Wax on powdercoat ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax on powdercoat ?

I think I might have asked about this way back, but don't remember the concensus....

Anyway, my satin black powder coated bumpers seem to be holding up very well against chips. In fact, I don't think their is a single "chip" per say, anywhere in them. Just a couple spots where you can tell a good sized rock hit it at 65mph, and kind of made like a tiny smash mark (don't know how else to explain it) but then it looks like it sprung back over the spot.

Anyway, the thing is, more and more, I notice that when I wash it, and its wet, it looks nice and black, but it appears to be getting grayer and greyer as soon as it dries after a wash. I know from bumping it a little with the wax towels, that it looks a lot blacker.... albeit, shinier. Not really a bad thing I guess.

Oh....... and I was kind of thinking about waxing my satin black wheels too.

Would you guys risk this ? Or might I just be opening up a can of worms that isn't worth the hassle ?

Hmmm,
Fish

Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Powdercoat can be treated just like paint with the same products. I wouldn't try to wax satin though, it will wind up looking like chit.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I've used Meg's 16 and Meg's 105 on powdercoat with good results. But it was gloss powdercoat.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Powdercoat can be treated just like paint with the same products. I wouldn't try to wax satin though, it will wind up looking like chit.
Sometimes the look can fool you right after you do it then in a few weeks or months...oh chit. I saw a video once of someone using a heat gun trying to undo the mess.

Opti-Seal on satin may work.

Quick Reply: Wax on powdercoat ?