Faded black plastics?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Faded black plastics?

I know I am not the only one with this problem. The black plastic bed rail and tailgate caps on my truck have gone from black, to gray, to white in some spots...

I remember a post a couple of years ago, I think it was the '97-03 guys talking about this stuff called Showroom New Restorer. I had tried Armor All, Back To Black, etc... with no success. The closest I came was back to black which darkened it up SOME, but rinsed off at the first mist.

So I ordered up a bottle of the stuff... It arrived yesterday.

Following the directions, I coated it on, and let it dry. The directions do say to apply a second coat and so on until the color is correct. I honestly rushed the job, but so far I am impressed. My black plastics are much more, well.. black than they were before.

This stuff looks like an India ink gel, is sold in 4oz bottles. (Too small IMHO, but we will see).

Even with my rushed job, the results so far are superb. None of it is white anymore, And you can tell where I let the brush get too dry as it gets thin, and gray shows through. I will be removing the tool box, and finishing this job this weekend weather allowing, and will post some pics here.

No I don't have any interest in this company. I just wanted to share with you guys something I heard about here, but couldn't seem to find through the search function...

Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used the same product a couple of times and it works great! I thought the bottle was too small at first but I have done all of my door handles, the rear bumper top part and the front wiper cowl twice and I still have 3/4 of a bottle left. A little goes a long way.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How on earth did you get to the wiper cowl? Mine needs it done BADLY...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Many of us painted the wiper cowl with Krylon Fusion. Mine has been on a long time and still looks great. For the bed rails, I have used Bondo Restore Black. I apply it about twice a year, takes maybe 5 minutes. If I didn't have to remove that stuff from the rails, I would paint them with Fusion as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faded black plastics?