Wax Question

Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax Question

Guys...could use some advice. I unfortunately have no garage and shade at my house is obsolete after 8am. For the most part, I wash early in the mornings....then drive 2 miles up the road to a church that has a really large tree in the parking lot. I do my detailing there, out of the son.

My question is two-fold. One, are there any issues with waxing or detailing under a tree, considering it is not a pine tree or other type of tree that drops lots of debris (not sure what kind it is)? And 2, do you think I'm getting enough dirt on my paint within that 2 mile drive to generate scratches or swirling when I wax or QD?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I'm not a detailing pro....
but in my opinion...no and no.
The waxing will remove any slight dust that might get on the clearcoat.
Better to wax in the shade....

Many people on these detailing threads talk about working on the "paint".
Unless your truck has a deep scratch, you're only dealing with the clear-coat.
Although the same processes and steps apply.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably use a "quick detail" product of some kind after your drive over to the shady location. It only takes a few minutes and would help rid the paint surface of anything you might have picked up on the short ride over to your detailing spot.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Why don't you purchase one of those car sheds from Autozone. Both of your questions would be a no for me but if its all you have to work with then its all you have to work with.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I've thought about a shed or awning but don't really have room for one w/out asking my neighbor to cut down a tree. I also thought about the QD per ddellwo's advice. That's probably the way to go....just to ensure I have a clean surface to work with.

Can't wait for my next house with a garage big enough to pull into!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:04 PM
esf
In my opinion, shade is most important for washing and polishing/compounding, not so much waxing. Washing in the sun can cause the water to dry and spot. Polishing in the sun can cause the polishes to dry out and not be workable any more. I, personally, would not risk driving two miles and then rubbing my paint (clear coat is paint as well) with anything because you risk driving the dirt in and causing swirls. This might not be noticeable once or twice but you're going to walk by your truck one day in the right light and want to cry when you see all the swirls you just never noticed before. My real advice, get yourself some ONR, 3 or 4 gallons of distilled water and a good wash mitt and you can do your wash wherever you want and not even need a hose. Just a good drying towel. For polishing, Poorboy's World products are designed to be used in full sun plus they work great.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:32 PM
I have watch dust collect on freshly cleaned black paint as I wipe the next panel. If I had to drive someplace I would do a light wipe down (with very soft microfiber towels) with ONR QD strength before I started rubbing the paint/clear.
Im with esf on the ONR wash but as of yet I have never seen any product that works as well in the sun as it does in the shade though many make that claim. If I had to work under a tree I would apply the product in the shade....let it dry and remove it in the sun if I had to use tree shade.
If you go the right time of day the shade from the tree eventually will be to one side or the other and not under it.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 AM
What is "ONR"? Never heard of that.

I use Meg's NXT 2.0 for wax...and also use Meg's QD. I found a place yesterday but had to do some driving to find the right shade. I just QDd the truck with a clean MF and then waxed it. I know it's not the totally preferred way to do it, but I have limited options.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
ONR= optimum no rinse. theres many uses- Carwash without a hose, quick detailer, clay lubricant etc.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 07-27-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 PM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
How about a portable canopy, put it up only when you need it?

http://www.shelters-to-go.com/kitsAluminum.shtml

Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM
My family owns a car wash product company called. Beaver Of Jackson. And no there is no problem waxing under a tree, but before you put the final coating on it make sure to wipe with cloth to take away dust.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I would also suggest a lite wipe-down with a micro-fiber cloth of some sort AFTER the short hop to the shade-tree.....
otherwise I would be afraid small specs like dust might even scrath the paint while waxing.....

OLD DOGG........
where'd you get those headlites and how much?
They look awesome!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM
X2!!!......and what about that grille? What kind is it?

I ended up just quick detailing with a clean MF right before the wax application. Seemed to do fine. I may be buying a new house soon w/ a much larger garage than what I have now. Then I won't have this problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by bfdtpkt
I would also suggest a lite wipe-down with a micro-fiber cloth of some sort AFTER the short hop to the shade-tree.....
otherwise I would be afraid small specs like dust might even scrath the paint while waxing.....

OLD DOGG........
where'd you get those headlites and how much?
They look awesome!
They are 4 years old worn out and malfunctioning but I got them HERE but have THESE on order.

Originally Posted by bigsur
X2!!!......and what about that grille? What kind is it?

I ended up just quick detailing with a clean MF right before the wax application. Seemed to do fine. I may be buying a new house soon w/ a much larger garage than what I have now. Then I won't have this problem.
I got the grille HERE long ago also and im about to change to black chrome.

Did you look into ONR?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Yep....looking into buying some now. That might work well for me in the interim. Thanks, much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wax Question