Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Care & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Jeep Wrangler X
Removing Hard Water spots on the Windshield

What's the best way to remove hard water spots from a windshield?

I decided that, with all of the rain we've been having (AZ monsoon season) and the mud and road grime that got on it, it was time to clean'r up... It took forever and with the summer heat, the water dried up more quickly than I could wipe it off and now I have a windshield that looks like crap.

I tried vinegar and it helped a little, but it's still there and "I" notice it a lot. I used this Rain-X windshield foam stuff with the microfiber towel, and it helped a little more, but still there...

I thought about CLR, but I'm skeered to try it on my windshield.

Any help would be appreciated.

I hate ricers... They scratch my diffs.

4x4Him.org - Lake Havasu City, AZ Chapter
Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2004 ford f150
Clay bar it. It was the only thing that worked for me. I even tried #0000 grit steel wool with WD40 before I clay barred and it did not help.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F-150
I had a horrible bout with hard water a few weeks ago, washing my truck at my buddies house. If you drank enough of this water, you would probably crap an iron bar. I ended up rewashing it at a DIY drive thru, and used the pink foaming brush thing on all the glass. Took care of it.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 PM
F150online
Administrator
2005 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2012 F-150 King Ranch
There are OODLES of chemicals that can remove it... what you're seeing is scale from dissolved minerals in the water...

Here's what worked for me recently on a car I was doing for a client...

I couldn't remove them by any mechanical measure and really didn't want to resort to a highly abrasive polish to knock them down... I went in and got a spray bottle of CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) remover (green bottle). I sprayed it on a shop rag and wiped down the windows.

Follow with a quality glass cleaner and, presto. DO NOT get the CLR on ANYTHING other than the glass as it's highly acidic and can cause pitting and other problems on coated surfaces.... word to the wise... use at your own risk...

RP
Old 08-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

hello,

If 0000 steel whool doesnt work with a glass cleaner then try watering your windshield and drying it with a microfiber towell or microsfiber glass whipes. Either of the two i have found works well.

Or Try this, 0000 steel whool with clearvue auto glass cleaner, rub on with the steel whool, then dry with a microfiber towell.

Let me know if you try this and how it works our for you.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:22 PM