Clay bar remove scuffs in paint?

Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar remove scuffs in paint?

So, last Saturday I came out of Lowes to find that someone had hit the side of my truck and left. Bastards. Whatever they were driving left blue paint scuffs on the side of my truck which is def not my paint, I'm hoping my paint is ok underneath.

Would a clay bar be the best way to remove this?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Probably not. Ultimate Compound or even multiple passes with the new ScratchX 2.0 will remove most of it, if not all. But are you sure it didn't go through the clear?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe? Wouldn't you wanna clay to try to remove as much as you could before polishing?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Highly recommend the following....

1. Using a soft cloth, wipe the surface with alcohol, kerosene, stoddard solvent or similar degreaser- the purpose is to possibly remove/soften any paint that has been left from the other vehicle (less rubbing with polish is hopefully required)
2. using a sponge/foam pad, 1st try 3M hand glaze- it is a paint cleaner/swirl mark remover and depending on the quantity of paint/damage can remove/correct many situations.
3. If the Hand glaze is ineffective, use 3M Finnesse-It II. This a very fine polish that will polish/remove surface marks. Then use the Hand glaze to remove any final swirl marks/imperfections

3m products are available at any autobody paint supply store or online at 3M automotive. Remember, the clear coat is very thin on most OEM paint, instead of rubbing in a circle, rub in the direction of the scuff. If it has gone through the clearcoat but not the base coat, don't fret (too much) as if you have a airbrush 9or know someone who has one) you can apply a very this application of clear over the area 9just make sure you use a hardener so the shine is duplicated0, then gently wet sand with 3000 grit, polish, hand glaze and you're done!

Also, clay bar is not a recommended procedure/product by Ford, GM, Chrysler for removal of any paint contaminent (as stated in the factory service manuals) nor by PPG, GE or Sherwin Williams (the 3 most prominent auto paint mfg's in the US). While there are specific (and very limited) uses for claybar, i would not recommend using any "name brand retailer's" off the shelf product. The question to ask yourself is this, "would I wet sand my paint to solve this imperfection?" Thats what claybar does- Meguiar's for example has a grit rating of 3500 (approx)- and is considered to be very coarse by industry standards (as compared to professional spec products such as Prowax whose clay bar is rated at 5000 grit).

Last edited by beechkid; 08-07-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Elvato - That's what I'm thinking. Hoping it will remove as much of the other guys paint and contaminanets as possible before using other products.

Skater - I won't know for sure if it went through the clear or not until I remove the other guys paint off my truck. It feels rough, almost raised to the touch so I'm hoping its just on the surface.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks Beech, I'll have to stop by the autoparts store tonight on the way home. I plan on washing tonight and cleaning in the morning.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beechkid
Also, clay bar is not a recommended procedure/product by Ford, GM, Chrysler for removal of any paint contaminent (as stated in the factory service manuals) nor by PPG, GE or Sherwin Williams (the 3 most prominent auto paint mfg's in the US). While there are specific (and very limited) uses for claybar, i would not recommend using any "name brand retailer's" off the shelf product. The question to ask yourself is this, "would I wet sand my paint to solve this imperfection?" Thats what claybar does- Meguiar's for example has a grit rating of 3500 (approx)- and is considered to be very coarse by industry standards (as compared to professional spec products such as Prowax whose clay bar is rated at 5000 grit).
Care to share this documentation in the service manuals that state clay bars are not recommended?

I for one would like to see such documentation.

Personally, I have used Megs clay bars (smooth clay kit) on my 09 F-150 with great success.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I only use clay bar to clean and prep my paint surface. It's not created to fix paint damage. Just pull contaminants out of the paint. Use a DA with a light finish polish to remove scratches.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
Care to share this documentation in the service manuals that state clay bars are not recommended?

I for one would like to see such documentation.

Personally, I have used Megs clay bars (smooth clay kit) on my 09 F-150 with great success.
He's posted it before. Don't remember the thread, but, IIRC, it was an older service manual (was it a 94?), but I could be wrong.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Pay no mind. You can find thousands upon thousands of people, both pro and rookie, that swear by the clay bar. This is probably the second time i've seen someone claim claybars are not recommended. But if it works, which it does, keep using it. I've yet to see any kind of damage done by using clay on your paint.

I even use it on my black truck, which i strive to keep swirl-free.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nikko
So, last Saturday I came out of Lowes to find that someone had hit the side of my truck and left. Bastards. Whatever they were driving left blue paint scuffs on the side of my truck which is def not my paint, I'm hoping my paint is ok underneath.

Sounds like a blue Lowe's shopping cart to me, especially if the parking lot wasn't completely level. I've saved several trucks at Lowe's before because people were too inconsiderate to put their carts back.

There was an older gentleman sitting in his Taco one time talking on the phone and I had parked a few spots away from him. I got out and noticed the big blue cart rolling right at his truck. Ran over and saved him some hassle.

Can you post any pics of it?

Last edited by mblouir; 08-08-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 PM
I work at lowes and if i were you i would go in there and ask for the LP or Store manager and tell them you want to look at the Video tapes from that day and see who it was and what their liscence plate number is. You can get them for hit and run. We have had numerous people come in and look at the tapes to see who scratched, hit or stole something out of their car/truck.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I came up with a process for removing scuff marks , Just did it to my truck and it worked. I started with non acetone fingernail polish remover. Then I used a little Purple Power degreaser to wipe it clean.. I then took some headlight restore renew cleaners ,went over the scuff mark.. After I got it off I followed up with 2 good heavy coats od wax..

Old 08-09-2009, 11:22 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Pay no attention to beechkid - he's been posting here continuously not to use clay - based on 15 year old manuals. Ask professional detailers - I think you will find a vast majority of them these days use clay. It is VERY safe if used properly - which is use PLENTY of quick detailer as a lube, and LIGHT pressure.

I have no issue with his 3M product recommendations - they have been one of the main choices of pros for years.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Wish my Lowes was as helpful as yours. I went back in immediately and was told I needed to speak with the Loss Prevention person but she wasn't in. Days later still no word, spoke with two managers, both told me I couldn't see the tapes. I counted the spots to where I was parked and told them the description of the truck for them to view the tapes. Afterward all they told me was that the tapes didnt show anything happen to my truck, the camera is on a 1 minute rotation of the parking lot and may have missed the incident. Worthless.

So I used some Goo Gone to remove some of the blue paint, and washed it. Looks better but still visible. I'll probably try the polish and some scratch X next.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clay bar remove scuffs in paint?