Okay, so I just cheated ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so I just cheated ;-)

I was sure loving my freshly detailed car Thurs and Fri. But by today (day 3) it was really starting to get that layer of very fine dust on it, that just totally robs the sparkle :-(

You know, it was at that point where 99% of the other people that saw it would say, "Man, I wish my car was that clean"..... But your like, "Yea', well, you should have seen it 3 days ago.

So, I contemplated giving it a light, quick wash. But now normally, I only wash it once a week, and you just have to realize that every time you wash it, your washing off some of that hard work you put in detailing it.... not only removing wax, but adding more micro-scratches.

Then I thought about that Meguairs Proffessional Quick detailing spray I used to prime my pads ;-) I figured if I felt even the slightest scrubbing, or sanding effect, I'd stop....
But in fact, it felt as slick as it did when I was finishing wiping off the polishes and wax ! So, in 5 minutes, I had my whole car looking just as good as it did 3 days ago :-) Whoo Hoo !

One things for sure, I guarantee you that didn't hurt the paint any more than a few years of brush washing it ! And what the heck, if it looks bad in another year, I'll just have to do another detail starting with 105 ;-)

Peace,
Fish

PS, In reality, I think this is pretty much what Meguiars Quick Detailer spray is designed for anyway, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I had just never used it before, that's all.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do the exact same thing wash it then when it starts getting dusty ill dust it and use the quick detailer. that stuff works really good!!!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
QD is well worth it!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 PM
esf
Don't get in to the habit of QDing. I know RR, myself, and many others have gone this route before and it will induce micro marring. It may not be noticeable in one application but it will definitely speed up the swirling process. Just be careful is all I'm saying. There are some things you just have to live with. It's hard I know. Also, the thing that's probably most important to the layer of wax you have on your ride is your wash solution. It should be as closely mixed to the instructions as possible so that you're not washing away your hard work. Another thing you can do that really helps is get something like Optimum Car Wax (Spray Wax) or Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (not to be confused with Ultimate Quik Detailer). What I do is I actually use them to dry my vehicle. It adds lubrication while drying so you don't marr the paint as easily and it adds protection everytime you wash.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Ever since my ONR arrived a few weeks ago, it's been a god send. it really cuts the amount of time you spend washing down, and the micro-encapsulation properties keep you from inducing more swirls when used correctly. it's perfect for when the car is dirty, but not filthy.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by esf
Don't get in to the habit of QDing. I know RR, myself, and many others have gone this route before and it will induce micro marring. It may not be noticeable in one application but it will definitely speed up the swirling process. Just be careful is all I'm saying. There are some things you just have to live with. It's hard I know. Also, the thing that's probably most important to the layer of wax you have on your ride is your wash solution. It should be as closely mixed to the instructions as possible so that you're not washing away your hard work. Another thing you can do that really helps is get something like Optimum Car Wax (Spray Wax) or Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax (not to be confused with Ultimate Quik Detailer). What I do is I actually use them to dry my vehicle. It adds lubrication while drying so you don't marr the paint as easily and it adds protection everytime you wash.
Megs Ultimate Quik Wax is great but I've never used it while drying so I'm going to have to try this method. ESF what is your procedure for during this. Is the truck/car still a little wet when you apply UQW. If so then this is good for me b/c I usually blow dry the truck with a leaf blower but there is still just a little bit of water left. If I can work the UQW in with the water than I'm good to go.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
esf
I've only used the UQW once )usually use Optimum Car Wax) for this method (it was during my last traditional wash) but it worked great. How you described my process is spot on. Like always to complete the wash I remove the nozzle and rinse to sheet off most of the water and then whatever remains, I will spray the UQW directly on the panel and wipe with a quality MF towel, Obessive Details Superfly towel in my case. It looked good and was beading water nicely. The only thing I noticed using the UQW over OCW was that the UQW seemed to attract dust and dirt a lot more than OCW.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Hey ESF, I hear you, and I don't doubt that using the QD spray, you will still introduce micro scratches....

But the alternative, doing a full blown wash every 2 or 3 days is just waaay too much work for me, and will also remove your protective layer, and induce micro-scratches.

So, the way I see it, a wash once a week.... QD spray in between, and when the micro-scratches start to get bad, polish her up again. When your clear coat is finally gone, it's time for new paint. Of course the way I drive the wheels off of a vehicle, it will likely be time for a new vehicle anyway ;-)

But I will look into the Megs Ultimate Quick Wax though. Probably have to order it though, huh ?

Peace,
Fish

Last edited by Fish Chris; 07-26-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 PM
You can get the UQW at any Auto parts store

Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by esf

I have to say that I have in the past been probably the most guilty of the over QD.....I used to QD my truck every day. Yes every day. However, I realied I was doing more damage. Even after correcting that behavior and doing every few days...still damage I had to fix later. Micro marring is one thing, LSP marring will drive you nuts...trust me.

Now I just deal with it and use ONR or do a full wash. Its amazing how little marring I get now over 6 months vs before.

Ok, maybe not on point but just saying, use your head, don't QD everyday and there is a limit to what a QD can do versus a full wash or an ONR bath.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Thank you 06'

Hey Rolling, ONR bath ? Forgive my ignorance, but ???

Fish

Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Thank you 06'

Hey Rolling, ONR bath ? Forgive my ignorance, but ???

Fish
I may be in the minority here...but I don't QD much anymore, would prefer to use ONR rather than QD IF after a few days. As of late, its easier to use ONR once per week than do a full wash. Granted you still need to use your head on when to do an ONR wash versus doing a full wash,

ONR is good stuff,.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 AM
esf
I'm not sure he gets the lingo. ONR = Optimum No Rinse. It's too early for me to go in to more detail.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by esf
I've only used the UQW once )usually use Optimum Car Wax) for this method (it was during my last traditional wash) but it worked great. How you described my process is spot on. Like always to complete the wash I remove the nozzle and rinse to sheet off most of the water and then whatever remains, I will spray the UQW directly on the panel and wipe with a quality MF towel, Obessive Details Superfly towel in my case. It looked good and was beading water nicely. The only thing I noticed using the UQW over OCW was that the UQW seemed to attract dust and dirt a lot more than OCW.
I noticed that you said you take your nozzle off and sheet off the water. Did you happen to see the new toy that I picked up at Sears a few weeks back. Below is a pic and if you turn the red **** it allows water to flow from the black nozzle on the top as if the whole orange nozzle wasn't on the hose. I bought this and some quik connects.

I'm with Rolling Rock on this one. I don't QD that much at all now either but one thing I've tried and liked (not sure if its correct) especially if I'm in a hurry I will foam the vehicle with my foam gun, sheet it off then dry. The reason I say that I'm not sure if its correct or safe is b/c I don't actually apply a mitt to the paint removing dirt. I let the soap run down the paint (don't let it dry on the paint) then I rinse it off. I rarely do this but if I'm in a rush this is my QD method.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
esf
That's pretty neat. I've never seen one of those before. I use quick disconnects and between the quick disconnect and the hose end I have a valve to stop the water so I don't get soaked trying to connect/disconnect the hose. Plus once you turn the valve to stop the water, you can pull the trigger to release any built up water/pressure inside the hose so it's real easy to remove.

These are what I use. Got them from Lowes. I picked up a few extra male ends for other nozzles. I haven't looked back since.

Last edited by esf; 07-27-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Okay, so I just cheated ;-)