Turtle Wax "Ice Clay Kit"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turtle Wax "Ice Clay Kit"

Anyone ever tried this? I know most will tell me to go out and spend more money on something better, but I'm just curious if this will work at all? It comes with a pre cleaner called "Liquid clay" and says that will remove stains, some swirls, etc. The kit also come with a 100g clay bar and lubricant that is to be used as the final step.

I already picked this up. The kit was $17.00 so I figured it could be worth a try. I'm not into going crazy in depth with it comes to detailing. I'd just like to remove anything that might be embedded in the clear coat and get rid of some slight swirling. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you haven't "clayed" before, theirs no reason that this shouldn't be an improvement over what you have. If your paint feels rough now and feels smooth and slick afterwards, then you haven't wasted your money. Turtle wax isn't bad stuff and its been around a long time. If their products weren't decent they would have folded long ago. Just my thoughts. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I indeed have not used a clay bar before. However, I did try this out on a very small section of my hood and there was a hugely noticeable difference. The rest of the paint felt like sandpaper when compared to the spot where I used the clay bar. Not that my paint is completely awful as the truck is pretty new and I have taken care of it.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I dunno if I'd use that "liquid clay" but a clay bar is a clay bar, that should be fine. The time to do paint correction is AFTER claying. Clay will not remove swirls. If you try to do correction before claying, you will just grind the crud in deeper and make more scratches and swirls.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I hold all Turtle Wax products in the same high esteem that I hold for anything Billy Mays sells. And by the way, GLC is 100% on the money with his comments on clay and removing swirls. In fact, clay can actually induce some swirling if you're not careful.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:12 PM
glc
However, being that Clay Magic hold the patent on detailing clay, I don't see where a TW claybar would be any different from anyone else's.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM

So I should avoid the Liquid Clay and maybe use something after claying such as Swirl X?

Any special techniques I should know about for using the clay bar? Should I fold it often? Not use the same side of the clay? I've never done this before and I don't want to cause any unneeded damage. Thank you.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
So I should avoid the Liquid Clay and maybe use something after claying such as Swirl X?

Any special techniques I should know about for using the clay bar? Should I fold it often? Not use the same side of the clay? I've never done this before and I don't want to cause any unneeded damage. Thank you.
I am going to try the clay bar myself, I am into my 3rd year with my truck & I want to clean up the Dark Blue Pearl paint some! I've heard good things about the clay bar use!.......I am thinking of getting the Meguiars Clay bar kit, I've had good results with their products!......

Old 05-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! Those were quite informative!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
glc
You cannot use Mobil 1 for clay lube, RI.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I am going to try the clay bar myself, I am into my 3rd year with my truck & I want to clean up the Dark Blue Pearl paint some! I've heard good things about the clay bar use!.......I am thinking of getting the Meguiars Clay bar kit, I've had good results with their products!......
Great product. Clay just like all detailing, it takes practice and you get the hang of it.

Clay is the one thing a novice can do to make a huge difference in the look and more-so the feel of the paint.

Last edited by BigNate; 05-14-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
However, being that Clay Magic hold the patent on detailing clay, I don't see where a TW claybar would be any different from anyone else's.
The Turtle is a LIQUID claybar. That said, it's NOTHING like a regular claybar (patented by Clay Magic).

Further, the reason that Turtle Wax has survived is because they've been bought and sold three or four times over the past 10 years... and, the main place that they vend is WAL MART.

9 out of 10 people walking in to Wally World are looking for something to make the vehicle 'shine'. What they don't know is going in and slathering Crisco on a vehicle will make it shine and protect it just about as well. That's not to say that all of their products are junk but, I can say that ICE is garbage (yes, I've tried it and wouldn't even give it away free to a neighbor).

Every person has an individual amount of time that they want to spend to achieve 'results'. If one wants to use a 'one step' product to attempt to minimize/remove/fill some problems and protect in one step - no problem. Try a product like Meguiar's NXT, Mother's Synwax, or even Eagle One NanoWax.

If one wants to spend a few hours, step it up and clay, then polish then wax with reputable products from Mother's or Meguiar's.

If one wants to set their vehicle apart from the rest, utilize professional-grade products from any one of a bunch of vendors (like Meguiar's, Poorboy's, 3M, Pinnacle, etc... etc... etc... etc...) and go through the steps necessary to make it happen...

There's no silver bullet out there... ICE isn't even 'BB-gun' caliber when it comes to bullets.

-RP-

Old 05-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Quick question for you guys: would the products that Rockpick mentioned above be suitible for a black finish or is there something better. I am willing to put a little time and money into the clean up as long as I can do it myself. I really appreciate the help. Thanks,

Old 05-17-2009, 07:26 PM
I bought and used the Turtle Wax clay kit today. I skipped the liquid clay stuff, except on the front bumpers. For having never clayed before, I was pretty happy with the results. I washed, clayed the entire truck, and hit it with two coats of NXT 2.0. I think it turned out great. Oh, yeah, I finally pulled off the 4X4 stickers too.

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax "Ice Clay Kit"