2004 rust already; follow-up pics...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 rust already; follow-up pics...

Here are some pics of the paint work I've done (so far).

Next, I'm continuing on the rest of the frame. I'm going front-to-back painting as much as possible to try and delay the inevitable rust.
I'm going to try to get POR15 into any seams on the body too.
I also painted the back and bolt areas of the front bumper while I had it off.
...I know...it's a sickness!
PS: The piece of wood in the top photo isn't hold up the truck!

Last edited by mjb1032; 07-18-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I heard about POR15, how do you like it? Do you just paint it on? You inspired me to do the same now!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM

Samantha, What you see in the pictures is Rustoleum "Hammered" black paint. It's sold at most hardware stores for $12+- a quart. Everything in the photos was spray-painted with the same (Rusto "hammered" black) when the truck was new (Jan '04). But....with any rattle-can type paint....it is just too thin of a coat to be durable.
Now everything was done with brushes....nice and thick....and we'll see (hopefully) how long it holds up. Painting this way is one hell of a messy job...or take your time for it not to be.

POR15 is a moisture-cured "coating". At the local auto-parts store it's $50+- a quart. I don't have a problem spending the money on the paint, but the POR is tough to work with in this situation.
If POR gets on your skin "ONLY TIME AND WEAR" will remove it. When you're painting under a vehicle with brushes it's impossible not to get paint on yourself.

I'm planning on using the POR in areas where I can have more control of the application.

As far as prep work....I pressure-washed first, and I have a few wire brushes large and small that I run over the rusty areas as best I can. Both POR15 and this Rusto "Hammered" is made to be applied over rust.

I'll add pics as I can....
Beware....you've caught the no-rust bug...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 AM
PLEASE invest in a set of jack stands! Relying only on the jack is a good way to loose a life or a limb.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Tcope, I have 4 jack stands! They're holding up my other on-going project
a '68 Mustang 289 Coupe. Believe me....I know it's safety 1st when working under vehicles.

Getting crushed under a vehicle isn't my idea of a good way to make the wife a widow.......
Getting shot by jealous lovers....maybe..

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by mjb1032
Samantha, What you see in the pictures is Rustoleum "Hammered" black paint. It's sold at most hardware stores for $12+- a quart. Everything in the photos was spray-painted with the same (Rusto "hammered" black) when the truck was new (Jan '04). But....with any rattle-can type paint....it is just too thin of a coat to be durable.
Now everything was done with brushes....nice and thick....and we'll see (hopefully) how long it holds up. Painting this way is one hell of a messy job...or take your time for it not to be.

POR15 is a moisture-cured "coating". At the local auto-parts store it's $50+- a quart. I don't have a problem spending the money on the paint, but the POR is tough to work with in this situation.
If POR gets on your skin "ONLY TIME AND WEAR" will remove it. When you're painting under a vehicle with brushes it's impossible not to get paint on yourself.

I'm planning on using the POR in areas where I can have more control of the application.

As far as prep work....I pressure-washed first, and I have a few wire brushes large and small that I run over the rusty areas as best I can. Both POR15 and this Rusto "Hammered" is made to be applied over rust.

I'll add pics as I can....
Beware....you've caught the no-rust bug...

Thanks for the info! I am going to start it before another PA winter arrives. The salt is horrible here; my truck is an 08' and there is already rust.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Hey, one reason I am glad I'm in Vegas. Now how do I get rid of the 115 deg heat??

Oh and jackstands are your friend.seriously, that type of stuff scares me when I see it. Be safe and great job so far.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Some more pictures of paint work done to buy the truck some time before the inevitable rust takes hold.
I seriously need a new camera, or I have to lay off the caffiene!

Backside of bumper....

Top of bumper (under plastic cover)....

Wheelwell 3M spray undercoating....

Tow hitch/bumper support...I did this with POR15....

My pooch...."forget this....take me for a walk...."

Next up will be getting some POR15 into the doors and tailgate.
It may not be as easy as I think....
Thanks for looking....any and all comments welcome.

Last edited by mjb1032; 08-26-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin good man.
POR 15 is some simply amazing stuff!
just for sh*ts and giggles ive tried hammering and even sandblasting it off to no avail LOL

BTW they make a kind of "putty" that comes in a tube that works great for filling in seams etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Great job

Quick Reply: 2004 rust already; follow-up pics...