Solution Finish - The Solution To Dull, Faded Plastic & Vinyl Trim

Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When an innovator in the custom car industry comes out with his own surface care product, people tend to perk up and pay attention. Rich Evans, a custom fabricator, painter and designer out of Huntington Beach, California owns and operates a custom shop, Rich Evans Designs. If you've ever seen a one-off car that looked like nothing else you've ever seen, chances are Rich Evans got his hands on it at some point. So when I heard Rich Evan's own product, Solution Finish, would be available at Autogeek, I was eager to get my hands on it to put it to the test.

Solution Finish isn't your typical trim restoration product. Solution Finish utilizes an advanced blend of polymers to restore and protect virtually any black vinyl or plastic surface. While most trim restorers are greasy and oily, Solution Finish dries to the touch and provides long-lasting protection against the elements.

This is what your typical black plastic bumper trim looks like after years of neglect from sitting outside in the sun, unprotected. Solution Finish can be used on black plastic or vinyl trim that's brand new, or it can be used to restore dull, faded trim back to like-new condition.

Before attempting to restore any black plastic or vinyl trim, thoroughly clean it first using a pro-strength cleaner. I chose to use Detailer's Pro Series Cleanse-All because although it's formulated to break up bugs, dirt and grease, it's safe on virtually any automotive surface.

To provide the necessary agitation, I used a Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pad. Microfiber works great to scrub plastic and vinyl trim, releasing dirt and grease.

After thoroughly cleaning the area with DP Cleanse-All, I dried it using a soft microfiber towel. Solution Finish needs to be applied to a CLEAN and DRY surface.

After laying down a tape line, I applied a tiny amount of Solution Finish to a poly foam applicator. Hyper-Concentrated does not even begin to describe how concentrated Solution Finish truly is. Notice how I'm wearing Black Nitrile Gloves? This makes clean-up much easier just in case I get any Solution Finish on my hands.

Solution Finish goes on super thin. With this product, less is more.

I only had to reapply another pea-sized drop to my applicator to complete half of the rear bumper trim.

50/50

A couple more drops of Solution Finish and the rest of the bumper trim was restored to a like-new finish.

Solution Finish is easy to use, goes on extremely thin, and it works. After completely restoring the rear bumper trim to like-new condition, I still had about 85% of the 1 ounce test bottle left.

If you're looking for an alternative trim restoration product for all your faded black vinyl and plastic trim, give Solution Finish a try.

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer

Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the durability and water resistance like? How does it hold up to normal use/driving conditions/weather?? Even if it's an awesome product, is this something I'm gonna have to reapply after ever wash? I'd like to see that bumper you just did after being driven in the rain once and then washed normally once!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Also, is it only for black plastic or can it be used on any plastic trim?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Galaxy
What's the durability and water resistance like? How does it hold up to normal use/driving conditions/weather?? Even if it's an awesome product, is this something I'm gonna have to reapply after ever wash? I'd like to see that bumper you just did after being driven in the rain once and then washed normally once!
Manufacturer claims 12-18 months when applied correctly. I'll be keeping a close eye on the test vehicle to see how well it holds up. So far we've been getting excellent feedback on this product since its debut.

Originally Posted by Red02FX4
Also, is it only for black plastic or can it be used on any plastic trim?
It's designed for black plastic and vinyl trim.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Solution Finish, the product that brings back black trim, is now available in a convenient kit that includes several essential items to help you successfully restore dull, neglected plastic and vinyl surfaces to like-new condition!

Solution Finish isn't your typical trim restoration product. Solution Finish utilizes an advanced blend of polymers to restore and protect virtually any black vinyl or plastic surface. While most trim restorers are greasy and oily, Solution Finish dries to the touch and provides long-lasting protection against the elements.

The Solution Finish Exterior Trim Kit includes:
  • 1 oz. Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer
  • 4 oz. Detailer's Pro Series Cleanse-All Exterior Surface Cleaner
  • 20 Pack of Large Nitrile Gloves
  • 4 Poly Foam Applicators
  • 18mm 3M Scotch 233+ Premium Automotive Masking Tape

With the Solution Finish Exterior Trim Kit, you can take plastic and vinyl trim that looks like this...

Into this!

If you've been looking for a solution to dull, faded plastic and vinyl surfaces, the Solution Finish Exterior Trim Kit includes everything you need to restore plastic and vinyl trim - the right way.

Solution Finish Exterior Trim Kit

Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Any updates on this? Been a few months since the last reply.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Interesting product. Can it be applied over other products such as Showroom Restore? With just the prep kit?

I put two coats of showroom restore on the trim in '08 and parts of the rails need treatment again. The truck is uncovered, the boat gets the canopy and SFLA not kind to things that live in the sun.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Optika1 illushu
Any updates on this? Been a few months since the last reply.
It's still going strong. I'll see if I can get pictures.

Originally Posted by clambelly
Interesting product. Can it be applied over other products such as Showroom Restore? With just the prep kit?

I put two coats of showroom restore on the trim in '08 and parts of the rails need treatment again. The truck is uncovered, the boat gets the canopy and SFLA not kind to things that live in the sun.
Solution Finish is designed to be applied to plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces that are not coated with anything else. If you apply it on top of other products, it will not bond.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ever try it on black door panels? I have some fading door panel fading on my '04 F-150 near the belt molding. Also the belt molding is flat. Will this restore some shine to rubber?
BTW is dryshine out of business?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Bent6
Ever try it on black door panels? I have some fading door panel fading on my '04 F-150 near the belt molding. Also the belt molding is flat. Will this restore some shine to rubber?
BTW is dryshine out of business?
Solution Finish is designed for exterior plastics. I've never personally tested it on interior plastics. I'm not familiar with Dryshine...

If you're looking for something to darken the interior plastics, check out Black Again. This is safe for interior and exterior plastics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solution Finish - The Solution To Dull, Faded Plastic & Vinyl Trim