scrathes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scrathes!!!!

i have a few long scratches from offroading on the sides of my truck. also on the hood where someone thought it would be funny to use a a rough sponge to clean something off of it and left a bunch of scratches.

is there anything i can do to take out the scratches they arent that bad...

also it seems like somone hit me when they were trying to park and didnt man up to it so i have 3 decent size scrathes on my passenger side maybe 1"by 1" marks. how much should i expect it to be to touch up paint them? is it possible to do them myself without a paint gun???

Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Try Meguiars ScratchX 2.0, available just about anywhere. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, there isn't much you can do without a repaint though.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Scratch x is a good call.

Also get a power tool to help (porter-cable and not rotary). Polishing by hand is useless.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 AM
ok. whats the most you guys would pay for a touch up paint job? like just on the doors of my truck where people have dinged them while getting out of other cars and things like that?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
While working by hand certainly can't produce the level of correction a machine can, it's far far from useless. You may be doing more covering than actually correcting, but for the average truck guy if you can't see it, who cares.
There are several products that are cleared for use by hand. ScratchX, SwirlX, Meg's #80, #105, #9 just to name a few from my own box and personal use. There are many others.
If you're working by hand you'd better have arms of steel, becuase there's a LOT of paint there.

I deal with those long rub marks a few times a year. Here we call them "Texas Pinstripes". The Mesquite here causes them every time I go camping/off roading and many times when hunting. I use a machine based method now. However before I had my machines I took care of them by hand.
Clay, ScratchX, #9, #7, wax of choice. Should take care of any light rub marks. Even Meg's retail store 3 step process isn't bad for hand use. But it'll kill your arms quick fast. Just ask FX4Life.

Quick Reply: scrathes!!!!