Magnetic signs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Magnetic signs

just wondering if these magnetic signs that you stick on the side of the truck will hurt the paint as far as scratching etc. THANKS

Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
They shouldn't if you put them on and remove them carefully. I'd remove them to wash the truck, then put them back on.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put a small one on the truck after washing and waxing and after a month or so, it left fine scratches. I'm not sure if rain water and fine particles go in between the paint and magnet.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you slide it at all you can count on it scratching the paint. That means you would have to put it on perfect the first time. If it's crooked to the point you feel the need to nudge it to straighten it out, you've probably just induced scratches.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a set that are about 8" x 12" with the DOT numbers & business name required when I tow boats for the marina. I've found that keeping the truck - and the back of the signs - clean is a must to avoid scratching. Believe it or not, the bigger issue is the back of the signs. They are after all magnetic and seem to attract small (possibly ferrous) particles. I actually wax (NXT 2.0) the back of my signs periodically to keep them as clean as possible. I also only run them when I have to and keep them stored back to back behind the seat in my truck. They never go on unless the area has just been washed too.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I have a set that are about 8" x 12" with the DOT numbers & business name required when I tow boats for the marina. I've found that keeping the truck - and the back of the signs - clean is a must to avoid scratching. Believe it or not, the bigger issue is the back of the signs. They are after all magnetic and seem to attract small (possibly ferrous) particles. I actually wax (NXT 2.0) the back of my signs periodically to keep them as clean as possible. I also only run them when I have to and keep them stored back to back behind the seat in my truck. They never go on unless the area has just been washed too.
Exactly what I do.

I have a set that I run on my truck on a pretty regular basis and they haven't marred the paint at all. As 2stroked said the key is keeping the back of the signs clean and waxed, as well as whatever you are going to be attaching them to.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You can get this magnetic felt for signs. It is magnetized but it has a soft felt surface. The stuff works wonders, I know of a lot of people that use it on signs for their vehicles.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
You can get this magnetic felt for signs. It is magnetized but it has a soft felt surface. The stuff works wonders, I know of a lot of people that use it on signs for their vehicles.
Where do you get this at? i always keep my truck clean and what i was going to do is put them on when the truck was just cleaned and leave them on till the next week take em off wash the truck and put them back on. I just dont want it to mess up the paint

Old 06-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Where do you get this at? i always keep my truck clean and what i was going to do is put them on when the truck was just cleaned and leave them on till the next week take em off wash the truck and put them back on. I just dont want it to mess up the paint
I've seen them at Michaels and some of the other crafts stores.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I've seen them at Michaels and some of the other crafts stores.
WOW ok thanks going to go check that tomorrow

Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM

I do know they are somewhat popular with people with black or colored refrigerators, becuase the paint will get scratched up if you use regular magnets.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
They might have worked for some of these posters but my experience has been EXTREMELY negative.

Conditions: long-term, 95% 'on-paint' usage, maybe taken off SIX times during a year probably less (IOW they don't get moved much). Paint AND magnet were cleaned before initial application and any subsequent re-application but not waxed.

These are patriotic magnets that are still on our fire apparatus. Some are the ribbons, some are American flags. We are a mostly rural department and most of our equipment sits in the station 85% of the time staying clean. When our trucks are dirty they get washed pretty quick unless we are getting hammered with calls or the weather's really bad. Whether the magnets are on our most used trucks or our least used the paint underneath is messed up.

If you were going to use magnetic signs on your P.O.V. that you've worked really hard on and massaged the paint to near perfection I'd advise against it. If you had to do it I would do like 2stroked and hwm3 have recommended and pray.

Quick Reply: Magnetic signs