Detailing Dictionary

Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Dictionary

This is obviously a rough and incomplete draft of the Detailing Dictionary Sticky, proposed by troberts6874.

Positive comments and suggestions are most welcome. Negative comments and suggestions will be dealt with via wet-sanding (not included in the following)

ADS
Auto Detailing Supply. A favorite among the F150online detailers. They provide a vast array of detailing supplies, all available online. Visit www.autodetailingsolutions.com. Be sure to ask for Rick, and tell him that F150online.com sent you.

Carnuba Wax
(insert professional knowledge here)

Clay
A piece of clay used to remove foreign particles from the surface of the vehicle. To be used with a lubricant, such as as quick detailing product (QD), or less commonly, diluted car wash soap. Claying the paint is essential to a professional finish. Not to be confused with Play-Doh or pottery clay. Available through several manufacturer's in slightly varying degrees of aggressiveness.

DA
Dual Action Polisher. The detailer's weapon of choice. Generally refers to the Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher. Used mostly for defect removal in paint. Can also be used for last step product (LSP) application and removal.
http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm

DC
Meguiar's Deep Crystal System. A beginner to intermediate detailing solution.
The system includes three steps.
Step 1: DC1. Paint cleaner
Step 2: DC2. Polish
Step 3: DC3. Carnuba cleaner wax

Grit Guard
A plastic device put in the bottom of a wash bucket to keep dirt and particles out of the wash mitt.

EXP
A Poorboy's World sealant product.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/exp.htm

HyperDressing, HD
A Meguiar's product, generally used to dress tires and wheel wells. May be diluted to achieve desired gloss or matte finish.

LC
Lake Country. Maker of high quality buffing and polishing pads.

LSP
Last Step Product. The last step in detailing a vehicle's paint. Usually a wax.

Megs
General abbreviation for the Meguiar's line of detailing products.
http://www.meguiars.com

MF
Micro Fiber towels.

Natty's Red
A limited edition version of Poorboy's Paste Wax.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/natty-red.htm

NXT and NXT 2.0
Meguiar's wax product.

OCD
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. A debilitating and costly disease possessed by most of the regular posters on this forum.

PB
Acronym for the Poor Boy's World line of detailing products.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/

PC
Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher. Synonymous with DA. (see above)

Polish

QD
Quick Detail(er). A general acronym used to describe a vast array of products that are generally used between detailing steps as a means to remove minor dust which has accumulated on the working surface. Also used to enhance wetness, depth, and shine.

Rotary
A high speed buffer. Only to be used by professionals.

Scratch-X
Meguiar's product used to remove light to moderate scratches from a vehicles clear coat.
http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-paint-cleaners/ScratchX

Sealant

SG
Simple Green. A highly concentrated general cleaner. Usually diluted with water. Dilution ratios depend on application.

SSR
A Poorboy's World line of polishing and finishing products.
Listed from most aggressive to least...
SSR 3.0
SSR 2.5
SSR 2.0
SSR 1.0

TW
General reference to the Turtle Wax brand of detailing products.
http://www.turtlewax.com/

Two Bucket Method
Describes a method of washing a vehicle. Obviously, it involves two buckets. One bucket contains the soapy wash water, the other is used as a rinse bucket. This method helps reduce (but not eliminate) reintroducing foreign particles onto the paint.

UQD
Ultimate Quick Detailer. A Meguiar's product.
http://www.meguiars.com/?car-mainten...-Quik-Detailer

Wax

Meguiar's product

Meguiar's product. A medium to light strength polish.

Last edited by Rockpick; 02-15-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will organize these later -- BTW, I don't have access to increase the post size so, this thing will extend into SEVERAL posts. I'll handle that, Sleepy -- you need not have to worry about getting the editing taken care of...

Thanks for your work on this!!! And thanks to everyone who contributes. Just bare with me as we get it organized as it will take a little bit of time...

DF
Dominique France another great towel company.
www.dftowel.com

Zaino
Another excellent line of detailing products.
http://www.zainostore.com

Z-2 PRO
Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes. Z-2 PRO provides months and months of protection with just a single application, and that's no exaggeration.
(add more here)

Z-3 Show Car Polish
Z-3 Show Car Polish contains the same synthetic technology as our famous Z-2 formula. To meet the needs of standard paints, which tend to oxidize, shrink and lose their resiliency faster, Z-3 Show Car Polish also includes a custom blend of emulsifiers. These emulsifiers gently condition and maintain your car's paint, without a lot of rubbing.

Z-5 PRO
Z-5 PRO fills and hides minor surface imperfections.
(add more here)

Z-6 Ultra Clean
Z-6™ Ultra Clean contains seven optical clarifiers and our unique wet gloss enhancers to increase your car's wet-looking, mile-deep Show Car Polish shine. Recommend it for fast, safe removal of water spots, finger prints and light soil from painted surfaces, without scratching. Forms a tough molecular bond to all Zaino Show Car Polishes to increase gloss, optical clarity, slickness, and protection from the sun and elements.

Z-7 Show Car Wash
Concentrated blend of special cleaners, conditioners
(add more here)

Z-8 Grand Finale
Utilizes twenty-five new ingredients to bring you the highest level of shine, the deepest depths of gloss, the slickest feel, and the most protection available in any detail spray, period. But keep in mind, Z-8 isn't for everyone, and it hasn't been designed for everyday use.

Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner
Contains the finest blend of emulsifiers, mink oil and synthetic lanolin to safely clean all fine leather surfaces. Followed by Z-10

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle
Contains a perfectly balanced, solvent-free blend of special oils and other natural conditioners. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ penetrates and preserves all fine leathers for years of beautiful service.

Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish
Deep cleans and polishes all glass surfaces with ease.

Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish
A non-abrasive cleaner that removes fine hairline scratches and grime from all types of automotive, aircraft, boat, and motorcycle clear plastic windows, windshields and screens. It can be used on all plastics from very thin films to very thick acrylics.

Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss
A non-oily, rubber and exterior vinyl finishing treatment.

Z-18 ClayBar
Zaino's clay bar.

Z-AIO ALL-IN-ONE
Z-AIO gently cleans and protects while effectively enhancing light refraction and reflectivity for remarkable results.

Z-CS Clear Seal
An advanced total synthetic polymer protectant that is simply wiped on. No buffing required.

ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
It offers near-instant cure time, reduced surface distortion, enhanced polish flexibility, and improved bonding to both paint and additional layers of Show Car Polish. In simple terms, ZFX™ vastly improves paint surface appearance and increases polish durability.

Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover
Safely removes minor scratches, swirls, oxidation, wax buildup and other blemishes. Zaino Z-PC Fusion IS ABRASIVE and should only be used when necessary. Z-PC Fusion is not intended for frequent use.

Last edited by Rockpick; 02-14-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
i would ammend rotary a bit....you have high it listed as high speed buffer. since i am a freak about rotary...i think the term given is more of an angle grinder descripition. a rotarty is a varible speed from (0-3500 rpms) direct drive powerful, circular motion only, polisher to remove defects in the finish of ones paint. these can be electric or air driven. two most often used are the Makita 9227C and the Dewalt DW849.

great job so far, and in a week i would guess it would be 80% done. i hope this cuts down on the nonsense treads....i hate to keep talking about adding stickys to the top, but....one could have a poll of what kind of wax do you like best...list the top 4 lines....megs v pb v cool v cg v zaino v ect.....then it would just show the voting results....so instead of asking what kind of wax do people use, they could just ask the audience first. then another poll for pads.....another one for mfs....it that too much, but that is what most questions seem to be that are useless....i think the threads that jimbo sends pics of where he was trailriding and brushed up against a tree and asked if it can be buffed out? the pic shows he pressed a new seem about 4 inches into the side of the truck and the passenger side door no longer opens and he now can not close his tail gate....keep those...those are great entertainment

Last edited by troberts6874; 02-14-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
EDIT:

LC
Lake Country. Maker of high quality buffing and polishing pads. (Three lines of Pads, VC=Variable Contact and CCS=Collapsed Cell Structure, LC Flat Pad
Six Pads of Various Cut and Polish.

Yellow & Orange Cutting: Designed for moderate oxidation, scratches and acid rain damage. Use with medium cutting products: (paint levelers and compounds) Yellow is more aggressive than Orange.

Green & White Polishing: Designed for light oxidation, scratches and surface swirls. Use with light cutting products: (polishes, swirl removers, pre-wax cleaners) Green is more aggressive than White.

Black & Blue Finishing: Designed for final prep & surface protection products. Use with light one-step cleaner/waxes, glazes, paste waxes and polymer sealants. Blue is the finest texture and has no cleaning ability.

Degreasers:
Megs APC+ (All purpose cleaner, the + indicates interior fabric softener), great on carpets, wheel wells etc, needs to be diluted. Use cuation when using this product, it can remove LSP, grease and skin.
303 AeroSpace Cleaner

EXP should read as EX-P
Description: a pure sealant that easily brings out the brilliance and clarity of new and well-maintained vehicles. EX-P is an Amino Functional Resin which combines ease of use with unbeatable protection and shine. EX-P can be used in sun or shade.

MF's section:
My suggestion here is to list all the great places to get MF's, PakShack, Specialty Motoring, ADS (Bulk) etc.

If you are going to get into that much detail about Zaino you may need to put that much detail about other products so my suggestion is to limit the product discussions and add links rather than deep dive into each product. That data would be better suited for the detail sticky rather than the detail dictionary.

If you all agree we need to add some PB products to this dictionary a few more to add are

PB PwS- Polish w/ Sealant (PwS). This is an AIO (All in One) product that no detailer should be without. We have tested and tested and tested this product to make sure it will be a new staple in everyone's detailing bin. It is a pad dependent product and can be used by hand or any type of machine. By hand it works like a sealant or glaze and by machine can remove swirl marks as well as light scratches and haze, while leaving a sealant behind for protection. I'm sure everyone will be impressed with the glow and slickness that can be had with minimal effort.

PB PwC- Polish with Carnuba. This is a non-abrasive polish containing 100% carnauba wax. It cleans and seals a paint's finish in one step. This is an excellent one-step product for paints in good condition. It works very well with orbital buffers.

PB PwC/Blue-Polish with Carnuba-Blue Made specifically with dark colored cars in mind. Helps bring out a deeper gloss and shine while hiding minor paint defects.Polish w/ Carnauba Blue is also a great one-step product for those in a hurry or detailers looking to save money and time

PB PP-Professional Polish is the best and most versatile polish available. It is an awesome Paint/Clearcoat cleaner, Metal polish, and super on Glass, Plastic, Headlight Covers, and Plexiglass. Professional Polish is body shop safe and contains no Wax or Silicones. It's perfect as the final preparation before application of a wax or sealant.

PB SSS-Super Slick & Suds is a very highly concentrated car shampoo with extra-ordinary lubricants, sufactants and suds to safely remove dirt and grime from a well maintained vehicle without stripping off wax or sealants. It is pH neutral (7) and between a 1/4 and 1/2 ounce will do a vehicle or two. Super Slick & Suds makes drying a breeze.

SSR3- Heavy Duty Compound
Removes: Light Swirls, Oxidation, Most Scratches and Over-Spray. Use on: Clearcoats, Paint, Glass, and Gel Coats.
SSR2.5- Medium Abrasive
Removes: Light Swirls, Oxidation, Fine Scratches and Over-Spray. Use on: Clearcoats, Paint, Chrome, Gel Coats, Glass, and Plexiglass.
SSR2- Medium Abrasive
Removes: Light Swirls, Oxidation, Fine Scratches and Over-Spray. Use on: Clearcoats, Paint, Chrome, Gel Coats, Glass, and Plexiglass.
SSR1- Light Abrasive
Removes: Light Swirls, Oxidation, Fine Scratches and Over-Spray. Use on: Clearcoats, Paint, Chrome, Gel Coats, Glass, Plastic, and Plexiglass.

Last edited by RollingRock; 02-15-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM
didn't see
ONR--Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine-Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine has a multitude of uses. You can mix it into your regular car wash solution to boost its effectiveness. Add two ounces of it to a gallon of water and use it as a clay lube. Finally, add six ounces to a gallon of water to make an effective quick detailer with mild cleaning power. Use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine in the winter for a quick wash when a hose wash isn't readily available. It's environmentally friendly as it's biodegradable and it reduces water usage. That makes it great for drought areas such as Texas and Arizona.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's a good link for the meg's stuff.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=1293

Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Moderator &

Sorry I haven't made it to this yet... I will.

I'm going to store it in a .doc file and then just C&P it into multiple posts.... it'll be easier than going through and moving stuff around over and over.

-RP-

Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Moderator &

Brand neutral... well... that's one of the things that several complain about.

Some don't understand terminology like #80 or SSR1 or Z1 or Z5 or PBs or Meg's or ONR or FK1 or 845 or 425 or DG or ....

I think it'd be beneficial to have ALL of them on there. It just takes a few minutes of someone's time to type them and then post them...

I'm open for debate on that one though...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

Some don't understand terminology like #80 or SSR1 or Z1 or Z5 or PBs or Meg's or ONR or FK1 or 845 or 425 or DG or ....

I think it'd be beneficial to have ALL of them on there. It just takes a few minutes of someone's time to type them and then post them...

rock

I edited a ton of stuff to put in the sticky, covered most of the PB hot topics per the list.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
guys this is great stuff here. Keep em coming.

good idea trroberts

Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Moderator &

There are simply too many things on my agenda... if someone wants to master this thing and take it over, let me know. I just don't have the time...

Ask f150... I'm still working on v.2 of the sticky. *sighs*

Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
There are simply too many things on my agenda... if someone wants to master this thing and take it over, let me know. I just don't have the time...

Ask f150... I'm still working on v.2 of the sticky. *sighs*
...Hmmm...I am back from the dead. I was suffering withdrawls and I think I will have a DA of my own in the next week or so... so we will see.

Here is what I am looking at:

This week is EXTREMELY busy.
Next week I am out of town (staffing a camp for middle-schoolers...); as such the week after that I am going to be trying to catch up in my classes.

AFTER THAT, we can talk about me editing something. BTW, What am I editing? I am ready to look at the detailing guide and I guess this dictionary???

In any case, I would be happy to help, just not right this minute.

RP-- email me what you have on v2. It will make it a lot easier if I have some updates from you.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick

Wow who would have thought you would need an acronym finder for washing your truck! Here is a thought... How about not using acronyms...

I live in a world of acronyms at work and everyday there seems to be a new one. I love the idea of the dictionary becuase I needed. I dove into the threads and was quickly wondering what DA was. Ran into this thread and viola.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Here's a few more...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detailing Dictionary