Rust and chrome

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust and chrome

This is not related to my F-150 but I was looking for some help with my wheels on my Harley. I have the spoked wheel on the front and the spokes have rust on them. I bought the bike off my buddy who rode it, and subsequently dumped it. It was never stored inside. So any ideas on what I should use? Any tips?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 AM
esf
Wash them good and use a good chrome polish on them. There are tons of good chrome polishes out there. Follow up with a good synthetic wax to help protect from the elements. There are even some metal polishes that will clean, shine and protect in one step. Optimum Metal Polish is one and Obsessive Detail's Metal Rx is another.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buy new wheels!!!

Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Suspended
Barkeeps Friend and Windex. The BKF will be near the kitchen cleaning supplies. Its a powder so give the rim a spray sprinkle some powder and go to town with a toothbrush. If the rust is really stubborn replace the toothbrush with a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and finish with a chrome polish.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I just used this stuff on my brush guard in a few spots where it was pitting and rusting, I got it at lowes and its called Naval Jelly rust dissolver and you put it on and let it sit for like 10 minutes then go back and scrub it with a more of a rough type of rag and it all came off no problem minus well give it a shot it was only like $7 and it worked awesome for me.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aPINCHbetter90
I just used this stuff on my brush guard in a few spots where it was pitting and rusting, I got it at lowes and its called Naval Jelly rust dissolver and you put it on and let it sit for like 10 minutes then go back and scrub it with a more of a rough type of rag and it all came off no problem minus well give it a shot it was only like $7 and it worked awesome for me.
Just be careful. Although your rust may be "removed", you now have a surface free of chrome plating and fully activated. Translation: Your rust will come back in a hurry if you don't protect the surface with something.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Yea thats true I should have mentioned that, I sprayed a clear coat over it when I was done.

Quick Reply: Rust and chrome