Best Polish

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
It has been quite a while since I have used Meguiars M105. I find it finicky, messy and it dusts heavily.
[/I]
I have never got the hang of M105. I first tried it on a black car and it was a disaster.. Moved up to m205 and never looked back.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I have never got the hang of M105. I first tried it on a black car and it was a disaster.. Moved up to m205 and never looked back.
IMHO M205 does not have the aggressiveness needed to correct (level) imperfections (swirls, fine scratches etc.) in the paint.

M205 is a very nice finishing polish. However, Kevin Brown has written a great little article on Removing paint defects with M205.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IMHO M205 does not have the aggressiveness needed to correct (level) imperfections (swirls, fine scratches etc.) in the paint.

M205 is a very nice finishing polish. However, Kevin Brown has written a great little article on Removing paint defects with M205.
I agree it doesn't have the aggresiveness needed but this was when i was first starting to learn how to detail and didn't have anything to replace the 105 with so i just moved up to the 205. 2 years later i have other products that take the place of 105 and does a good job.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I agree it doesn't have the aggresiveness needed but this was when i was first starting to learn how to detail and didn't have anything to replace the 105 with so i just moved up to the 205. 2 years later i have other products that take the place of 105 and does a good job.
Try the M101. You won't regret it for a minute. I threw my M105 away of after trying M101.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Try the M101. You won't regret it for a minute. I threw my M105 away of after trying M101.
Gotta say, I've been loving my PB's SSR 2.5 (once a yr or so) SSR1, EX-P and Collinite 845 as a topper system that you recommended to me few years ago..

But I'm ready to try something different.. After our most recent conversation I've picked up some M101, M205.. Also some Menzerna Power Lock for this year to try. Now I'm thinking of purchasing some Carpro Reflect "Merlin" recommended too. Think I'll try a different system on a few panels and see what I like best. Should be interesting and can't wait to give it a go..

Old 01-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by tg150
Gotta say, I've been loving my PB's SSR 2.5 (once a yr or so) SSR1, EX-P and Collinite 845 as a topper system that you recommended to me few years ago..

But I'm ready to try something different.. After our most recent conversation I've picked up some M101, M205.. Also some Menzerna Power Lock for this year to try. Now I'm thinking of purchasing some Carpro Reflect "Merlin" recommended too. Think I'll try a different system on a few panels and see what I like best. Should be interesting and can't wait to give it a go..
I think you'll be quite happy with that stash. Remember though, the M101 is for fairly heavy correction. It doesn't sound like your truck needs much of that.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
I think you'll be quite happy with that stash. Remember though, the M101 is for fairly heavy correction. It doesn't sound like your truck needs much of that.
Yeah, I remember you telling me. I'll definitely use it sparingly like on the hood etc, where i need a little more correction. I just thought I'd pick it up to have anyways.. Thanks for the tip, Tom.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
, Kevin Brown has written a great little article on Removing paint defects with M205.
While I agree with KB content, I have never seen such wordiness for something that is so simple & concise...except for documents that come from marketing & legal gurus....

Everything that was said could be surmised in 10 bullets (just like every commercial grade product application guide).....oh I forget, this is Meg's products, yeah, now I understand......

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM
A good OTC product is Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. It has good cleaning ability with a DA polisher and polishing pad.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:35 PM
You have to remember, everyone uses the same substances to formulate their products, what is different is the purity/concentration & price.....typical retail names are much more expensive per ounce than commercial lines.....and much of the time, the "acrylics" (which is what I will call them in the simplist terms) are lessened in most of the retail lines also as compared to the commercial products...meaning, longitivity is less.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
You have to remember, everyone uses the same substances to formulate their products, what is different is the purity/concentration & price.....typical retail names are much more expensive per ounce than commercial lines.....and much of the time, the "acrylics" (which is what I will call them in the simplist terms) are lessened in most of the retail lines also as compared to the commercial products...meaning, longitivity is less.
Here we go again.

1. Everyone does not use the same items to make their polish.

Start with there is SMAT & DAT polishes, so straight out of the gate, the same manufacture can have different formulas, depending on what type the polish is.

One manufacture has a hybrid DAT / SMAT polish that will break down to a certain level and then continue on as a SMAT product.

2. Longevity, correctly termed working time, depends on the product type and the manufacture as well as temperature and humidity when the polish is being used.
I am not too sure which manufacture puts "acrylics" in their polish. Maybe an AIO, but straight polish; no.
- I am sure you will have some unfounded accusations about Megs doing this...

Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Here we go again.

1. Everyone does not use the same items to make their polish.

Start with there is SMAT & DAT polishes, so straight out of the gate, the same manufacture can have different formulas, depending on what type the polish is.

One manufacture has a hybrid DAT / SMAT polish that will break down to a certain level and then continue on as a SMAT product.

2. Longevity, correctly termed working time, depends on the product type and the manufacture as well as temperature and humidity when the polish is being used.
I am not too sure which manufacture puts "acrylics" in their polish. Maybe an AIO, but straight polish; no.
- I am sure you will have some unfounded accusations about Megs doing this...
Look at the patent's......and the SDS's...they spell out specifically what the chemicals/products are, the concentrations, etc......
While the formula's may vary, the chemical compounds DO NOT...Welcome to the land of "Chemistry" there are only soooo many basic compounds list on the periodic table and only soooo many combinations that companies are willing to invest in developing "New" Compounds" (which requires at minimum $500k USD) investment that not only your company agrees is worth it but your liability insurance carrier agrees as well......
Do you really think Meg's (when it was independently owned) really invented from scratch it's own polish....heck no.....they took what was on the market and modified theirs to meet specific needs...referred to as a "design Improvement Patent".....

Old 03-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
A good OTC product is Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. It has good cleaning ability with a DA polisher and polishing pad.
Both Megs Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish are excellent consumer products.
Megs UC is based on the M105/SMAT technology. UC is not as aggressive as M105.
Megs UC has a long working time, no dusting and is not finicky like M105.
It is a great compound for a newbie to learn with for minimal paint correction.

I like to follow polishing with Eraser to inspect the paint while I'm doing correction.
Eraser is also a great cleaner to make sure all polishing residue is removed before LSP.

Quick Reply: Best Polish