Help and Ideas for Carpet Cleaning and Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help and Ideas for Carpet Cleaning and Care

Hello all, my latest task has been a full inside and out detail of my 06 F150 Super Crew. I got the outside part done this past weekend (clayed and waxed) and now it's on to the inside. My carpet is in pretty good shape but I haven't done anything more than run a vacuum over it. So after 3 years it's time to get those pesky stains and general grime lifted off. This is were you guys come in, I trust this site more than my local dealer. So what works? Where's a good place to start? I know it's not rocket science but I just want it done right. Anything I should be worried about? I've heard rumors that after a good cleaning your scotch guard from the factory is shot... This true?

On another note, I have rubber floor mats but with our Iowa winters it is impossible to not drag in snow. So my floor has gotten pretty damp and didn't get a chance to completely dry until spring. Now on hot and humid days my truck smells so musty it's horrible. Any suggestions on this as well? I've heard putting down baking soda and let sit for a day or so then vacuum up. Just want to get that odor out and not just cover up with an air freshener.

Thanks fella's!!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
esf
What kind of vacuum do you have? Horsepower and what not? A lot of people consider 5 hp to be the minimum for sucking liquid out of the carpet. If you don't mind spending a bit of money a good machine to have is the Bissel Little Green Machine. There's also a pro heat model of it which sorta self describes it. If I remember correctly I picked mine up (non pro heat) for like $70 or $80 at Best Buy. It works great. If you don't want to spend the money on it and you have a good vacuum you can use that to suck the cleaner out of the carpet. Now for a good cleaner, over the counter, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up some Folex. It's pretty inexpensive and works great. If you have some Meg's APC+, that also works great. I think a good cleaning will take care of a lot of your smell. If it does not, there are air fresheners out there that will remove the odor (for the most part) and not just cover it up. Usually something with enzymes in it will get rid of the odor. Febreeze actually works pretty well. I have some spray on air freshener I picked up from Poorboy's but it was a special thing and not something he carries regularly. That said, it may or may not be the same stuff that Chemical Guys carries. It comes concentrated so you can dilute it or go way overboard and use 1/4 of the bottle straight like I did and hate yourself later but have a great smelling truck for a long time once it airs out a bit.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:24 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I still say the best odor remover is Odo-Ban. Only use it if you don't mind the scent of eucalyptus.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:39 PM
esf
Heh. I have to say I have no idea what eucalyptus smells like. More than one way to skin a cat.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
glc
Well, go over to Walmart and take a whiff of a bottle. It does work better than Febreze to get rid of the underlying odor, it's not just a masker.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
esf
I actually don't use Febreze. I do keep it on hand and it does work fairly well which is why I suggested it. Next time I'm at Wal-mart I'll check it out. Does Lowes or HD carry it? I go there more often than Wal-mart. What's it cost?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Folex with Shop Vac (I think it has 5 HP) is what I use for carpet cleaning.

My friend has the LGM. I think it's the one with heat, but can't be sure.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Rug Doctor...

If you look for a store that rents them the Oxy carpet cleaners stain remover and odor remover (contain enzymes) work very well on mildew, dog pee odors and anything else stinky in the carpet with very little fragrance of it's own.
Prices are not too bad either for what you get...

On the same topic the Rug Doctor machine comes with an upholstery cleaner attachment that also works very well in the vehicle.
The suction on Rug Doctor machines is the best.
I use them so much, some time soon im going to buy one and stop the rentals.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Awesome, thanks guys! Should be looking and hopefully smelling better by the weekend

Old 06-23-2009, 03:09 PM
glc
http://cleancontrol.com/Locator.html

A 24 oz spray bottle is in the 3 to 4 buck range as I remember. It looks like Sam's Club packages a 24 oz spray bottle along with a 128 oz bottle of concentrate to mix your own for 10 bucks.

Quick Reply: Help and Ideas for Carpet Cleaning and Care