Brake Dust Reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Dust Reduction?

Like most people on this message board, I like the quiet smooth brake pads that Ford is currently using, but hate the amazing amount of brake dust created by them. I purchased dust shields from Kleen Wheel and like them alot. I have had them on for about three weeks and it was money well spent. Now on to pics!

The way my wheels use to looked after cleaning the hell out of them only a few days before. Massive brake dust!

After washing and waxing

Old 10-08-2004, 04:55 AM
What the Kleen Wheels look like

How they fit

And how they look like when mounted

My wheels still get a good cleaning with each wash but now they look a ton better in between

Old 10-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Excellent post and great pix of the whole process!!! Seriously thinking about ordering them...

Old 10-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks Dzervit

I maybe doing the whole process / pic thing for installing molded spash guards if my nearby friendly stealership does not start growing some brains real quick. I have lost all confidence in them. So sad that you can buy a $30,000 truck but receive no or worrible service. And that is right I am talking about Joe Myers Ford in Houston Texas. Ask questions beforehand and then become afraid, very afraid. LOL .......Everyone have a good day!

Old 10-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice post GB!

Old 10-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Yep, excellent post! It would be really nice if they made those shields in different colors!

Nice job on the tires and wheels too!

Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boss_429
Yep, excellent post! It would be really nice if they made those shields in different colors!
Ask and ye shall recieve!!!

http://www.kleenwheels.com/

(the colors link seems to be dead as of the time that I'm posting this but, I've seen a full color listing that is pretty darn complete...)

RP

Old 10-09-2004, 12:21 AM
They look great and sounds like you like them. One caveat, though, and I cant remember where I heard this (years ago when these tpes of products came out):

Dont they reduce brake efficiency and life because that "dust" is dumped more on the rotors and pads themselves? I had thought I heard years ago that while they kept your wheels clean, brake performance and life was somewhat reduced.

Anyone have these for any length of time, ie, for a few years that can chime in ?

They do look nice, though.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:04 PM
I asked a few people about the reduction of brake efficiency and life because of the dumping on the rotors and pads. All said the same thing. It will not reduce any efficiency as a matter of fact it helps it out with the small vents that actually cools the brakes better than without them and the brake dust does not accumulate more on the rotors and pads. But it will accumulate on the dust shield and the back side of the wheel which will still need to be cleaned approximately every 6 months! So cleaning my wheels every six months when I rotate my tires vs. cleaning the wheels every other day is worth it to me. This does not mean that I would stop shining my wheels with every wash, it just mean that that would stay cleaner a little longer.

By the way I would recommend that you buy a set of 4 vs. a set of 2, that way you do not have to worry about pulling them off and getting them mixed up during tire rotation or tire replacements. These are set to fit a certain way so the vents pull air into them so you should not take the one on the right front and accidentally switch it with the one on the left front. Anyway, hope this helps

Old 10-11-2004, 07:26 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about better brake pads?

Old 10-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by APT
How about better brake pads?
Well said. If not for the crappy brake pads, we wouldn't have this problem.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Try Tommie Vaughn, they seem to have a better grasp on the whole svc thing. Plus, they're an SVT dealer so the parts dept looks like dreamland, hehe.,,,,98

Old 10-13-2004, 01:02 PM
I have had a set of the black Kleen Wheels for about 4 years, and have not had any problem with them or build up. I have taken an air hose and occasionally blown off the brake dust from the back side of the wheels. I also do it in the engine compartment every couple of months to help keep it clean.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:43 AM
Thanks 98screamer, I will definetly check out Tommie Vaughn's place. If you every want a good laugh, go to Joe Myers and either go to thier service department and if you can handle that, then try out the hole they call their parts department. I have gotten better customer service and had a better feeling about the service I was receiving at any quick oil and lube joint I have ever been to. The only true satisfaction I get is when Ford's Customer Service Deptartment calls me to follow up on how I was treated. To be nice I guess you could say I tore them a new one. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Well whatever you do, stay the hell away from Tomball Ford. Cripes, the massive clusterscrew that is my F-150 from there coupled with the moronic salesmen and worthless store OWNER makes for an all around awful experience. I find it an evangelical duty to prohibit anyone in the Houston area from going there...even to use the bathroom.

Good luck,
Jeff

PS - I know I've heard of Tommie Vaughn... is that North side?

Last edited by SliderJeff; 03-13-2005 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Reduction?