Pimpin my shiny Type II Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pimpin my shiny Type II Water Spots

I can live with the fact that I may have OCD issues, but now I'm figuring I also have grand paranoia issues to boot. I believe everything written about getting these spots out is aimed at making me think it is possible to remove them. It's a cruel trick to see how far I'll go before I put the DA in the driveway and run over it. I waive the white flag on these water etchings and may just decide to never wash this truck ever again.

I've tried vinegar, I've tried #2, 4, 80, 83, 105, 205, Scratch X 2.0. I've tried polishing pads, cutting pads. I've tried the DA, I've tried by hand. I did SEVEN passes of m105 on a cutting pad - I got shiny water etchings. Do I qualify for Car Crazy yet?

I know a lot of people bow down to Mike, but like a cranky child not getting his way I'm calling BS on this post

Really, I'm not bitter just learning to live with my shiny spots.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow. 7 passes with M105 and a cutting pad is a lot. Depending on speed and pressure, that should have taken care of nearly any paint defect that isn't completely through the clear.

What color is your truck? Do you have any pics of the spots?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The conspiracy deepens...I took some pics and the dang spots don't show in them. Could be the lighting in the garage, once I get the back half done I'll try some more in the driveway. The spots can be seen at about a 22 degree angle anywhere from 3-4 away to right up on top of it.

The color is Medium Wedgewood, you know the not dark, not light blue.

BTW, the trouble area I was working on is on my Snuglid. I've also got the spots on the roof and hood. I haven't started on the front half of the truck yet. The roof I could care less about, it's this dang 8' x 5' lid - nothing but problems with it from day one.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Is it clear coat or gel coat?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Is it clear coat or gel coat?

Good question. If the cover is gel coated, Meguiars makes a line of cleaners for gel coated surfaces.

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product/Gel-Coat-Clean

Last edited by birdshooter; 08-21-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by hwm3
Wow. 7 passes with M105 and a cutting pad is a lot. Depending on speed and pressure, that should have taken care of nearly any paint defect that isn't completely through the clear.

What color is your truck? Do you have any pics of the spots?
No kidding, i would have stopped at pass 2 and went the wetsand route.

Oh wait, I recently did that...

Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM
From what I could find out the cover is Dupont paint and cleared.

No matter what I try I cannot capture these spots with the camera. When the truck is in the garage you can definitely see them when looking at an angle. I put down some 7 and 16 and called it a day. From a few feet back you can't see a thing wrong with it and I'll have to live with it. The only other option I think I have is get a rotary and learn how to use it or have it reshot someday. There were other factory defects in it like a spider web crack about 3" in diameter and a few fish eyes. Lifetime warranty is useless when you have to pay to send it back 600 miles and the thing weighs a ton.

I started on the front end last night and went after 1/2 hood with some 105 on a hand pad. For the first 10 seconds or so it sounds like sand paper In just one pass with the hand pad I got a fair amount accomplished, which leads me to believe the clear on the lid is very hard, at least when compared to the Ford clear. Another pass with the hand or DA and I'm pretty sure it'll look close to new.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
From what I could find out the cover is Dupont paint and cleared.

No matter what I try I cannot capture these spots with the camera. When the truck is in the garage you can definitely see them when looking at an angle. I put down some 7 and 16 and called it a day. From a few feet back you can't see a thing wrong with it and I'll have to live with it. The only other option I think I have is get a rotary and learn how to use it or have it reshot someday. There were other factory defects in it like a spider web crack about 3" in diameter and a few fish eyes. Lifetime warranty is useless when you have to pay to send it back 600 miles and the thing weighs a ton.

I started on the front end last night and went after 1/2 hood with some 105 on a hand pad. For the first 10 seconds or so it sounds like sand paper In just one pass with the hand pad I got a fair amount accomplished, which leads me to believe the clear on the lid is very hard, at least when compared to the Ford clear. Another pass with the hand or DA and I'm pretty sure it'll look close to new.
Do they look like this by chance?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Do they look like this by chance?
Yes. Also like this:

The spots on the hood and roof are a bit different looking. Their outline is much thinner and lower i.e. the lid spots have a thicker, more pronounced outline. None of the spots can be felt by hand. I just got done cutting the hood and roof. I can live with the results there, they are much harder to 'spot'

Old 08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
This is my after shot

I had acid rain/etched/fallout on this sucker....

If you want to know how I did it...click here
http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/...hp?topic=681.0

You need to be sure you are ready to take it the next step.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
You need to be sure you are ready to take it the next step.
The next step is to reserve an airline ticket for you to Pittsburgh.

If there could possibly be two words that I fear more than "it's cancer" or "i'm pregnant" it would be WET SANDING. However, the pics you put up just may convince me to try a small section, maybe on the roof, since I've got the spots on the truck and the Mustang. I appreciate the write up and video!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
The next step is to reserve an airline ticket for you to Pittsburgh.

If there could possibly be two words that I fear more than "it's cancer" or "i'm pregnant" it would be WET SANDING. However, the pics you put up just may convince me to try a small section, maybe on the roof, since I've got the spots on the truck and the Mustang. I appreciate the write up and video!
I hear ya, I was in your spot when I bought this used truck...granted it was an 08 but it lived a hard life on the paint.

this was my first attempt at wet sanding and I don't advise it unless it is the last resort, however, I did learn that I did it a tad wrong. The proper way is to sand in the same direction unlike what I did but that being said, I did remove most of the spots that I couldn't get out. I should advise you it did take me 3 days. I started on Friday night at 5:30 and finished around 7 pm on Sunday. You can do it faster but I don't advise it. Take your time and check your work. The 3K sand paper is pretty safe.

If you need help watch the video and check out the cafe...

If you get stuck or need a peep talk....us guys/gals at the cafe frequent here so you know where to find us.

Quick Reply: Pimpin my shiny Type II Water Spots