Question on polishes and comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on polishes and comparisons

Couple of related questions....

Let me first say that I hate you all for making me buy all this detailing stuff!

I'm in the market for some polishes, waxes, sealants.

Polishes:

I like PoorBoy's methods, such as SS1, SS2 and SS3. Its easy for me to understand when picking out what I want.

Most people stick to Meguiars products (I'm sure the training they give helps) but from a lay person's point of view... the names of their products are confusing! The descriptions of the items is not much better. Reading the description of M105 and M205, they sounds identical (I know they are not). Then they have M135 which is a Spray Detailer. So it seems like the numbers don't mean much.

Is there a chart, table, webpage that gives a breakdown of their products all in one place? Perhaps categorizing their products and listing them in order of abrasiveness or the like.

Last question... what Meguiars products would be closest to PB's SS1, SS2 and SS3?

Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's what I use.....

3M hand glaze: Deep cleans paint; fills/removes swirl marks/fine scratches, adds deep luster to finish

BAF Profection Paint Sealant: Polishes paint to achieve a very high shine. Contains no wax or silicone, seals paint from environmental hazards- last 6-12 months in harsh climates.

3M Show Shine: Optional- use this as a top coat to achieve a carnuba deep shine.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by tcope
Is there a chart, table, webpage that gives a breakdown of their products all in one place? Perhaps categorizing their products and listing them in order of abrasiveness or the like.
Meguiars Online
Meguiars Acronyms

Good Luck!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
Thanks. I read the acronym list but had not seen the online list of their products. Thanks.

But I was really looking for a list of how their products compared to each other. For example, PoorBoy has the SS1, SS2 and SS3. They are the same base product and each slightly more abrasive as the number goes up. On the Meguiars line, how do I know how M105 compares to M205? Does M135 fall in between those (it does not, as it's not even a polish)? I can read about M105 and M205 but from their description they appear to be the the same. No where do I see that one is more aggressive then the other. If I want something more agressive then M105, is their a M106?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
esf
On the Meguiars bottles, they have a cut rating on the side (atleast in the mirror glaze line). It goes from 1-12.

Look on the left side of the bottle. It's a red bar that goes all the way up to 12. If you look at the next picture, the bottle shows a red bar that goes to 4.

Something more than 105 would be wet sanding or a different pad combo.

Quick Reply: Question on polishes and comparisons