Just bought a lot of meguiar's product, now what??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a lot of meguiar's product, now what??

Alright, I've read through most of the forums so I sort of have a clue but still feel like a retard. Truck is an 02 f150 screw 4x4, gold bottom half, black top half with a topper. Paint looks good but does have swirls/small scratches and likely was rarely waxed by previous owner. Live in Western Canada, so not overly hot, and lot's of sand/salt in the winter. Will be garaged when home. Here's what I just spent a stupid (in my cheap opinion) amount of money on-Meg's Deep Crystal Car Wash, a wool mit and a cheap mit for the wheels, the Smooth Surfaced clay kit plus an extra bottle of cleaner wax, the DC three step paint cleaner/polish/carn wax, plastX, scratchX2.0. I already have a 10" orbital polisher, a couple cheaper chamois, terry towels, polishing bonnets, applicator pads and that's about it. Washing should be straight forward, I watched the video's, but with the Clay Kit/cleaner wax, do I skip that 3-step process, or do it before/after? When should the scratchX go on for the deeper scratches? Should I practice on my 94 black camaro (lot's of swirls/scratches and for sale) first then tackle the truck. Anyone care to just tell me what to do instead of suggest various options... I'm sorry to be stupid, I'm very **** about clean, just ask my wife, but I've never owned a vehicle worth the effort.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Wash and dry, clay bar, scratch x, wax

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Also, that orbital polisher is only good for LSP (last step products). It won't help remove scratches. You will need to do this by hand with the scratch X 2.0... and you won't want to do the whole car by hand.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Read the detailing sticky!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Hey tcope
Also, that orbital polisher is only good for LSP (last step products). It won't help remove scratches.
Now you probably know I just bought a Meg's G110 DA machine.

However, I had heard that a straight up orbital machine "can" {in the right, trained hands} remove scratches, swirls, defects, etc, way faster than a DA machine..... although it can be very tricky to not have it leave swirl marks of its own behind, also.

Anyway, I just kind of looked at orbitals as maybe a better choice for your first steps / correction.... and a DA for the LSP's, since it would be most likely to remove the swirls that the orbital left behind..... No ?

Peace,
Fish

Old 08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Hey tcope

Now you probably know I just bought a Meg's G110 DA machine.

However, I had heard that a straight up orbital machine "can" {in the right, trained hands} remove scratches, swirls, defects, etc, way faster than a DA machine..... although it can be very tricky to not have it leave swirl marks of its own behind, also.

Anyway, I just kind of looked at orbitals as maybe a better choice for your first steps / correction.... and a DA for the LSP's, since it would be most likely to remove the swirls that the orbital left behind..... No ?

Peace,
Fish
Your thinking of a rotary, not a orbital. A orbital like the OP has is the cheap ones you can get at autozone.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Doh ! Your right !

Carry on

Fish

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
HeHeHe Chris thanks for the laugh. Youngtimer do you have any foam bonnets for the orbital? If not get some, you can apply the cleaner (step 1) by hand. Polish (step 2) with the orbital and foam pad but dont let it dry all the work is done in the application. Then step 3 your choice of wax. Clay goes first of course. Good luck. The pic in my sig was done with a 9'' orbital (sears) clay on the hood,#80 and #21.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Orbitals do have thier place for the hobbiest and otc polishes. I used one for many years with decent results. Of course I was doing MUCH more covering of swirls than I was removing defects. Suprisingly enough Wal-Mart has some microfiber bonnets that are nice and fluffy. the MF bonnets from o'rielys and autozone were crap. Definitely not a match for a DA and/or Rotary but not completely worthless.

My suggestions using what you listed here's my suggestions sight unseen.

ditch the cleaner wax that came with the clay.

Wash
Clay
Scratch-X
Step 1
Step 2
Step 3

Pretty straight forward. The orbital will be alright with good bonnets applying step 2 & 3. Remove all by hand with a microfiber towel.

And your arms are going to feel like lead weights if you do it all in one day. hehe

Pretty straight forward.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
HeHeHe Chris thanks for the laugh. Youngtimer do you have any foam bonnets for the orbital? If not get some, you can apply the cleaner (step 1) by hand. Polish (step 2) with the orbital and foam pad but dont let it dry all the work is done in the application. Then step 3 your choice of wax. Clay goes first of course. Good luck. The pic in my sig was done with a 9'' orbital (sears) clay on the hood,#80 and #21.
I bought a foam bonnet for an orbital machine. One thing to watch out for is that they are very thin and can rip _vary_ easily when putting them on or taking them off.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the directions, I did read the sticky previously but doing my own product research, I felt a little overwhelmed. I don't have a foam bonnet, but did get a simoniz microfibre polishing bonnet, other than the cheap cotton ones that came with the orbiter, will it do or just take it back and find foam? If I ever get a day or two to actually get at the truck I'll post a pic, it's nothing fancy but I think it looks nice.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
And I sure hope it comes out looking even half as nice as all your trucks!!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I favor the foam over the terry cloth and MF but its your choice. Take your time im sure it will look good.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I have never used a clay bar. How does it work in the process of washing and waxing?

Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
BPJ
Originally Posted by TX_FX4
I have never used a clay bar. How does it work in the process of washing and waxing?
Wash the truck, then clay.

Wash
Clay
Swirl Remover
Polish
Glaze if you want ( Optional)
Sealant or Wax

Quick Reply: Just bought a lot of meguiar's product, now what??