Hardcore water spot removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hardcore water spot removal?

Anyone know a sure fire way to remove those nasty looking water spots off of the windows and off of a few body panels?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clay bar ftw!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends on how bad they are. It also depends on what tools you have at your disposal or are willing to buy. Getting them out by hand can be a chore. RR has tried a few things and even had to resort to wet sanding to remove them. Not all of them are going to require that extreme of a step. How have you tried tog et rid of them thus far. Meg's 04 works wonders on windows via a rotary buffer.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Technically, I have a homemade rotary buffer, foam pad with a microfiber cloth covering it, mounted on a cordless drill. I tried Scratch X for the paint and it seemed to make the major ones go.

I've also tried clay barring them, but the bar just doesn't even dent them.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:39 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're probably etched in to the clear. That's why the SX removed some while the clay did nothing. They do make special products for removing water spots. I believe CG has one called Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover. I think this is one of the products that RR used. I don't remember the results but since he ended up wet sanding, I want to say it wasn't enough. Steve (Poorboy's World owner) I believe recommends his Professional Polish. This is something that could take trial and error before you find out just how bad they are and what is needed to fix them. I'm going to pretend like I didn't hear about your home made buffer. It kind of scares me. However, you might want to try using a terry cloth bonnet since it will provide more cut than microfiber. You may end up needing to compound them out which would also require a lighter polish to follow it up.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
lol, yeah the franken-buffer took me 5 minutes to make and actually takes longer to use than by hand, and the batteries keep running out.

Quick Reply: Hardcore water spot removal?