Dark Ink Blue Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Ink Blue Metallic

Need some advice from you OCDers out there. I love the color of my wifes edge Dark Ink Blue Metallic and want to go after it this week. On vacation and we have a few days that looks like it is gunna be 74 degrees and raining.

Gunna give it a claying and just wondering if anyone has had any product recomendations for this color.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Outside of Turtle Wax's Black Box, I don't think most claybar kits are color specific/dependant. I use the Black Box on my FX4 and Mustang, but before I found out about that, I used Meguiar's Claybar Kit. I think I qualify for the OCD label, and Megiuar's suits my needs and my wallet.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's an awesome color, but recommending what you do to get the most out of it is kind of tough without knowing what kind of shape it's in. For almost any dark colred vehicle though, you're going to have at least some level of marring in the surface which in order to really bring the color out, needs to be removed. Now there are some great products out there to temporarily hide that kind of stuff (Poor Boys Black Hole for instance), but if you want to truly correct the defects, you're going to need a PC, Flex or maybe even a rotary buffer. Then you're going to need to right products, pressure, speed, etc. to correct the surface.

Do you have any access to any of that hardware mentioned above or are you looking for a one step product / miracle? I do ask that question in all seriousness too.

BTW: This is just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't recommend any Turtle Wax product for even a lawn mower.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 PM
As 2stroked pointed out, a machine polisher will help if you're after defect removal or that flawless shine. But if you don't have access to one you can still do a considerable amount by hand. It won't be nearly as effective, but it will make a noticeable difference. What is it exactly you're looking to accomplish?

Keep turtle wax away from your paint.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 PM
pics 56k warning!!!!

The only thing I use Turtle Wax on is my wedding ring. If it falls apart I am no longer married right?

I have a Pneumatic DA and a 30 gallon compressor but the paint isnt in that bad of shape. I went at it with my Craftsman Buffer after I clayed it. Used Mequires Swirl x then used deep crystal polish and Deep crystal Wax.

This is all to distract her from my leveling kit showing up from hell bent tomorrow. I even cleaned the undermolding and polished her tips. this backfired when she said "its supposed to rain tomorrow, now I will have to take your truck"

Last edited by Jughed; 09-25-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:08 AM
Former Sponsor
if you plan on washing and claying I would have to suggest polishing before you wax.

clay is an abrasive so it will mar your paint as 2stroked mentioned above.

Facts about clay

Polishing by machine

or
Polishing by hand

Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by detailersdomain
if you plan on washing and claying I would have to suggest polishing before you wax.

clay is an abrasive so it will mar your paint as 2stroked mentioned above.

Facts about clay

Polishing by machine

or
Polishing by hand
yeah I washed with dishsoap, clayed, megs swirl x, then polished , then waxed.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Don't use dishsoap if you can help it. No need if you are going to clay, the clay will strip the wax. Dishsoap can be harmful to clearcoat if used too much.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking to just give it a good detail before winter I would opt for Meguiars smooth clay bar kit. It will contain 2 clay bars, a bottle of QD which you will need as lubricant and a sample bottle of Cleaner wax. The clay bar in this kit is very mild and will not harm your paint one bit. Just follow the instructions.

If you have any swirls or blemishes you want to take care of you may try megs Swirlx or Scratchx 2.0 depending on how severe. Then follow all that up with a good LSP. NXT Tech wax 2.0 is a good one that is very easy to apply and take off by hand. 2 thin coats with 12-24 hours between ought to do her.

Now if you want to take out the individual polishing and waxing steps with one AIO product, I would recommend megs ColorX. http://www.autogeek.net/g11816.html

This is designed to polish as well as remove light swirls, oxidation etc.. and wax in one step. In fact I used this on my brothers Edge which is black and it turned out very nice. All of these products I've listed can be purchased over the counter at most auto stores that carry Meguiars.

Last edited by birdshooter; 09-24-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Dark Ink Blue Metallic