2016 White Platinum Tricoat....bad stone chip on hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 White Platinum Tricoat....bad stone chip on hood

Hi, just bought a 2016 with white platinum tricoat and first highway trip up north i get a big rock chip on drivers side of hood. It appears to be a tan color....so this is right down to base primer or metal? Of course my eyes are drawn to it like laser beams now. What is the best way to touch this up? Is the motorcraft tricoat platinum white kit enough?...or are some aftermarket kits better?

Thx & Rgds,

Andy

Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter what method you use to fill in a chip like that, it's going to show to some extent. Given that you say there's a tan color showing, I don't think you're down to the primer - which is good. I might suggest the Dr. Colorchip system. I don't know if they make it for the color you have, but I've had some success with it on my silver car and white truck.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Thx for the reply, I ended up using the FoMoCo touchup part...the dealer bodyshop even put it on while we were bs'n about trucks ha....you are right the tan underneath is a base layer, not primer. Looks better now, gonna put a layer of 3m on front of hood & fenders etc.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_andy
Thx for the reply, I ended up using the FoMoCo touchup part...the dealer bodyshop even put it on while we were bs'n about trucks ha....you are right the tan underneath is a base layer, not primer. Looks better now, gonna put a layer of 3m on front of hood & fenders etc.
Having paint protection film applied is a VERY GOOD idea in my opinion. I have it on both my truck and my car and have been thankful every day for its protection.

In re-reading your post, you may be talking about the spray stuff that you can apply yourself. I tried it and don't think much about it. In my opinion it was hard to control the thickness during application and it did not hold up well. You, of course may have better results.

I'd recommend you seriously consider a professionally applied film. It is almost impervious to rock chips and is almost invisible when applied. But, of course, it is not cheap.

Before you do either one, spend a little time on the chip you had repaired to get the repair perfectly flush with the surrounding surface. If you do it right, the repair will be almost invisible and any kind of paint protection you put over it will work better.

- Jack

Old 01-01-2017, 11:35 AM
I'm a big fan of Dr. Color Chip...but it depends on the chip.
Can you post a pic?

Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 PM
The Ford Motorcraft touch up is a two in one applicator with base and top coat, pen and brush. It's not perfect but it's mostly hidden now. I went ahead and had Ford do a layer of 24" wide film on leading edge of hood and front quarter panels, so hopefully that will help out.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_andy
The Ford Motorcraft touch up is a two in one applicator with base and top coat, pen and brush. It's not perfect but it's mostly hidden now. I went ahead and had Ford do a layer of 24" wide film on leading edge of hood and front quarter panels, so hopefully that will help out.
If the film you had applied is anything like mine, you'll be very impressed with the protection it gives you. I had it applied to my bumper and headlights too.

- Jack