Ordering M105/M205 for use with PC--which pads??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ordering M105/M205 for use with PC--which pads??

Probably ordering from Rick over at ADS since it's the only site I've found with the 12 oz sampler sizes of both M105/205. I'm fairly certain a soda can full of both products should be plenty for one good detail. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I'll buy more of each in the future, but I won't have time for another full detail until next summer thanks to college.

Anyways, I have the PC 7424 and the only pads I have are from Adams Polishes. I think they're 7.5" pads, so I'm certain I'm missing some cutting power here. I only have one orange, one white, and one black pad (cutting, polishing, finishing). I'd like to change it up and get something with a bit more kick to it...not to mention that the pads I currently have are getting worn a bit.

My question is which pads should I order for my PC? I've heard good things about Lake Country pads. I'm also sure I'll need a new backing plate based on the pad size that I buy, but I don't know what size backing plate, either. Anyone have any opinions/tips? My main goal is to get rid of all the swirls on my truck. Last time I detailed with Adams SHR and it got out a lot of them, but not all, which is why I'm stepping up to 105.

How about their 5.5" pads? (Linky) I see that they fit a 5" backing plate. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Matt

Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you don't want to get too much right now so I'd not suggest 4" pads. 5.5" pads with a 5" backing plate would be fine. The yellow by LC might be a little much if you only want to get a few pads (it's not used very often and you can get the same results with the 105/orange pad with just a little more work. The 105/orange pad should be fine but it's hard to know without photos. Ultimate Compound is just under 105 in cutting power and you can find that locally for about $10. I have the 205 but I like Ultimate Compound a little more. UC is in between 105 and 205 but it's a consumer product and much more forgiving to work with. Remember, you may need to go over bad spots more then once.

I'd recommend you pick up another white and/or black pad. Your orange and/or a yellow is probably going to be used with one product but the non cutting pads might be needed for a few.

I bought a set of 5.5" and 4" Lake County pad and I like them. But I bought one Meguairs pad locally and I'll tell you, I like it a lot. But they are a little more expensive (mine as like $14 but they are $12 online) and I'm betting at the end of the day they are pretty much the same. I think the LC's are designed to keep the product moving around by storing some in the recessed areas of the pad.

While some recommend just wiping down the pads, I use a little dawn free liquid to clean mine under hot water. Rinse very good and let air dry.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I try and keep a minumum of 2 pads each. On my truck and car I never had to use yellow LC pad but we dont know the condition of you truck. I also love Ultimate Compound, seems to be my go to product for a lot of my correction work. I have 105 but it is very agressive and has a learning curve. 205 is just awesome and seem to like it more and more every time I use it. As far as pad size I use 5.5 the most on my 7424, I think 7.5 will be way to big. 6.5 seems to big but that might just be me. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. I'll take some pictures of my truck to give you an idea of what I need. I wasn't aware that Ultimate Compound was that potent. Do you guys know off the top of your head what it's aggressiveness is? (105=10, 205=3/4?)

Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM
If you rate 105 at 10 UC would be 7-8.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey mblouir, with the detail I just did on my "little" Hyundai, I used about 11 ounces of my 12 oz bottle of 105..... but then again, your truck might not be as bad off as my little car was.

I used Megs yellow pads for my 105/205, and dark gray for my glaze and wax. However, in retrospect, I'd probably use the burgundy pad with the 105, next time around, should my car or truck need as much correction, as my car did this time.

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
If you don't want to switch backing plates, 5.5 LC pads are good I usually just use white 5.5 with 105, but that's with a Flex, so maybe orange is for you.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Hey mblouir, with the detail I just did on my "little" Hyundai, I used about 11 ounces of my 12 oz bottle of 105..... but then again, your truck might not be as bad off as my little car was.

I used Megs yellow pads for my 105/205, and dark gray for my glaze and wax. However, in retrospect, I'd probably use the burgundy pad with the 105, next time around, should my car or truck need as much correction, as my car did this time.

Peace,
Fish
The pad is actually considered black that you used for you glaze/wax. I don't recommend and I'm pretty sure other members wouldn't recommend anyone using the Meguiars Burgundy paint at all at this time. The only time (safely) that this pad should be used is when removing wax (if you don't prefer to remove it by hand). Even in this case the pad (burgundy) is not used alone. You would need to cover the pad with a MF bonnett to safely remove wax from the vehicle but many people will tell you that they rather just remove the wax by hand.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
The pad is actually considered black that you used for you glaze/wax. I don't recommend and I'm pretty sure other members wouldn't recommend anyone using the Meguiars Burgundy paint at all at this time. The only time (safely) that this pad should be used is when removing wax (if you don't prefer to remove it by hand). Even in this case the pad (burgundy) is not used alone. You would need to cover the pad with a MF bonnett to safely remove wax from the vehicle but many people will tell you that they rather just remove the wax by hand.
Burgundy marrs the finish too much with a da

Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Before buying 12 oz of M105, try buying a 4oz sample of Gloss-It Extreme Cut from Gloss-It. It's all I use and works much longer than 105 (which flashes too quickly) and finishes down much better as well. It used with his pre-polymer foam pads works absolutely outstanding. Follow up with Evolution Cut and then Gloss Finish.

Try them, there are example after example of former 105 users on the detailing forumns who have switched to Gloss-It because of the ease of use of the product. You won't be sorry.

http://www.gloss-it.net/index2.html

Last edited by Damon@tirerack; 07-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM
esf
I've heard a lot of good things about Gloss It products. The cut, coupled with the ability to finish down so nice with 105 is hard to beat. It can be finicky to use. If it gets too hot it will turn to concrete. For me, what worked best was using it a bit slower with the only pressure really coming from the weight of the machine. It let me work it longer and it finished down great. This was with a white pad. The orange LC pad didn't get along very well with 105. It seemed to generate more heat and it flashed almost instantly if I wasn't really careful. It did get more defects out but didn't finish down as nice either. For me, 105 on a 4" white pad worked best.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 PM

I'm about to read up on the Gloss-It forums, thanks guys. Any tips for what backing plate and pads to buy if I go this route?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by mblouir
I'm about to read up on the Gloss-It forums, thanks guys. Any tips for what backing plate and pads to buy if I go this route?
Gloss-It sells backing plates and pads, too.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by esf
I've heard a lot of good things about Gloss It products. The cut, coupled with the ability to finish down so nice with 105 is hard to beat. It can be finicky to use. If it gets too hot it will turn to concrete. For me, what worked best was using it a bit slower with the only pressure really coming from the weight of the machine. It let me work it longer and it finished down great. This was with a white pad. The orange LC pad didn't get along very well with 105. It seemed to generate more heat and it flashed almost instantly if I wasn't really careful. It did get more defects out but didn't finish down as nice either. For me, 105 on a 4" white pad worked best.

I agree with white over orange on the rotary. It's much easier to control the heat. Yellow works very well if using with softer paints. On my Cyclo I like the orange best for first step because it does not generate enough heat.

If you read any comparison of the two, read THIS one.

This is a great comparison and you can see first hand the difference between the two.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
If you read any comparison of the two, read THIS one.

This is a great comparison and you can see first hand the difference between the two.
Thank you! Was looking for something like that but couldn't for the life of me find it. Saw your thread on there, too. Great lookin' blue F150. You really made a big difference on her.

Quick Reply: Ordering M105/M205 for use with PC--which pads??