Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Care & Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 08-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Removing Road Paint

Any good tips, tricks or products to use to get yellow center line road paint off my truck?

Fortunately it did not get on the body, just on the front of the running board and the on the underneith edge of the wheel well.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:30 AM
2011 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
WD-40 might work it does wonders with tar
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM
F150online
Administrator
2005 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2012 F-150 King Ranch
Is this a vinyl running board or something else?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Its that plastic/vinal/rubber whatever material you want to call it the stock one piece running board.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to darrinp10
HELP! Wet Road Paint all over!

Did the WD-40 work? I've heard diesel fuel also. Anyone else run into this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150 Sport
If anyone finds out, leme know. I've got it on my paint...(Bumper) Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Garage is empty, add now

I found some laquer thinner here at work, it seemed to loosen it up pretty good. I know I will need to re-wax after using the thinner, but it shouldn't hurt my clear coat, right?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150 Sport
RP, any ideas???
Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 PM
F150online
Administrator
2005 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2012 F-150 King Ranch
Not so much... sorry.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F 150 4x4
plastic razor blades
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Update

I got most of the road paint on my door and bumper off with my fingernail, the rest came off with the laquer thinner and ALOT of rubbing. I throughly washed the spots on my truck where I used the laquer thinner, and then used some of that "Spray wax" on it until I can do a full wax job again.

As for my step rails and the plastic trim around the wheel wells, I used an old ice scraper to get off the big chunks of paint, and then the laquer thinner got off the small specks of yellow paint.

I still have paint all over my undercoating inside my wheel well and on the bottom side of my step rails, but all the paint you can see just walking up to the truck is gone.

I'm going to try the laquer thinner inside the wheel wells where the road paint is on the undercoating next, hoping that the thinner won't harm the undercoating.

Only suggestion I have for everyone that this happens to is, DON'T DRIVE THROUGH WET ROAD PAINT!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash575
Any good tips, tricks or products to use to get yellow center line road paint off my truck?

Fortunately it did not get on the body, just on the front of the running board and the on the underneith edge of the wheel well.

Thanks.
Clean with a good commercial latex paint remover (on a rag) and be VERY careful. Do not get any of it on the wax (it will remove it) or clearcoat (it could change it, or maybe make it cloudy if is remains on long enough).

You could also try denatured alcohol.

Saturate a cloth or rag (or a cheesecloth) with either, then spot with the cloth over your fingertip, you can use your fingernail under the cloth for a sharper edge.

Rinse with hot water if possible either from a pressure washer or the car wash.

You could always contact Meguiar's website for advice.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
This worked on my black Impala SS.
I had white overspray ALL over, from the side trim & both bumpers upward, glass too, & window trim.

I used a clay bar kit. It was Mothers or Meguires. It had a clay bar, lube, & wax. It took a saturday. The clay bar worked better than the thinner on what ever kind of this was. You could hear the bar rubbing across it when I started. It would get smoother & smoother as I worked each small area. I finished w/ a "dark color" swirl remover compound, then a wax. The last 2 steps were w/ an orbital polisher. My arms were dead after 3 trips over that big ole car.

If you want a super smooth finish, you really need to clay bar your vehicles. It is amazing how much smoother & slicker the paint is afterwards.

I do not think this will help on the wheel well, but clay bars are cheap enough to try one there.
Good Luck
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/mygallery.cfm?gnum=8343

Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Paint on Cars

I have Used Carb-n-Choke Cleaner, Spray it on, Wipe it Off within 5 Seconds, Or Apply to a Rag then Wipe Affected Area, Used it to get White Paint off the Wifes Mustang, Worked Great, Had to Re-Wax also, As for the inside of the Wheel Wells, Try a Mag Rim Spray, Then Spray Off with a Pressure Washer, Thats how I got it out of there. Did not seem to Harm the Undercoating.
Carb-n-Choke Cleaner works Great on a Rag to get of Tar and Grease also, and it will not take the Finish Off if Wiped with a Clean Rag Right Away, or Washed.
Good Luck. KR Paul
Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 AM