cleaning elec. wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 10:49 PM
tk2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cleaning elec. wiring?

How would you go about cleaning all the electrical wiring in the engine bay? What would be the best and safest way to remove all the oil, grime, and gunk from the wiring without getting electrical problems? I don't want to do a whole hose down treatment. Thanks in advance, Todd

Old 11-17-2002, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wipe them down

I do the whole hose down the engine thing when I clean them.

Old 11-18-2002, 02:11 AM
tk2
Intel, is there a specific cleaner that would be safe to loosen the grime and oil off the wires? Or would any degreaser be ok? I was wondering, what about an electronic cleaner spray.But would it be safe on plastics and painted surfaces?
Thanks, Todd

Old 11-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Ahh, electrical, at least I have some knowledge here. If your wanting to get grime, oil, etc off the wires simple spary some WD-40 on a rag and wipe them down. The WD-40 won't cause any electrical problems and it won't harm the insulation on the wires. You want to be carfuly when using other cleaning solutions so as not to degrade the insulation on the wires, especially something that would dry them out. For example if your ever cleaning your battery with a solution of backing soda and water, though it does neturlize the battery acid it does not completely neturlize the acid. Always wash, rince anywhere the solution may have got especially electrical wires, rubber hoses etc. Though its not near as bad as battery acid alone it can still cause problems if not cleaned up properly.

As far as the WD-40 being safe, it is safe on plastic, and paint. I beleive Intel did say once that it might stripe off wax from the paint, but it won't hurt the paint.

Quick Reply: cleaning elec. wiring?