healthy & thus wasn't able to consistently put out the normal 12.5-14.5 volts, I wouldn't expect a new battery to make a real difference in that specific aspect.

If you aren't getting power from the appropriate pin on the OBD-II port (you'll need a pinout diagram to tell you which pin/contact does what) that the Micro Tuner uses for phantom power, then of course check all fuses, both under the hood and inside the cabin - I'd do that (check all vehicle fuses, that is) before worrying about getting a pinout of the OBD-II port & tapping it, etc.

Also, try connecting any other OBD-II device, like a code scanner - for example, at any Auto Zone they will scan the PCM for error codes free of charge, by connecting to the vehicle's OBD-II port. That way you can at least find out if the OBD-II port itself is passing operational data thru correctly.

Also, if you have access to any other vehicle that Micro Tuner will work on, you can connect it and see if it initializes & comes up correctly.

These various steps should identify whether this is a vehicle problem, or an actual Micro Tuner problem.

I wish I could be of some *real* help to you here Mike, but try these various things & good luck!

Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Ok well I know one thing is for sure i've tried 3 diffrent Programmers so i don't think it's the programmer i think it's my truck....

And i've checked all the fuses in the engine compartment but not the one inside so i'm gonna hunt them down on lunch or when i get home...

Well once again thanks Mike i'm gonna keep trying everything untill I find out why this darn thing wont work, and if worse comes to worse I have a really good friend that works in the service department at my local ford dealer and he said if i ever needed a favor he'd hook me up, so this just might be that time..

Untill the next step we shall meet again.. LOL

Michael

Old 10-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Update::::::::::::: Found blown fuse in fuse panel inside the truck i'm gonna make a quick stop by the local auto zone and grab some fuses I hope this could be the right one... Mike it was your wife that kinda gave me a little hint on what to look for b/c she said if the cigarette lighter doesn't work then it could be that, so i'm thinking that's the problem b/c one of the two doesn't work..

We'll see how it goes...

Old 10-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Yep, definitely check the fuses as we discussed before - if the cigarette lighter isn't working, BINGO! - it's the fuse.

I think I just had a brain fart for a second there, as I just didn't remember that specific aspect of checking to see if the cigarette lighter is working, I just always check all the fuses anyway. I forgot all about the fact that the cigarette lighter is on the same circuit and to check it's fuse *first* - in other words, ask to see if the cigarette lighter is working and if not - bingo, blown fuse. Guess I'm working too many hours.............it's the only excuse I can think of at the moment.

Anita will LOVE hearing that I missed something, as I give the staff here grief all the time over forgetting things - just goes to show you that what goes around - comes back around in spades, and rightfully nailed me but good this time!

Glad to hear it is just a simple fuse - you should be enjoying your Micro Tuner in no time now!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Mike and Anita,

You guys are awesome thank you so much for your help with this, as the place where i bought it from had no clue they just said oh it your truck, and this is a place i used to work at and my dad is really good friends with they wouldn't even go about to even lead me in the right direction of what could be wrong. I'd like to let you know that if i hadn't had gotton such a good deal on the thing I would have bought it from you guys, as i've made wish list after wish list of things I want to do to my truck. From now on i'm ordering from you guys and only you, and so far i've told just about every one of my friends about you and your website, and I know for sure they'll be buying. Thanks again for you help..

Michael

P.S. I'll probably be ordering a new set of spark plug wires and a new gatorback serpentine belt here next week... Look forward to actually doing business with you guys.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Oh yeah i almost forgot, so far i've only used the 87 octane program but i need to go get gas at lunch today then i'm gonna switch to the performance program to see how it goes, I think with new plug wires i'll get a little help b/c my trucks got 95,000 miles on it and i don't think they've been change, and i do notice a rough idle at low rpm's i changed the plugs but not the wires, (rookie mistake) so i might just do everything all over agian that way everythings fresh...

But i do like how now i actually know how fast i'm going b/c with the bigger tires and the diffrent gear ratio i was way off on speed, but the tuner changed that and that's sweet...

Can't wait to try the performance program and then try it with my new trailer.. I'll keep you posted on this post...

Michael

Old 10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Michael,

I'm glad to hear it was just a simple fuse & now you're able to enjoy your Micro Tuner - and I'm sorry to hear that whoever you got it from didn't help you, that's a shame.

The important thing is now you can enjoy the Micro Tuner like you should be able to, so all's well that ends well, or so they say.

Yes, if your stock factory spark plug wires are either 4 years or older, or have 40K miles or more on them, they're ready for replacement. You'll see a nice improvement in power, performance, fuel mileage, idle quality, etc. from our ignition upgrade package. In fact, if that ignition system is either all original or is all stock, there's another 15-20+ horsepower minimum available there, and better fuel mileage and driveability to be had too with our ignition upgrade package. If possible, do the spark plugs, spark plug wires & the coil packs at the same time - that's our ignition upgrade package for the non-COP 4.6's like you have there, as a package deal - that will get you the lowest total cost for all those parts as well as the best power, performance and fuel mileage gains. That is, if your budget will permit - and if not, no problem, just do things one at a time until you get the plugs, plug wires & both coil packs replaced.

If you think it runs good now, wait until you have our ignition upgrade package installed!

And of course, don't forget your fuel filter - Ford says to change them @ 30,000 mile intervals, but that is *way* too long - fuel filters are good for not more than 15K miles in "regular" F-150's, and for Lightnings or any F-150 with a supercharger, 5000 miles is max for a fuel filter. Just use the standard factory fuel filter, they're fine & it's not worth spending money on an aftermarket fuel filter - the stock Ford unit is fine. Just FYI...........

Glad to hear you're OK with the Micro Tuner now & have fun!

Quick Reply: Problem with new 1715 Micro TUner