Rust Proofing Sprays and Undercoating - Your ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rust Proofing Sprays and Undercoating - Your ideas.

I am having my local LineX dealer spray my Truck Bed and noticed that the place doing this work also offers a Rust Proofing material and an undercoating material by Valugard. They have not pushed these products or process but says that it works well and gives the wheel wells a "finished look".

Looking for thoughts on doing a rustproofing and/or undercoating on my F150 regular cab long bed and also anyone with experience with the Valugard products.

I kept my last truck for 12 years and plan to keep this one for at least 12 years or longer and would like to keep rust to a minimum.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Fluid Film twice a year

Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Fluid Film twice a year
Yes, x2 on this.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluid Film is awesome stuff - if you have the patience and a place to mess up pretty well when applying it. (Overspray and dripping) I've been trying to get a friend of mine to try it for years on his fleet of Ford plow trucks and he finally relented last year and let me do our 2007 F-550 salt truck. Ziebart undercoated the truck when it was new and it never really stuck, so corrosion had already started. I bombed it in November and it appears to have lasted all winter up here. He's now sold on the stuff. But, you need to re-apply it once or twice a year.

Here's an interesting negative to Fluid Film though. Our lead mechanic isn't real fond of it for two reasons. First, he gets pretty well coated with the stuff when he works on the truck. Second - and maybe more importantly - he's quite nervous about a truck with FF on the frame actually slipping off the lift pads on our lift. Yes, that could be ugly.

Undercoat can be a good corrosion preventer, but my personal experience with it (I no longer use it) is that it's very dependent on the product used, the condition of the vehicle and the person applying it. That's a few too many variables for me.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
3M makes an excellent undercoating

Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Fluid Film which I use religiously on my watercraft does attract too much dirt and dust on a road vehicle. The other down side is that it's not readily available which is a major turn off to me so I wind up just using something like Liquid Wrench (I know, I know....But...but.. it's not as sticky as Fluid Film and doesn't attract nearly as much grime)

Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Waxoyl?

First heard of this through Land Rover guys. It's applied once and lasts the life of the truck. They also make another product that works in the body panels

Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fluid film is probably the best yearly spray down against the main two options, proper undercarriage painting ( POR-15 ) and keeping the vehicle out of the winter elements.

Quick Reply: Rust Proofing Sprays and Undercoating - Your ideas.