Gas Spilled from the Tank and onto the Paint, what do I do?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Spilled from the Tank and onto the Paint, what do I do?

I just noticed this right now on the wife's car, she filled her tank up to much and it spilled down onto the side of the car. I asked her what happened and she said she was talking on her cell phone and then she noticed it spill and then put the nozzle back up. Then I asked did you wipe the gasoline off and she said uh no. I just washed that spot right now and it looks like the clear coat is dull. You can clearly see where the gas spilled and ran down. I wiped it down and nothing. I don't know much about detailing all I did was wash that area of the car to see if it would clear up and nothing. I can't take a picture right now cause she just left but I'll make sure to get one ASAP please any help would be appreciated

Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
esf
I get that all the time. No matter what I try to do, I always end up getting some spillage. I know the dullness you're speaking of. Pick up something like Megs SwirlX or ScratchX and work the section real good with a fresh terry towel and rewax it when you're done. Any polish that's not too abrasive and will finish down should work providing you work it long enough. Meg's is just easier to get your hands on local.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree with ESF. I would wash the whole truck but that's just me. You can wash that side and then re-wax it. Meguiars products are probably available more locally so grab you some Megs Car wash (Gold Class or NXT) and some wax (NXT 2.0)

I would follow what ESF said but I would personally go with the Swirl X b/c I have experience with it and I can say that it works. If you do go with the Scratch X be sure to pick up Scratch X 2.0

Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
esf
Yes, sorry. Step one would be to wash the vehicle before you polish it. Claying wouldn't be a bad idea either but really for the limited amount of work you're doing, it's not really necessary. Plus I imagine you don't want to have to buy more stuff than you need to fix the problem at hand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Spilled from the Tank and onto the Paint, what do I do?