Cleaning the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to laugh at all of you fine ford loving folks when it comes to cleaning out your engine bays. All the worry about water going into the bay and knocking out sensors... how do you think the dirt gets in there? Or what happens to the engine bay when you are driving down the road during a rain storm? ****, for those of us here in the north or places that use rock salt on roads in the winter, its worse just to leave that dirt/grim in there!

Just get out your garden hose and put a 'normal' nozzle on the hose, not one of those ones used to wash and wax cause the average person is too lazy, and spray the bay out! I am one of those that never have experienced a problem with hitting it with a pressure washer. Although I also don't put the wand right close to anything on the engine! I use a garden hose most of the time anyways, i just don't let mine get that messy long enough to dry on.

my 2 cents

Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

take mine to the $0.25 wash all the time, never use the brush.

Outside
Rinse, soap, rinse

Pop hood, start truck.

Raise engine bay, set to rinse, hold gun as far away as I can, and hit it lightly a few times and I am done, I avoid spraying where it might hit my CAI or my PCM.

My thoughts?

As long as you don't pound on the engine bay holding the sprayer as close as you can you have nothing to worry about, heck I spray mine whit the CAI uncovered and truck running.

its silly to think that a little water is gonna hurt it, water gets in the engine bay all the time when you drive in a rain or snow storm. as well as salt, mud and dust and dirt.

I figured that holding the sprayer as far back as I could and only hitting then letting off the sprayer won't hurt it, gun is far enough back so that the water is not hitting with all that much force.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:33 PM
To the OP....

JJG and 2Stroked already gave you solid advice...

I like the air on the cautious side in this area in particular.

This is what I do, may or may not work for you.

MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS COLD....period

Open the hood, spray the crap out of the bay with APC+.....allow to dwell a few min. I like to use a soft brush on the areas that I can reach etc...Then using the hose..take the end off and use your thumb as the trigger to get pressure, then lightly rinse the areas. If you need more repeat. Them make sure you start the car/truck.

I would like to echo that if you feel hesitant to do this, use a spray and walk away product like JJG suggested.

If you want to get over the top **** about it. Put on a pair of rubber gloves and totally saturate an old towel with APC+ and clean the bay by hand. USE A GLOVE or your skin will come off, don't ask me why I know this.

Cheers

The RollingRock

Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by mtnbikes
After reading this I think I will pass on cleaning my engine bay when the time comes.
I was also terrified at the thought of engine cleaning after reading some of these posts. I looked at a before and after picture on this thread and decided to just use a detailing product sprayed onto a rag, and just wipe things down under there. That would make it look a lot better under the hood without running the risk of damaging anything.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:04 PM
I let the dealer do mine...

When I ask they do it for free...with a power washer...with the engine running...then they spray what looks like hyper dressing with a pump bottle everywhere.
They don't cover anything but it seems they know where not to spray.
They have done it 5 times in 125K miles.
Never a problem.

If they mess it up they know they will have to fix it...free.
After reading post here long ago, I decided not to try it at home.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
That sounds like a sweet deal, you get clean engine bay without the worry of repair..would you like some ice cream with that cake that you have and also get to eat?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I never knew there was a problem spraying the 5.4 3V with water until I started reading here after 3 washes and 100K. I have been dealing with them since 2002 and have sent them plenty of business as well as my own.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
shoulda sprayed some wd-40 old dogg (inside joke)

Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by chevyman96
I went to the store to get some...for an experiment, and they told me you had bought them out.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
For light soiling like yours as strange as it sounds I would recomend one of those foaming no touch tire shine sprays. Not a super slick kind. Just the normal STP foam type stuff. It does a pretty good job on just dust and such. Worth a try if you're super worried
Alright, thanks!

Originally Posted by tarajerame
that BLUE WIRE has got to get moved
I might as well remove it, the AMP isn't even hooked up to a sub.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
The best engine degreaser on the market is called Grime Reaper...look it up. Follow the instructions and you will be amazed how good this stuff is. I use it in my detailing business and I have tried way to many product looking for the best one.....I found it.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by chevyman96

i really gotta know. what in the hell are you doin on this site with all your chevy jazz? come on!

"those who would rather push a chevy than drive a ford, usually do!!"

Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always hand clean my engine and never bring a hose near it... If you do it regularly it doesn't take that much effort...

Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow that engine bay looks awesome! Looks brand new.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I have had 3 different Fords, I do the:

1. Warm the engine
2. Spray degreaser/soap on all areas
3. Let sit for 15 minutes
4. Lightly hose off everything
5. Use some way to blow the area dry (compressed air or some type of air pressure)

Quick Reply: Cleaning the engine bay