Let's wake this section up! 2015 Taurus SEL AWD detail and prodcut review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Let's wake this section up! 2015 Taurus SEL AWD detail and product review.

This section has been in a deep slumber. Time for a detail and a product review. As some of you know, I was good to my word years ago that my truck would no longer be a daily driver. I've owned the car for just over two months and really have enjoyed it. All my basic protection mods are done except the clear bra and wet okles. I finally had a chance to do a detail and try put a few products that will hopefully work out and make life easier. I consider myself above average for detailing. Not a professional but knowledgeable more than the majority and I think the condition of my truck at 11 years old backs that up.

First off wash the good old wash and clay. I wash it with my usual Meguiars shampoo and my orange foam gun. I've been using it for around 4 years now and find it quite helpful to presoak to loosen things up. I use the two bucket method when washing. Both buckets have Grit-Guards™ to keep the debris trapped at the bottom.
DSC01175 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01182 by Jaldo24, on FlickrDSC01178 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01177 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

Once that was done I began claying. I have found the Meguiars Mild clay from the professional line is great for my needs. A bit more aggressiveness than the consumer line but not enough to cause crazy marring.

DSC01180 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

The ONR makes a great clay lube and the Zep spray bottles from Home Depot have been great and durable. I did an quick Iso-alcohol wipe down after.

DSC01183 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

DSC01176 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

Griot's Garage wheel clay was put to use on the wheels. Really did a nice job cleaning them. It was the first time I used it and did the job.

DSC01181 by Jaldo24, on FlickrFlickr
DSC01184 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

I taped off the plastic on the car to begin waxing. This car has a decent amount of plastic so I didn't want any wax on it.

DSC01185 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01186 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01187 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

Once done, I pulled out a new Meguiar's applicator and opened a new can of Collinite 476S.

DSC01189 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01188 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

I love this stuff so much! Been using it for 4 years now and best wax I have used. I also use the 845 liquid but I didn't feel like dragging out the DA today. This stuff needs to be applied thin! A little goes a long way. The protection is fantastic...especially since it is recommended for salt water boats.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 07-05-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM

My next step once the car was coated with the 476s was to tackle the tires. This brings us to the product review portion of this post.
DSC01190 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

I have used Meguiar's Hyperdressing for nearly as long as I've had my truck. Great stuff especially for the interior. But I'm realistic: who the heck wants to wash then dress the tires and plastics every wash? Not me. It adds an hour at least and I'm sick of it. So I began hunting for a better product that wouldn't wash off. About a month ago a stumbled across Tuff-Shine and the reviews were great on AutoGeek. I also saw the Black restore. So I decided to give it a go and ordered it. I used the Detailing Image and they had a good coupon so everything came to just over $50. The tire kit is usually 35-40 bucks but you can buy the components separately for refills. It's a cleaner and clear coat system that is supposed to last for months. The reviews I read back it up. It's legit and I hope it works out. Let's take a look at how it works.

DSC01193 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

You start with the cleaner. This stuff is fantastic! Per the directions, spray it on the dry tire and let it sit for a minute. Wet the brush and then agitate with the supplied hard bristle brush. You are removing the silicon. This is what turns your tires brown. It becomes embedded in the tire and then discolors. You HAVE to get rid of it so the clear coat adheres.

DSC01191 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

This what you start to see:
DSC01198 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01199 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

It took 3 applications per tire and then one final for good measure for the suds to be white. Once the suds are white, the tire is truly clean. Mike Phillips from AutoGeek even uses an bristle pad on a DA to clean the tires with this cleaner. A clean tire is black and dull like so:

DSC01196 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01197 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

Once the tires are dry, you can apply the clear coat. I topped my car with Meguiar's 26 for a bit more pop while I waited.

DSC01192 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

DSC01194 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

It is runny and milky but just work it in and it will dry. I applied one coat one all four tires and then hit them another time and that was the perfect amount of gloss. It dries right to the tire and continues to get glossy. Upkeep is just soap and water and touch up and necessary. It is not greasy, it looks like shiny rubber. No residue or anything.

Next up was waxing the wheels. I used the 476s again and sealed them right up. Once that was done I reached for the Black Restore. Same idea as the tire coating in that the silicon needs to be off the surface. I hit the plastic with the cleaner from the tire kit but it stayed white so there didn't appear to be any silicon.

DSC01201 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01202 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01200 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

I applied the product and it's like black water. Keep a wet rag handy because any on your paint will harden quickly. It removes fairly easily and is a little black dust as you wipe it. I topped with with the tire clear coat and I hope it saves me time in the future.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 07-05-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 PM

And here are the finished shots. Took me about 6 hours. No paint correction as the car looked fine to me in the sun. I have to do the windows tomorrow and vacuum the inside. I'm very pleased. I'll be tackling my truck in the coming weeks as well. Thanks for reading and let's get some activity going in here!

DSC01203 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

DSC01204 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

DSC01206 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

DSC01205 by Jaldo24, on FlickrFlickr

DSC01209 by Jaldo24, on Flickr
DSC01207 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

DSC01208 by Jaldo24, on Flickr

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 07-05-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 PM

Reserved if needed

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 07-05-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice, never seen the tire sealant before. Might be over kill for a daily driver though.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Great job, it looks awesome. I like the idea, I've moved away from HD on the exterior as well.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great and that was a great write-up. Keep us informed on the tire sealant. I'm currently using Meguire's Hot Shine, but I'm open to something more permanent - that doesn't sling. I only use Hyperdressing on wheel wells, frames and such these days.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks alot! Now i get the dirty look from the wife again when i put the order in for that tire stuff! I have been using Megs Hyper dressing also for years but this looks like something that i would like.

Car looks great!

One of these days when you have a extra 60 bucks burning a hole in your pocket try out the Blackfire Sealant and Carnuba Wax. Its been 3 months since applied on my truck and still looks great, Beads water like the day i put it on. I expect it to last easily 6-9 months

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 07-06-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Nice work. Very informative review. Great pics...GOOD JOB!

Personally I use Nanoskin Speedy prep towel (FINE) grade.
For weekend warrior's there is a Speedy Prep Sponge $12.
I have found the FINE towel does not cause micro marring.

Have you ever used Iron-X before doing the "clay" decon?
Although rare, if needed, I use real ultra clay occasionally.

There are two products I am still looking for the Holy Grail.
They're a tire dressing/coating and a trim dressing/coating.
I'm looking forward to your results in longevity & durability.

Finally Coli waxes. What can be said that's not been said?
I've found all of their products look great & wear like iron.
They are not "show car" waxes but they are great for a DD.
Collinite 915 is highly durable, nice glow & doesn't stain trim.

Again, a very nice product & application review & GREAT results!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Need4racin
nice, never seen the tire sealant before. Might be over kill for a daily driver though.
Just the opposite really. A daily driver is used constantly. Apply it less and have it look good longer. That's exactly the use for it. I know I don't have the interest to spend all that time every week dressing tires. That adds up quick.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Great job, it looks awesome. I like the idea, I've moved away from HD on the exterior as well.
Thank you! The HD is a great product but as you and others say, it's just leaves some to be desired. I love it 3:1 for satin on the interior.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Looks great and that was a great write-up. Keep us informed on the tire sealant. I'm currently using Meguire's Hot Shine, but I'm open to something more permanent - that doesn't sling. I only use Hyperdressing on wheel wells, frames and such these days.
Thank you Tom, appreciate that. This stuff dries like a clear coat. I'll go snap a few pics. Still looks good after a week and some rain.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Thanks alot! Now i get the dirty look from the wife again when i put the order in for that tire stuff! I have been using Megs Hyper dressing also for years but this looks like something that i would like.

Car looks great!

One of these days when you have a extra 60 bucks burning a hole in your pocket try out the Blackfire Sealant and Carnuba Wax. Its been 3 months since applied on my truck and still looks great, Beads water like the day i put it on. I expect it to last easily 6-9 months
I'll have to check that out. It's so addicting. I love trying new products out. Gets $$ though

Old 07-13-2015, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
Nice work. Very informative review. Great pics...GOOD JOB!

Personally I use Nanoskin Speedy prep towel (FINE) grade.
For weekend warrior's there is a Speedy Prep Sponge $12.
I have found the FINE towel does not cause micro marring.

Have you ever used Iron-X before doing the "clay" decon?
Although rare, if needed, I use real ultra clay occasionally.

There are two products I am still looking for the Holy Grail.
They're a tire dressing/coating and a trim dressing/coating.
I'm looking forward to your results in longevity & durability.

Finally Coli waxes. What can be said that's not been said?
I've found all of their products look great & wear like iron.
They are not "show car" waxes but they are great for a DD.
Collinite 915 is highly durable, nice glow & doesn't stain trim.

Again, a very nice product & application review & GREAT results!
Thank you Merlin! I will check those items out. I have heard of Iron X but never used it. The 915 sounds interesting as well. I agree with you: sure there are products that have more pop, but for easy application, longevity and the ridiculously low price, I've become a big Collinite fan.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Updated shots of the tires. I added 1 coat last Thursday. Cleans with soap and water.

Quick Reply: Let's wake this section up! 2015 Taurus SEL AWD detail and prodcut review.