Wet sand/polish out dust in paint?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet sand/polish out dust in paint?

I just bought a Mustang convertible that has a repaint on it and there's dust in the paint. I'm wondering if wet sanding and polishing the hood and decklid are something I should try, or leave it to the professionals?

I'm thinking it can't really hurt to try it on the hood, since it's gotta be scuffed and painted anyway. It's got the Mach I style hood, and it's gotta be "blacked out" using a stencil anyway. If I screw it up, it will be painted over anyway.

I've done my fair share of amateur body work, and I'm thinking if I get some dura blocks and some 1500-2000# wet paper and take my time, I shouldn't be able to goof it up too bad. Then I can get the PC DA and polish it out.

So - to those experienced here - should I give it a whirl, or leave it to the professionals?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Generally speaking, dust / dirt / contamination cannot be sanded or buffed out since it's actually imbedded right in the paint itself. As you said though, if you're prepared to repaint the hood anyway, go ahead and try because you have nothing to loose.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're going to struggle to really bring it back with a PC...

For true compounding, a PC really doesn't offer enough 'oommpah' to rip through 1500 or 2000 grit scuffs. This is almost exclusively rotary work...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wet sand/polish out dust in paint?