Detail Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Detail Kit

I am heavily considering doing this at some point this fall. I am very into the detailing and feel that I am becoming OCD Basically what kit would you reccomend. I really enjoy this and why not make sure I have products that are better. I don't want to spend a fortune, but a nice kit is what I am looking for. I want to get Meg's HD as well Now my dad is letting my use his Craftsman Random Orbital Buffer and I will try that out soon, however I am sure it is not anything like you guys have. I would like to eventually get a nice DA, but again, not extremely expensive. I would like to hear many opinions and form a solution based off of that. I would have already done this, but Mom and Dad have to buy it online instead of me just buying it in a store. Thanks Guys!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I am heavily considering doing this at some point this fall. I am very into the detailing and feel that I am becoming OCD Basically what kit would you reccomend. I really enjoy this and why not make sure I have products that are better. I don't want to spend a fortune, but a nice kit is what I am looking for. I want to get Meg's HD as well Now my dad is letting my use his Craftsman Random Orbital Buffer and I will try that out soon, however I am sure it is not anything like you guys have. I would like to eventually get a nice DA, but again, not extremely expensive. I would like to hear many opinions and form a solution based off of that. I would have already done this, but Mom and Dad have to buy it online instead of me just buying it in a store. Thanks Guys!
I'm not a pro like many but I also love detailing and I'm going to say that many here will tell you to stay away from applying that Craftsman buffer on your paint. For starters I would say that that the Megs DA is perfect. This is what I have and it works wonders for me. Take a look at ADS and purchase the low end DA package but be sure to grab an extra polishing and finishing pad.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Random orbitals are fine for applying wax, but they don't have the guts to do any paint correction.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Truckguy,
Try doing a search on this sight... http://www.autobody101.com
It's a great site hosted by body techs. These people deal with painting and detailing everyday. You can set up a profile and post threads just like here.
Really helpful, and freindly visitors.
There's loads of threads on detailing, compounds, tools to use, etc.

I stick to manual labor for detailing, I don't want to risk swirls or burns in the clearcoat.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Thanks a lot man... I will check it out.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by mjb1032
Truckguy,
Try doing a search on this sight... http://www.autobody101.com
It's a great site hosted by body techs. These people deal with painting and detailing everyday. You can set up a profile and post threads just like here.
Really helpful, and freindly visitors.
There's loads of threads on detailing, compounds, tools to use, etc.

I stick to manual labor for detailing, I don't want to risk swirls or burns in the clearcoat.
That place is hard to follow. They more focused into speed work and not perfection. You see how many people refer to autopia on that site?

If anything, come over to TDC, we'll get you straight & spend all your money

Old 07-11-2009, 09:06 AM
http://www.detailingbliss.com/
If you are interested in secrets of detailing.

Over the years I have found that a really good tool will last and perform as I need it. There is nothing more frustrating than getting something and it lacks the power to get the job done and done right. It is better to wait and get a better tool later than get the cheaper DA and realize you needed a better one.

I have a orbital polisher - Milwaukee. I have polished out at least 200 cars and boats with it over the years. It is powerful and messy. I was trained to use and respect it. I was interested in getting a DA a few months back and found 2 that I was considering. the Porter Cable and the Flex. The PC looked like a good DA but because the Flex has the forced head rotation, I bought it. I am extremely happy with it. It is a pro grade tool.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I did a nice detail on my truck yesterday using the ROB, came out great. BTW, I registered on TDC 2 days ago

Quick Reply: Detail Kit