Order of Attack (For RockPick or Boss)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order of Attack (For RockPick or Boss)

I have a 97 Black Reg. Cab Flareside my truck was owned by a fleet company before I owned it. There are many Heavy-Medium scatches on the bed of the truck. I have a PC 7424 to be doing most of the work.

I wanted to know if it was all right to use 3M medium cut with a Edge 2000 medium or lightcut pad on the bed of the truck. I rest of the truck is in good shape and I want to use a medium cut with a fine cut pad is that all right?

And would I need to use a fine cut after the medium cut or could I go straight to the 2.0

I have the following Edge Pads 1 Medium (Yellow), 1 Light (Green), 1 Polish (Blue), 2 Ultra Polish (white). What pad should I use for each product below. And at what speed on the PC for each.

I plan to use the following products in this order:

3M Medium cut
3M Fine Cut
Megs. 2.0 Swirl Remover
Megs. #7 Showcar Glaze
Megs. NXT (2 coats)
Megs. #16

I know this is alot to ask but it will also set alot of a amatuer detailer's in the right direction. Thanks Guys.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FL:

I'm going to have to defer this one to someone who knows a bit more about those pads... I simply don't know much about them...

RP

Old 04-03-2005, 11:24 PM
I know, I'm not familiar with the cut of the edge pads yet either.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:29 AM
My guess would be

for the glaze and waxes would be the ultra polish pad...Not sure why you would use 16 over the NXT...16 would look great over the glaze..IMO....

For the medium cut I am guessing the Light cut pad...Don't know how agressive the med cut polish is...

For the fine cut I would say the polish pad. It seems like you are duplicating effort by using the fine cut then the swirl remover. I think they both would be about the same cutting strength...Again....I have never used the edge pads only the Lake Country...Here is a website that where you can get all the answers you would ever need...

www.detailcity.com or www.autopia.org

Old 04-04-2005, 06:50 AM
What are the product numbers on the 3M products?

If that is the 3M Medium cut I am thinking it is... I wouldn't use it with any of those pads & PC, as that product is made for use with a rotary buffer. That said, you could try it with the yellow pad with the buffer set at 4.5 to 5. However, do so at your own risk. You may get a lot of marring with the product.

If the fine cut is the Finesse It II, you might be able to use the green or blue pads and the PC at 4.5 to 5. Again, I really prefer to use a rotary buffer with these products. They are rubbing compounds or "cuts" as we use to call them and really work best with high speed rotary "buffer", not with a PC "polisher"....... in spite of the fact that 3M says they can be used by hand.

The #9 can be used with the green or blue pad depending on the how aggressive you want to go. Set the PC at 4.5 to 5.

I would apply and remove the #7 by hand. Use the white pad with the PC on 3 to 3.5 if you must. You are not trying to "work" this product, just applying a light coat.

Use the white pad with the NXT or #16 with the PC at 3 to 3.5. Again, you are not trying to work the product..... just applying a thin coat.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Ok I got it. I scrapped the cuts and started with Megs. clay and QD, then just to take the light scatches out I used the swirl remover and the blue (polish pad). Now I'm going to #7 glaze by hand, then lay on some NXT and I'll follow up with the #16 in a week or so. This should work out fine. Thanks Boss.

Quick Reply: Order of Attack (For RockPick or Boss)