How do you keep your tailpipe clean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you keep your tailpipe clean?

I'm not talking about chrome tips, just the stock pipe. When new, they're nice and shiny but after a while become dull and begin to rust.

What are your tips? So far I've been simply washing with dish soap and steel wool. After that, I apply some wd40 due to it's waterproofing abilities.

Any other thoughts? I hate the look of the rusted tailpipes. Because the F150 sites rather high, they're easily visible.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get some chrome or polished aluminum, they'll be easier to take care of.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I'm not talking about chrome tips, just the stock pipe. When new, they're nice and shiny but after a while become dull and begin to rust.

What are your tips? So far I've been simply washing with dish soap and steel wool. After that, I apply some wd40 due to it's waterproofing abilities.

Any other thoughts? I hate the look of the rusted tailpipes. Because the F150 sites rather high, they're easily visible.
My old 2002 GMC regular tailpipe never rusted at the tip that I noticed... I hope my new 2008 does not rust.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Suspended
Rattle can it flat black every couple of months.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm pretty proud of my tailpipe so I take really good care of it too. After all, the ladies really seem to notice a man with a nice tailpipe. I generally polish it every so often using Flitz and an old microfiber towel saved just for this purpose. If you apply a liberal amount of the polish to the pipe and then gently massage it in using a back and forth motion, you'll generally achieve the desired effect in just a few minutes. After polishing, remove any residue with a clean rag. If the first application doesn't get you the desired result, wait a few minutes and try it again. Beware though, if you polish it too often, you'll go blind.

Excuse me, but I think I just hurt myself. If any of you thought I wasn't going to take a humorous swing at a post like this, you've seriously underestimated me.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:23 PM
esf
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Well, I'm pretty proud of my tailpipe so I take really good care of it too. After all, the ladies really seem to notice a man with a nice tailpipe. I generally polish it every so often using Flitz and an old microfiber towel saved just for this purpose. If you apply a liberal amount of the polish to the pipe and then gently massage it in using a back and forth motion, you'll generally achieve the desired effect in just a few minutes. After polishing, remove any residue with a clean rag. If the first application doesn't get you the desired result, wait a few minutes and try it again. Beware though, if you polish it too often, you'll go blind.

Excuse me, but I think I just hurt myself. If any of you thought I wasn't going to take a humorous swing at a post like this, you've seriously underestimated me.

I don't know about you but I need more than just a few minutes in between.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:54 AM
I wash mine with E1 A2Z Wheel and Tire Cleaner and then polish it up every so often.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Last summer I cleaned my exhaust with a light simple green mixture and it did well. I took some Megs chrome polish at the tailpipes, made then look like fresh installed again.

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Well, I'm pretty proud of my tailpipe so I take really good care of it too. After all, the ladies really seem to notice a man with a nice tailpipe.
Yeah, until they see the guy with 4"x18" dual tips

Quick Reply: How do you keep your tailpipe clean?