20 hours of detailing in the last 2 days !

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20 hours of detailing in the last 2 days !

And geez, am I feeling it ! Okay, I'm sure some of you old detailing pro's could do everything I did in 8 hours, or less... but I was learning as I went Plus, I was pretty meticulous about taping everything really close to my edges, which took a lot of time, but probably saved a lot of time too.

Most of that 20 hours was spent with my new G110.

M105 took the most muscle, and the most time working it. In fact, I did several areas, including the roof and hood twice with M105.

M205 worked on and got smooth and oily pretty quickly, then came off SOO easy, it was like sex

Then the M07 glaze (which I found was not so bad at all > IF I spread it on fast, and got it right back off before it dried. When they say, do not let glaze dry on, they mean DO NOT LET GLAZE DRY ON !

And finally the M26 yellow wax. I've never spread wax so evenly, and had it wipe off so easily More sex

Oh also, I found out that M105, followed by M26 wax works GREAT on headlights

....and I did all my glass (by hand) with this powder stuff designed to remove water spots, but it pretty much removes any kind of film and road grime, also.

Iced all of my trim, tire flaps, etc.

HD'd the tires, and cleaned my wheels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, for my first time with a DA machine, I'd give myself about an 8... maybe 8.5 out of 10 Yes, if you get right up on it, in bright sunlight, and shift around a little, you might still see a micro-scratch here or there....
Also found some spots where bird crap did some deep damage.
On the other hand, I've had a few scuffs and scratches that have been asulting my eyes for a couple years now, that I was able to fix 90% to 100%.

But considering that the car is 3 years old, has seen nothing but hard-core outdoor heat and cold, and has "never" been buffed / polished, it looks WAAAAY better now, that it did two days ago
Both of my neighbors said it looks brand new. Well, from 20ft away, I would probably agree.

I'll try and take / post a photo tomorrow, before work.

It's funny...... The car is 'just' a Hyundai Accent, but because of the color (orange red metallic, and the wheels) I get more compliments on it, than I do the truck ? That's fine. I'd give you 3 of my Hyundai's, for 1 of my F150's.... wait a minute.... Come to think about it, the Hyundai cost $10K, and the F150 cost $30K

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
In for the pictures

Was the powder for the windows Bar Keep's Friend, by any chance?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Im sure the car came out mint. Now keeping up with the detailing will be that much easier.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I read all of that just to get to the end and read that you would be posting pics tomorrow. WHAT KIND CHIT is that, lol.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM
sweet, can't wait to see the pictures. I'm just starting to dive in to the rabbit hole of detailing. Bought some meguiars wax + mother's clay bar and I'm going to try detailing my truck for the first time (and probably its first time as well ). I'll definitely have to make a thread + pics when finished.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay, Okay !

I knew I'd catch some $#!+ for not posting photos along with this post....

But I'm glad you guys pushed me to take some before it got all dirty and screwed up again

Anyway, I wish I had had time to go find some nice nature settings, and to be able to take a bunch of shots under different sun agles... but instead, I have to get ready for 'work' {I'm sorry to use such foul 4 letter words on a public forum }

Oh also, everybody's monitor is different, but the color of this car usually looks much more orange, than red, like it does in these shots. Don't know why this paint photographs like that ? .... even with my DSLR, although I took these with my Canon A650is (point and shoot) for speed and ease.

Peace,
Fish

Oh, and just for fun Here's a shot I took last week with the same camera, and a couple of macro filters.....

Looks better in a larger file. You can really see the facets in it's eyes....

Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Damn, it would take me a week of detailing to get my truck to look that good. Nice job.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Oh, and just for fun Here's a shot I took last week with the same camera, and a couple of macro filters.....

Awesome picture. Sure wish I had a decent camera. Is that a sh&t fly? That's what we call them here anyway. The multicolored body ones.

Car looks great too. I'm gonna use my DA again this weekend. Love that thing.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Thank you tbraquet.

Let me put it this way, I don't plan to let my truck get as bad, as I did with the Hyundai, so hopefully, that, along with the fact that I learned a lot about my G110 and the Meguiars products, my first hardcore detail of the truck, might only take 10 or 12 hours (finishing in 1 day would be nice )

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Nice

Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM

I've never done anything other than wash mine. I would be afraid to use a machine on it, I have heard that it is to easy to burn the finish with a machine. Is this still true? I'm an old timer and remember hearing that in my highschool and college days.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
I've never done anything other than wash mine. I would be afraid to use a machine on it, I have heard that it is to easy to burn the finish with a machine. Is this still true? I'm an old timer and remember hearing that in my highschool and college days.
with a rotary and no experience yes its easy, but a majority of the guys here are using DAs or dual action buffers or polishers so it makes it alot harder to burn through the finish

Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Very nice, and clean. You think maybe the wax helped "change" the color of the car?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
I knew I'd catch some $#!+ for not posting photos along with this post....

But I'm glad you guys pushed me to take some before it got all dirty and screwed up again

Anyway, I wish I had had time to go find some nice nature settings, and to be able to take a bunch of shots under different sun agles... but instead, I have to get ready for 'work' {I'm sorry to use such foul 4 letter words on a public forum }

Oh also, everybody's monitor is different, but the color of this car usually looks much more orange, than red, like it does in these shots. Don't know why this paint photographs like that ? .... even with my DSLR, although I took these with my Canon A650is (point and shoot) for speed and ease.

Peace,
Fish

Looks good. This is what I wanted to see. Great job. I'm glad you like the G110.

Originally Posted by tbraquet

This is why many people on here start off with the DA G110. B/c its Dual Action - rotation and orbit, you never have to worry about burning the paint.
Once you give it a try you'll will think that you were crazy for using your hands

Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM
That looks fantastic, I can't wait to get mine on monday.

Quick Reply: 20 hours of detailing in the last 2 days !