HELP!!!Paint over spray!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!Paint over spray!

WHAT DO I DO? I'm not a detail guru. We were spraying outside, a storm passed north and wind shifted towards truck!. I immediately cleaned up and went and washed truck but there is still some on there. It is Silver so it sorta blends in. It is oil based enamel. Do I claybar it? Is there a good chemical? HELP ME!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if the paint is pretty fresh claybar should do the trick im sure others will chime in though!!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Clay should work just fine.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If clay doesn't take care of it, you can try Meguiars Body Solvent. If that doesn't do it, you may need paint thinner.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by glc
If clay doesn't take care of it, you can try Meguiars Body Solvent. If that doesn't do it, you may need paint thinner.
Agreed, but i think you meant Lacquer Thiner.

Regardless, you will want to replolish and wax the area...if not the entire surface..

Don't panic, its an easy fix as long as you do what we suggest.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
i really dont mean to hijack this thread but have a similiar question on over spray.

i have some grey paint over spray all on the pasenger side of my black truck and it has been on there a good while. i worked in a oil refinery and drove the truck inside and one day it got covered with it i have no idea what kind of paint or if it even is paint really. i have tried all sorts of things to get it off but havent been able to get all of it im not really familiar with working on paint besides wash and wax. any ideas or suggestions?
since im already asking about getting stuff off of paint on the drivers side i ran over something white on the hwy and the tires slug it all over the side of the truck, rims, mirror, windows have gotten some off only by picking at it with my fingernail it is very hard and broke my nail. got it off the windows with a razor blade and a lot of window cleaner but any ideas on that? without having to repaint.

Last edited by jrfonte; 06-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 PM
The Clay bar worked great, I didnt get a chance to work on the windows, because it started raining. Can I claybar the windows? I tried mineral spirits but it didnt work. I plan on another wash and wax this weekend. My busy schedule wont allow it till then.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Yes, you can clay the windows, 1st.

jr, you can try the same things mentioned. Claybar, body solvent, paint thinner. RR, not to get in an argument, but I did mean paint thinner - lacquer thinner is not very effective on enamel. I know, you have to be very careful and try it on a inconspicuous spot first to make sure it doesn't eat your real paint. I'd probably test whatever chemical you want to use on a spot you can't see, such as the bottom inside of a door. If it softens or dulls the paint, don't use it.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Yes, you can clay the windows, 1st.

jr, you can try the same things mentioned. Claybar, body solvent, paint thinner. RR, not to get in an argument, but I did mean paint thinner - lacquer thinner is not very effective on enamel. I know, you have to be very careful and try it on a inconspicuous spot first to make sure it doesn't eat your real paint. I'd probably test whatever chemical you want to use on a spot you can't see, such as the bottom inside of a door. If it softens or dulls the paint, don't use it.
GLC....agreed, no argument needed, if you recommend that, I'll follow...thanks for the info...I have only used the LT with paint transfers...never used the PT, but I take your word for it.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
ok so i tried what was mentioned. i used paint thinner, laquer thinner, some grease and wax remover for when you paint cars, the clay bar, tried some industrial mek stuff i had from when i used to paint in the chemical plants but it is way to strong and tried to eat the paint in the test spot, none of any of that stuff even tuched what is stuck on the paint on either side the overspray on the passenger side or the hard cement stuff on the drivers side. any other ideas? can i try to wet sand it with 2k or 1500 paper?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 PM
here are some pics of the over spray and stuff stuck on paint. belive it or not i washed it twice before taking pics so its not dirt i have no idea what this stuff is or what to use to get it off.
passerger side the whole side is like this

the drivers

the mirror

a whole shot of the drivers mirror i think it has to be repainted

the edge of the front wheel well

Last edited by jrfonte; 06-19-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by jrfonte
here are some pics of the over spray and stuff stuck on paint. belive it or not i washed it twice before taking pics so its not dirt i have no idea what this stuff is or what to use to get it off.
passerger side the whole side is like this
I would try a more aggressive claybar before anything more extreme than what you have already done....actually I would have tried a stronger claybar before the industrial mek stuff. MEK aint no joke and will dissolve some plastics...hope you wore the proper gloves...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM
ok so i tried what was mentioned. i used paint thinner, laquer thinner, some grease and wax remover for when you paint cars, the clay bar, tried some industrial mek stuff i had from when i used to paint in the chemical plants but it is way to strong and tried to eat the paint in the test spot, none of any of that stuff even tuched what is stuck on the paint on either side the overspray on the passenger side or the hard cement stuff on the drivers side. any other ideas? can i try to wet sand it with 2k or 1500 paper?
If the "thiners" did get it, more agressive clay probably won't get it either, worth a shot I suppose, Red and Purple are the more aggressive versions.

If you did wetsand, use 3000....let it soak for an hour before using.

I did a little video on it..its not the best and don't do what i did...make sure you only go in one direction unlike I did in the video, makes for correcting the marks harder.

I would do a small section first. Go easy...check your work. use tons of lube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Kbf...e=channel_page

Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
no gloves i was an industrial painter for about a year and never wore them used to get that stuff all over me but i do have 6 toes on one foot now and i glow in the dark lol jk. the entire truck looks like the pics i posted except for the drivers rear quarter panel tail gate and rear bumper because i was rear ended and its been repainted twice now because the paint was flaking when pressure washed.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
no gloves i was an industrial painter for about a year and never wore them used to get that stuff all over me but i do have 6 toes on one foot now and i glow in the dark lol jk.
Just do 3 Hail Marys and tell your Liver you are sorry for your past transgressions and all will be well.
Not really...
Are your baby making days over yet?

Quick Reply: HELP!!!Paint over spray!