Dress up the black plastic stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress up the black plastic stuff...

Any suggestions on products that I can use that will dress up the black (or really its dark grey) areas on my 04 fx4. Im talking about the top of the rear bumper, door handels, etc. The product I used left it wet and shiney looking, but was back to crap in a couple of days. Thanks

Old 01-25-2006, 06:54 PM
To clean it I used a stiff brush and soap then topped it with Mother's Back to Black. I think it is a pain to get clean and keep it looking nice. I have used Meguiar's Exterior Trim Detailer also but I want to try other products to see what will come out best. The most important step is to get it clean IMO.

Kevin

Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In all honesty.... I really don't know of a 'great' product in this category. I honestly dispise Meguiar's Trim Detailer and feel equally as bad about Back to Black...

Maybe I haven't used them correctly but, they all seem to run -- no matter how much excess you wipe off -- and they all seem to, ultimately, yield that 'blotchy' look that I really really really really don't like.

Boss may be able to shed a bit of light here though... He's probably tried out more than I have.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 PM
I really like Poorboys Trim Restorer. I goes on greasy but after you let it dwell then buff off it is really nice. Brings the black back and also has UV protection in it.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 AM
OK so somewhere along the ling I decided the truck was too big to wash as often as I wanted, on my own. So, now I wash it about once a month with wax and all... but when I go to the carwash (handwash) the dude has a sponge he basically applies some armor-all stuff with. Never runs, looks sharp, and its been a while Ive been going there.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Stoners (the windshield / glass cleaner folks) also makes a interior/exterior trim product available at part stores. Spray it on and wipe it down....it is not "greasy" feeling at all. I used it and really liked the results.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 PM
black trim

i have found that STONERS makes a product called trim shine that works really well on all the plastic parts, i also use it on my running boards, it makes them look new again without making them slippery like armor all or anything that has silicone in it. it does not have silicone in it and it last a lot longer than anything that i have tried. i also use it on the gold colored plastic pieces on my wifes 02 explorer, it makes them look new.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
I will have to try the Stoner's product. I haven't found anything that I like yet.

Kevin

Old 01-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen the trim shine and, in fact, I think I have a can of it in a sample kit that Stoner's sent me... I haven't tried it though...

I'd suggest spraying the product on an applicator and applying in that fashion...

Old 02-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I think I finally see why RP and maybe others do not like Back to Black. It had been a couple of weeks since I cleaned up my truck and the plastic rail coverings really were looking faded. I got to looking and there is a white residue in the grain causing the faded look. I feel certain it is the dried out "Back to Black" as it is a white liquid. Very irratating to say the least.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by PcificTigers
Any suggestions on products that I can use that will dress up the black (or really its dark grey) areas on my 04 fx4. Im talking about the top of the rear bumper, door handels, etc. The product I used left it wet and shiney looking, but was back to crap in a couple of days. Thanks
I am using 303 right now on my exposed rubber and plastic. I am really happy with the low matte shine and durability. Be sure to buff it out after letting it set in for a few minutes. It has good UV protection too, but, of course, it costs more too.

Vinylex might be another good one to use as well as the (gasp!) newly reformulated Armor All. It is now water-based. Flame suit on!

Quick Reply: Dress up the black plastic stuff...