Ziebart Rust Protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ziebart Rust Protection

I just got a quote here in Northern Virginia from ziebart to rustproof inside and out for 350.00. Does this sound right to you guys. Anybody ever use Ziebart before?

Last edited by Skeezdawg; 07-11-2001 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2001, 08:43 PM
Jag
Save your money. I had my '92 Explorer Ziebarted when new. It contracted the same rear rocker panel cancer that every other Explorer in this part of the country eventually gets.

If you do get yours Ziebarted, read your contract carefully. Mine was written that I had to bring mine back in every year within so many days of the anniversary date of the application to keep the warranty in affect. Miss one, and your screwed (that happened to me, they don't send you a reminder). Also, they may or may not charge a cleaning fee before the inspection, depending on the whims of the store manager.

It's your decision. If it was me, I'd spend the money on something a little more worthwhile, like a dual exhaust.

My $0.02.

Old 07-12-2001, 07:49 AM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up Zie-Bart Protection

Yes, it`s worth it!!!!!!!! Protect your truck. I have all my trucks done! Jag, did you know that your Explorer was covered under Ford warr. ????? 6 yr./ 60,000 miles. I too had this problem with my 91` Explorer Ford had to fix it right , twice!!!!!! The real problem was , it was a design error on Ford`s part up to 94`models, then they fixed them right from the factory after 94`s. The panels never should have been seamed right in front of the rear wheels. Which Ford did call it a design error on their part, later on. I hope this helps you out!!!!!!!
But, yes Zie-Bart helps a great deal , plus I have the Zie-Glaze paint protection too. Never have to wax it . Always l@@ks great year round .
Lariat#1

Old 07-12-2001, 11:36 AM
See sig for my price.
There is a lot of information here on rustproofing. Try a search.

Old 07-12-2001, 11:56 AM
Go for it. That's price sounds right if it's the total rustproof package (undercoat, spray inside the panels). My dad has Ziebarted every new car since the 70's with good results. Yes you do have to go back yearly to keep the warranty intact but they will respray any areas where the undercoat is thin or coming off for no charge. I plan to take my new truck to Ziebart. It will be the 5th vehicle I have had done.

Have you ever compared a 5 year old non-undercoated undercarriage to one that was undercoated when new?? It will make you glad you had yours undercoated.

Steve

Old 07-12-2001, 10:37 PM
Just make sure your undercarriage is rust free if your going to take it to Ziebart. Chances are, they will simply cover the rusted parts and keep on covering it without you being able to notice it unless you crawl under the truck and make a very close inspection.

Old 07-13-2001, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by queetz
Just make sure your undercarriage is rust free if your going to take it to Ziebart. Chances are, they will simply cover the rusted parts and keep on covering it without you being able to notice it unless you crawl under the truck and make a very close inspection.
If you take a vehicle into Ziebart that's not new, they have a package for older vehicles. It' a complete rustproof deal. It takes them 2 days to apply it. They clean the undercarriage and after it dries they apply a rust stopper. They let that sit for awhile and then apply the undercoat. I think they apply the rust stopper on new vehicles also when you get the full undercoat package. It only takes a day because they don't have to clean the underside as much.

Steve

Old 08-09-2001, 10:28 PM
Ive never rustproofed anything neither have my parents and never had probs since about 1980 cars, maybe its cause I live in Texas, I guess if you live up north it might make a diff. Do many cars over 6 years old have lots of rust up north?

Old 08-09-2001, 11:30 PM
DarnEFNET:

To answer your question about the north, I live in the "great white north" and I'll tell ya, I had a K-car Reliant quite a few years back, not protected at all, and I had to dump the thing because the rust got so bad that I could literally see the road going by me under what was left of the floor. Years later, I had a Nissan Micra, which I proofed once, then did it on my own every fall and it had NO rust on the underside of the sucker. I had it for 10 years, driven in rain, sleet, snow, mud, whatever. It was never parked for more than a weekend. So, if this means anything, it means it worked for a car that is only a few inches above the ground (which is a factor to consider aswell compared to the height of say a 4X4)

Something I don't understand though, is why the hell do we still use salt on the roads? It's been proven to screw up the water systems, and create other environmental problems. Sure, it works better than anything else, i.e. sand, pebbles, etc. but jeez, it sure takes its toll on our vehicles. So if anyone wonders weather or not (ha ha, excuse the pun) to have the rustproofing done, my answer is this: if it snows anywhere near your truck, DO IT. Not to mention, you can do it yourself after they do the first one anyway.

sorry about the long posting, hope this helps....

Old 08-14-2001, 10:09 PM
No major problems here in the burbs of New York. The Ford and GM trucks have held up well. Many locals here no longer bother with getting after market rust proofing. Some of the imported mini-pickups still have rust problems, as did I once with a Toyota.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Go for it!

As I've posted previously Ziebart is well worth the money! Although this was my first vehicle I've has rustproofed, my father has on his for the last 20+ years and never had a rust problem.

My package was a bit pricey, to the tune of $400 but I went with both the rustproofing and undercoating. Rustproofing benefits aside, I love how the truck looks with the undercoating which is jet black. My rear axle and diff look like it was painted, as does the underside of the entire truck. The inside of the wheel wells on my truck weren't completely painted, with primer showing in many places. Again, the undercoating covered the thin paint, and also looks really good in contrast to the Bright Red paint.

So just another thing to keep in mind if considering rustproofing, it can make your truck look better underneath, and for a long while to come.

Old 08-21-2001, 04:50 PM
Undercoating

I have restored a couple of cars and I purchased a special spray gun made by 3M for applying their 'Rocker Schutz' and undercoating. These are excellent products and spray on very thick. The gun cost about $30 and a quart of product cost $15 and is enough to do at least one wheel well with a couple of coats. The undercoating on both of my cars has lasted for many years even after using high pressure hose at car wash many times.

I am in the process of trying to purchase a new F-150 and I am thinking of adding more undercoating to fender wells. Do you have any suggestions? May be worth the trouble to spray the undercarriage also.

I am also wondering how many chassis parts are unpainted or unfinished? May be worth the time and trouble to paint axles, suspension components, etc, with some acrylic enamel paint (w/ hardener) to product all the bare parts? Any suggestions?

Old 08-21-2001, 06:22 PM
My Ziebart experience.

Here's more information.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...&threadid=4109

Quick Reply: Ziebart Rust Protection