Griot's or Meg's G110V2??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griots! But its actually made by Shurhold and Griot just stamps there name on it. Its the Shurhold 3100. They also sell repair kits and warranties off there website.

the Meguirs one is great, but the shurhold one is much easier to use with the handle, they also place the on/off switch in a much better position.

Take it from someone with a 8k dollar paintjob. Its all i use.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by bansheerider
The G110 is the older model. Is that the one you're referring to? Or are you talking about the V2?
It is the V2. Had one of the originals, it died pretty quickly, and Megs replaced it with a V2 for me.

One thing to remember, for those thinking about the Flex .. while it is a fantastic machine, it does not do well with the Megs Microfiber system. If that is something you are looking into using, then one of the other three is a better solution than the Flex.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased the GG polisher prob around 2007 and have been using it twice a year since.

First i started out with the Griots products and pads, then I went to Wolfgang products with GG pads. Now I'm using it with Lake Country pads and loving the Poorboys productts.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Works great for my needs and worked great with all the different products and pads ive used.

At the same time I heard great things about the Porter cable and the Flex.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by tg150
I purchased the GG polisher prob around 2007 and have been using it twice a year since.

First i started out with the Griots products and pads, then I went to Wolfgang products with GG pads. Now I'm using it with Lake Country pads and loving the Poorboys productts.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Works great for my needs and worked great with all the different products and pads ive used.

At the same time I heard great things about the Porter cable and the Flex.
I have been hearing that all 3 models are good. I have been using mothers products for a while now and am thinking of switching to Megs. I'll probably end up buying the V2 and all their polishes and waxes.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Bansheerider - You can use ANY DA polisher with any product and just about any pads. Get the GG 6" for the power and warranty.

Then get ANY product you like. I personally use many different types of products. I use Megs DA MF system, Megs M105/M205, Menzerna, Poorboys, Chemical Guys, and many more. It's perfectly normal to use different products for different needs/tasks.

For pads I have just switched to Buff and Shine. Lake country has been having problems with the cut of their foam pads which were causing them to fall apart. The B&S pads are much better and have had NO problems at all. The B&S pads are also marketed under the "uber" name. Get either and you will be great.

I prefer 5.5" pads for my DA. If you want to go to 5.5" pads make sure you get a backing plate (not the once included on the GG) that is for 5.5". I recently ordered a backing place from KB at Buffdaddy. He is cutting down normal backing plates so they fit the 5.5" pads perfectly.

If you want a ton of information look up Live2detail or autogeekonline. I read both of these forums daily. You can also get info on the KB method at buffdaddy.

For some reason I missed this thread being updated, sorry for the delay.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Flash69
Bansheerider - You can use ANY DA polisher with any product and just about any pads. Get the GG 6" for the power and warranty.

Then get ANY product you like. I personally use many different types of products. I use Megs DA MF system, Megs M105/M205, Menzerna, Poorboys, Chemical Guys, and many more. It's perfectly normal to use different products for different needs/tasks.

For pads I have just switched to Buff and Shine. Lake country has been having problems with the cut of their foam pads which were causing them to fall apart. The B&S pads are much better and have had NO problems at all. The B&S pads are also marketed under the "uber" name. Get either and you will be great.

I prefer 5.5" pads for my DA. If you want to go to 5.5" pads make sure you get a backing plate (not the once included on the GG) that is for 5.5". I recently ordered a backing place from KB at Buffdaddy. He is cutting down normal backing plates so they fit the 5.5" pads perfectly.

If you want a ton of information look up Live2detail or autogeekonline. I read both of these forums daily. You can also get info on the KB method at buffdaddy.

For some reason I missed this thread being updated, sorry for the delay.
So the back plate is 5.5" but won't fit any 5.5" pad on the GG?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM
The default backing plate on the GG is to big for 5.5" pads.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
So the back plate is 5.5" but won't fit any 5.5" pad on the GG?
The GG 6" comes with a 6" backing plate. It's too big for 5.5" pads
Hence the description: Griots Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher

The backing plate that comes with the GG 6" is made to work with 6.5" pads.
I would suggest getting the Meguiars W67DA DA Polisher 5 inch Backing Plate.
This BP works well for both the 5.5" foam flat pads & the 5" Megs MF DA system.
The Megs 5" BP fits perfectly with the Meguiars DMC5 DA Microfiber Cutting Discs.

IMHO A good foam pad starter kit (six-pack)
2) 5.5" flat orange
2) 5.5" flat white
1) 5.5" flat blue
1) 5.5" flat black

Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Well I ended up ordering Meg's latest V2 polisher. After watching numerous videos and reading many threads on a countless number of websites I decided on this model. Thanks for the comments and feedback you guys provided. I ordered it through Auto Detailing Solutions (ADS) because it seems they had the best price. I ordered the express kit which comes with a couple of pads.

Once I use it for the first time I will provide some feedback on how it turned out. I will be using it first on the wife's car because it has been neglected for a while. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I will be using it first on the wife's car because it has been neglected for a while. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Thanks!
What pads and polished did you get?
...and yes, I always test and learn how to operate new power tools on the wife's car.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Merlin
What pads and polished did you get?
...and yes, I always test and learn how to operate new power tools on the wife's car.
The express kit comes with two polishing pads and one finishing pad. I am leaning toward Megs ultimate compound for the swirls on my wife's car. I am thinking of using Megs ultimate wax to finish it off. I hear these two products are good together and Walmart sells them both for a decent price. I know there are better Meg's products but most of the stuff you have to order online, going to Walmart or any auto store is much more convenient and easier on the wallet.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't forget, if the finish is too bad, you might want to research the Megs DA MicroFiber kit before investing in more pads and different polish.

The kit was developed to be run on the G110V2 system ( or PC or GG ).

I read a lot of good things about it, when used on those DAs ( not so much on the Flex ). This is an opinion formed from reading only, not actual use. I have not put it to paint yet. I did try the Optimum MF pads in Cut and Polish and with the right product, the will make quick work of defects with a Flex.

One thing I did make note of, the wax in that is in the Megs MF kit is more like a glaze, you still should put a LSP over it when done. This is just what some have reported on different forums.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Megs M105 and M205 are both sold at a couple of auto parts stores where I am.
M105 is more aggressive that Ultimate Compound and a bit more difficult to use.
I suggest, when using M105, to use a spray bottle with water to keep it moist.

The Megs MF kit works (I'd suggest the 5" kit) it includes the 5" backing plate.

Ultimate Compound needs to be followed with Ultimate Polish (like M105/M205)
As far a LSP's that depends on the color and finish (metallic etc.) of your paint.

What are your paint colors/finishes?

If you choose the Megs MF kit you will need to "clean" the disc between panels.
Do you have an air compressor?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
...<snip>...
If you choose the Megs MF kit you will need to "clean" the disc between panels.
Do you have an air compressor?
/hijack/

Do you not suggest the Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad anymore ?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
/hijack/

Do you not suggest the Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad anymore ?
I used the Megs MF system last weekend and yes, the bug sponge works well.
No compressor (although it is the suggested method) needed to "clean" the disc.

Quick Reply: Griot's or Meg's G110V2??