rust spots on white

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust spots on white

I have a white truck and noticed while washing the other day that there are little dots of rust in various spots (like rail dust?) Is there a way to fix this other then a repaint? If not, how can I prevent stuff like this in the future. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Have you tried a clay bar yet?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What you have is actually more common than most people think. It's just that it shows up more easily on white. As has already been stated, clay - used with proper lubrication - will generally take care of it. A mild polish (like Poor Boys SSR1 for instance) will generally finish removing any stains. Follow it up with a good LSP to protect the paint.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Have you tried a clay bar yet?
I noticed them for the first time when I was quick detailing the truck after washing the other day. I had not noticed them previously, but it had been about 3 weeks since I had last washed it. I had to clay bar some stuff on the roof but do not recall if I specifically clay barred these... I will try it.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
What you have is actually more common than most people think. It's just that it shows up more easily on white. As has already been stated, clay - used with proper lubrication - will generally take care of it. A mild polish (like Poor Boys SSR1 for instance) will generally finish removing any stains. Follow it up with a good LSP to protect the paint.
Do you have a suggestion of a mild polish like this from Meguiars? I use their quick detailer and clay bar so I figure it is best to stay with the same company. Also, what is an LSP? Can this all be done by hand? Any tips when doing it by hand? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Do you have a suggestion of a mild polish like this from Meguiars? I use their quick detailer and clay bar so I figure it is best to stay with the same company. Also, what is an LSP? Can this all be done by hand? Any tips when doing it by hand? Thanks!
From Meg's I'd suggest either the #80 Speed Glaze or the maybe the newer M205, but both of them are better applied with something like a Porter-Cable or a Flex on a foam pad. (That takes some experience to do right.) I wouldn't recommend using them by hand.

As for LSP - that's an acronym for Last Step Product. It's generally a wax or synthetic sealant. As you might know, most of the "waxes" you find in stores are actually a combination of cleaners, fillers and some sort of wax / sealant. A true LSP is only the last stuff. Those of us who do detailing on a somewhat regular basis like to use separate products for separate problems.

As for "doing it by hand," I could get in all sorts of trouble for giving advice on hand jobs on a family site, but here's a few hints. Always make sure you have a clean surface first. Always use a clean, foam applicator. Never use too much product and be careful where you place it. (Textured trim hates wax.) Apply it with light pressure in circles. Remove it with clean microfiber towels.

Actually, if you check out the sticky at the top of this forum - or go to The Detailers Cafe - you'll find a ton of hints. Hope that helps!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
For use by hand, what about Megs Ultimate Compound, or is that too harsh? If that's too harsh, then maybe Deep Crystal Step 1 or ColorX. Follow that up with NXT 2.0 as your "LSP".

Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've noticed these on my truck. All it took was a clay bar. Use a little pressure and they'll vanish. You really don't need anything else to remove them.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked

Yeah, I've been dealing with this stuff on the wifes white Vue since she got it. My question is though, what actually is it?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
Yeah, I've been dealing with this stuff on the wifes white Vue since she got it. My question is though, what actually is it?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I've always figured it was brake dust / rail dust. These tiny pieces metal get stuck in the clear coat and eventually begin to rust forming these little spots.

As I said, all it took was a clay bar and they were completely gone. You really do not need any strong abrasives or compounds for this.

It is very common. It just shows up better on white.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I will put some muscle into my clay bar first and if that does not work will try the other stuff. Sorry, I didn't even thing about the hand thing

Old 11-12-2009, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Thanks for the help guys. I will put some muscle into my clay bar first and if that does not work will try the other stuff. Sorry, I didn't even thing about the hand thing
Let us know how that goes. If you put a little pressure and work over each spot, you'll see them vanish.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Let us know how that goes. If you put a little pressure and work over each spot, you'll see them vanish.
Sounds good... I'll let you know... it may take a bit with stuff going on in my life though.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Ive also noticed these on my roof. I like your truck a lot, I also have a white XL and i'm in the process of doing pretty much the same mods.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF (big if) the spots are really 'rail dust', then another option is the ValuGuard http://www.valugard.net/cms/xramp/Va...4/Default.aspx three step process. Several auto anufacturers recommend this and there's even a Ford TSB http://www.valugard.net/cms/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=yJ444n0cg9U%3d&tabid=94& mid=463.

Quick Reply: rust spots on white