Are repainted panels more sensitive.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are repainted panels more sensitive.

Sorry for so many new threads lately but I have been detailing a lot of cars lately and new questions come up so often. Today I detailed a black BMW 540i (not the same one as the convertible in my other thread). It was filled with swirls so i decided to test out some m80 and see how well it work.

So I did a spot on the hood of 80. It removed swirls but there was holograms. I thought that I was going crazy because BMW's typically have harder paint and holograms from m80 on a DA??? I had the problem with a Honda Fit a week earlier so I figured just try something less aggressive. I used some 09 (which in fact does have some abrasives in it but also really good fillers and I know fillers aren't the proper way to fix swirls but I just wanted to try something less aggressive) The 09 left holograms too.... hmmm it was so odd. So I did what I did on the Fit, and used some color X over the spots to try and remove the holograms. It removed them to some extent but when you look in the sun there was a holograms here or there that was very very small. I unfortunately didn't have any cleaner wax to try something even less aggressive.

So by this point I have talked to the Meguiars Hot line guys and they were very helpful but couldn't do anything more for me because they weren't actually there. I decided to try it on another panel, how about the trunk. m80 worked and no holograms. I figured I guess I'll let the nxt fill the small holograms on the hood. I did the rest of the car with m80 followed by color x as kinda a polish (plus it was making the black on the car look a lot richer) and then followed that with some NXT.

I wish I could have t

I did a full detail inside and out on this car and it looked great minus some of the swirls that were just too deep for me to get out. The owner loved the way the car looked and I was showing him how I couldn't get some of the swirls out of the hood and then he told me, oh you know this hood is an aftermarket paint job because I wrecked the hood in an accident. ( I mentally slap myself in the head) So it makes sense to me now why the hood was acting so much more different (even looked a little different closely)

After all that typing, is it possible for there to be a cheap aftermarket paint job that would keep hologramming in my situation or am I just plain crazy and doing something wrong?

Thanks for listening to my story/rant haha

PS I wish I could have taken some pictures but I was kinda stupid and left my camera at home And another side story. So I finished washing the car and drying all of it and the next moment the gardeners pull up to his house and start using leaf blowers everywhere blowing dust in the air. I was going to killlllllllllllllll them. Luckily it wasn't too bad ( i just QD's the car to get the dust off, I am just glad I wasn't drying and they did that otherwise I would have had to re wash the car hahah)

Last edited by andrewc_11890; 07-17-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Andrew,

The short answer to your question... Of course a re-painted vehicle can be difficult to correct. It all depends on the quality of, and the manner in which the re-paint was done. A lot of re-paints are extremely soft, which is probably the issue in this case.

On the other hand, a truly quality paint job can be a job to polish, but you normally don't see that with a body shop "fix-it" job.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Something to add to the list of questions you ask every customer.

"Have any of the panels ever been repainted?"

Them saying no is not always a green light for no issues, but it is very helpful if they can point out work that they know has been done.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Suspended
Hmm, please don't take this the wrong way...but I wonder if there is something in your process that you do that is inducing the swirls?

Something to consider...maybe something simple like improper pad cleaning, prepping or storing...simply using contaminated products, surface too hot, etc.

Otherwise, really don't know what to tell you aside from considering a FLEX and some 3M Ultrafine FE (aka Ultrafina pre name change) and a 3m Ultrafine blue pad. That combo is the "tool of choice" for rotary users to remove fine swirls.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Hmm, please don't take this the wrong way...but I wonder if there is something in your process that you do that is inducing the swirls?

Something to consider...maybe something simple like improper pad cleaning, prepping or storing...simply using contaminated products, surface too hot, etc.

Otherwise, really don't know what to tell you aside from considering a FLEX and some 3M Ultrafine FE (aka Ultrafina pre name change) and a 3m Ultrafine blue pad. That combo is the "tool of choice" for rotary users to remove fine swirls.

Good luck!
Alright thanks, the owner said that it wasn't really a quality repaint and also I wasn't getting holograms when doing the rest of the car too, so I don't think anything is wrong with my process, but hey maybe there is haha

Quick Reply: Are repainted panels more sensitive.