Removed chrome fender trim.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removed chrome fender trim.........

that has probably been on truck since it was bought new in 05. I bought truck last year complete with cheesy chrome door handle accents and chrome fender trim. I removed it all yesterday, looks like a totally different truck. Problem occurs where fender trim sat against paint, even after washing truck ridges are visible where they sat, and the ridges can be felt with fingernails. Any fix for this? In the next month or two I will bring the truck to be detailed due to a couple surface scratches and swirl marks (love them black trucks). Is this something the detailer would be able to rectify? Thanks..

Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM
esf
Highly unlikely. If you can feel it with your fingernail, by the time the paint is leveled to remove the ridge, the high section will have had most of the paint removed. This can happen with pinstriping as well.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Suspended
Thanks for the reply esf. Thats not what I was hoping to hear, but what I had figured. I will start looking at putting some more trim on there than as I will not repaint a truck for 4 lines that can be covered. Hopefully I can find some sort of black trim so I dont have to do the gawdawful chrome thing again.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 PM
esf
Yeah sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better though I have the same deal on my truck from the pin stripes. Hence the reason I know pinstripes can cause the same thing. They're almost impossible to see though unless you're trying to find them and under the right light.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:24 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You can certainly try something like ScratchX 2.0 to see if it will minimize the lines.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bushwacker offers some good looking factory style trim covers for the wheel well.
And they are black!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Suspended
I have been checking around but some kind of trim will have to go back. I tried to scratchx last night and the line looked at me and said . This morning I visited a detail shop and the guy looked at it and said . So I have no choice but to put something back there. I will check around for today and if I dont find anything that will look decent on this truck, I will order the chrome door handles and replace the trim that I took off. Nothing lost though, I pulled the door handles off because they were showing their age and had to be replaced anyhow.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM
had the same problem with mine when i bought it used. I bought some stock looking fender flares on ebay for under 100. you can sometimes find oem fender trim here in the classified section, or newtakeoff.com has them for $99.

Quick Reply: Removed chrome fender trim.........