Revamp of Detailing Products

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Revamp of Detailing Products

Ok guys, I read the sticky, very informative. I am not new to detailing but I have not gone down the OCD path that many of you have done Upkeep is very good on my truck, but I would like to go a bit further. I like doing things by hand, so I won't use a buffer (my dad does have one though if needed). Currently here is what I've been doing. I used Ice liquid clay when I got my truck and it worked ok, but I want to do it again with the Meg's kit. I used Ice paste wax every few weeks, but I have since used Mother's step 2, Then the Mothers cleaner wax, and then topped it off with Megs Deep Crystal Liquid. I would also like to get some new Micro fiber towels but not break the bank. I work at target and they have Zoom diaper clothes, are those any good? If not any reasonably priced ones reccomended? Also, how is my choice of products? Please make any reccomendations, as I love to work on my truck... it's an addiction as many others have too

Thanks
John

Old 05-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Ok guys, I read the sticky, very informative. I am not new to detailing but I have not gone down the OCD path that many of you have done Upkeep is very good on my truck, but I would like to go a bit further. I like doing things by hand, so I won't use a buffer (my dad does have one though if needed). Currently here is what I've been doing. I used Ice liquid clay when I got my truck and it worked ok, but I want to do it again with the Meg's kit. I used Ice paste wax every few weeks, but I have since used Mother's step 2, Then the Mothers cleaner wax, and then topped it off with Megs Deep Crystal Liquid. I would also like to get some new Micro fiber towels but not break the bank. I work at target and they have Zoom diaper clothes, are those any good? If not any reasonably priced ones reccomended? Also, how is my choice of products? Please make any reccomendations, as I love to work on my truck... it's an addiction as many others have too

Thanks
John
The first step is proper wash techniques and you said you read the sticky so if you somewhat follow it you will be ok since you dont want to be OCD.
When you finish off the Deep Crystal Liquid I would try some NXT. Target has a decent supply of items. I just bought some of those orange (both sides) microfiber towels for removing polish. I noticed they had some upscale softer towels you could use for waxing and QD which are nearly as good as what you would order online. When it comes to microfiber you get what you pay for in quality and softness. You said you dont want to break the bank so if you have some sort of discount that would probably be your cheapest route. I have used Mothers products and never had a problem so use what you like and use it often.

I would stay away from diaper cloths of any kind.
Most here are not Ice paste wax fans but I have never used it so im sure others will jump on you....er I mean jump in.

If you ever want to go the OCD route I recommend you visit The Rag Shack and try Optimum products from Obsessive Detail.
Good luck.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
esf
Ditch the liquid clay. I've seen side by side comparisons of that stuff and the amount of crap that a real claybar picks up after liquid clay is remarkable. I think it's target that carries the Vroom mf towels I've heard a bit about. Supposed to be pretty good for over the counter cheaper towels. You get what you pay for though for the most part which is why I will continue to buy mine from The Rag Shack. I used to use Mother's products before plummeting off the deep end. I liked Mother's 3 step better than I did Meg's. I actually ended up swapping Meg's step 2 in for Mothers step 2 and using Mothers step one and three. It's hard not to get overly involved and in to too much detail while still keeping it simple. The OCD side of me wants to get a little out of control. My main conern would be that liquid clay. Get yourself some real clay. the Meg's Smooth Surface kit will do just fine as will Mother's version of it.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Ok, thanks for the responses guys, I will do that. The liquid clay will go

Old 05-31-2009, 10:27 PM
esf
Thank you's are only accepted in the form of after pictures preferrably accompanied by before pictures!

Old 05-31-2009, 11:44 PM
x2 on ditching the liquid clay. Get a Mothers or Meguiars kit.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 AM

Well in that case, here are some before pics. She's pretty damn clean as it is, so the results will be fine tuning I think. I have a feeling I am going to become OCD just based off of how much time I put this.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 06-01-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I have a small dent in nearly the same identical place on recessed lower body line on passenger side from someones door?

Looks good.
When you show your paint detail it is always proper and accurate to show some sun reflection close ups of the panels.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Yea, it looks like you try to keep it up. You will be surprised by what comes off on the clay bar though. I thought my truck was clean until I clayed it.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
I have a small dent in nearly the same identical place on recessed lower body line on passenger side from someones door?

Looks good.
When you show your paint detail it is always proper and accurate to show some sun reflection close ups of the panels.
Yeah, the dents were from the last owner (elderly gent) He had a few little dings. I park a mile away from everyone and keep her clean so I've only subtracted scratches and such, no additions As I write I am about to detail the truck (no clay tho) so I will be sure to take some close-ups

Originally Posted by LOHfootball53
Yea, it looks like you try to keep it up. You will be surprised by what comes off on the clay bar though. I thought my truck was clean until I clayed it.
Thanks man, I will do the REAL claybarring in a couple of weeks. Today is a wash and few coats of wax

Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Why a few coats? That's a waste of time and energy, you can only put wax on so thick, and one application will do it as long as you don't miss any spots. The only reason the sticky recommends a second application is to catch any missed spots.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 AM

My bad, I meant Mothers step 2 and then Meg's step 3 :o

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Pk, so here's what I did. Washed with my usual Meg's Shampoo/Conditioner, then dried. Clayed with Mother's with Ice Spray detailer as the lube (I remember my brother had some clay barely used) and then Topped with Meg's step 3 Deep crystal. My truck was already clean, but the panels are jsut so much more sloother. The Ice liquid clay worked ok because I had worked it very well in april, but mothers is a far superior product and I will continue to use it as my choice of clay. Give me feed back

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Here are the rest of the pics

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Looks good! I realized this past weekend that I do not like light colors. I clayed and waxed my dad's silver '99 single wheel crew cab F-350. It looks the same from a distance. The only difference is the feel of the paint. Kinda disappointing but worth it. I'm used to a black truck that you can see a speck of dirt 30 feet away. lol But good job man, I see a door ding BTW!!!

Quick Reply: Revamp of Detailing Products