Detailing my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing my new truck

Only had it a few weeks and ready to make it shine.....
I like NSX and #26
Question: As the paint is new, do I need to prep it first with a polish or cleaner?
Also, I have chrome rims.......I heard a light wax will help keep them clean?
Last, the plastic parts (mirrors, running boards, bed caps), what can I use to minimize fading?
Note: I wash it once a week and keep it in the garage.
Thanks for any help..........

Old 10-01-2004, 05:56 PM

For your paint I recommend P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. It is a gentle cleaner and polish in one. It also works equally well with all waxes (Carnauba or synthetic).

As far as your wheels are concerned, use a polish specifically made for chrome. The product I recommend is Einszett Chrompflege. It does not only restore the luster of polished metal but it also prevents re-oxidation. (In your case you would just get it to prevent.)

For your plastic it is a good idea to regularly clean it with a good car wash shampoo. You should also use a uv protectant several times a year. I recommend Einszett Tiefenpfleger or 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

-Jerod Watson

Old 10-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Re: Detailing my new truck

Originally posted by Brak
Only had it a few weeks and ready to make it shine.....
I like NSX and #26
Question: As the paint is new, do I need to prep it first with a polish or cleaner?
Also, I have chrome rims.......I heard a light wax will help keep them clean?
Last, the plastic parts (mirrors, running boards, bed caps), what can I use to minimize fading?
Note: I wash it once a week and keep it in the garage.
Thanks for any help..........
If the paint is free of spider web swirls, you probably don't need to do any polishing. A light cleaning with a paint cleaner won't hurt......... even on new paint. As a matter of fact, the NXT has some very light cleaning ability on it's own, and may be all the cleaning your paint needs. If it looks good, and the paint feels slick............. just apply the NXT and #26.

I like to use a good synthetic wax on my chrome wheels to keep the brake dust from sticking to the wheels as much.......... it seems to help.

A good water based protectant with UV protection will go a long way towards keeping the trim in good shape.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:31 PM
the plastic parts

the plastic parts - I use 303 aerospace or meguiar's back to black. Works great for me.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: the plastic parts

Originally posted by GBTexas
the plastic parts - I use 303 aerospace or meguiar's back to black. Works great for me.

Back to Black is not a Meguiar's product. It's made by Mother's.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Moderator &

GREENICE/KAMASUTRA:

First and foremost, we frown upon advertising products on our site. Secondly, creating multiple accounts from the same IP address is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN.

-The Mgmt.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:38 PM
I love the NTX.... Here's a pic after a wax. I use it on the wheels too and they come clean way easier. I use Maguires cleaner wax during the winter to get the road grime off and NTX all summer.

Last edited by kanter; 10-09-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Moderator &

Beautiful truck there! I bet it's a pleasure to cruise around 'Big Sky' in that ride!

I was out there last week on business (and pretty much the entire month of September). We're doing some work in Phosphate (equidistant between Butte and Missoula (near Deer Lodge)) on a former mining site. I've been spending copius amounts of windshield time between Missoula and that site and a truck like that would've made it all the better. Instead, I'm typically stuck in a Trailblazer or similar. I never can seem to land an Expy or Explorer and none of the rental places offer trucks at MSO.

Also, you mentioned 'NSX'; I believe you were referring to Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax? Also, you brought up Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. To date, this is still one of my favorite overall products on the market! When it comes to a solid 'one-step' product, it's a tough one to beat!

Enjoy Big Sky! Where are you located? If you're somewhere around that ballpark that I'm working in, I'm sure we could get together and snag a frosty beverage or two.

RP

Old 10-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Im in Kalispell, about 2 hours from Missoula straight north.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by kanter
Im in Kalispell, about 2 hours from Missoula straight north.
I've been through there a couple of times in route to GNP. Beautiful area!

Old 10-09-2004, 04:44 PM
You drove right past my house then.... Its gettin cold up here.

Quick Reply: Detailing my new truck