Painting

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting

I am thinking about painting my entire truck, doing it myself and renting or borrowing whatever tools I need, because I think it would save me more money than having it professionally done. I know a little about body paint (and when I say a little, I really mean not that much, but I know people who know more and that can help me with it). My question (s) are this:

1. If I remember right, you use a bead/sand blaster to strip it down to bare metal. What does the air-pressure on it have to be set at?

2. What's the best type of paint/primer/top coat to use? Looking for something not too expensive, but quality enough to last a few years.

3. There are a few rust spots on the body. They don't look like they've gone all the way through, but I'm not sure. If they have, though, what can I do about it? Is there any type of filler that would work, or would I have to replace the metal. If I had to replace the metal, would I be able to cut out that particular area, weld a piece of sheet metal in, and clean it up afterwards (I'm pretty good in that area)?

4. What's a good temperature and humidity to have a garage set at. I can convert a good section of my garage for it, but I don't know what those numbers should be.

Some of these question might seem a little novice, but I AM a novice. But then again, isn't that what these forums are here for? I really think that when all is said and done, I can do a good job and this, and save a few bucks in the process. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, are there any good websites that help you go through the process? That would also be very helpful. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Double checked. There is no major body damage (a few minor dents here and there). The rust spots I talked about look like they are just on the surface, but that could be different once I get it down.

And in case it matters, I want to paint it Ford Blue, the same color that it is right now.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel that if you did a search for this you wouldn't pull up too much, because no one has tried (or atleast successfully) painted their trucks with little knowledge about it. Painting it would be quite difficult, and all the work you would put into it would be better spent working a job to pay for it.

For a few reasons: You need a steady hand because the paint has to go on smooth and even. Even though it costs alot to get it painted, you will spend much more time sanding, taping, and painting than a pro. You will need the tools to remove trim and pieces, tape it all damn well, and sand so much your arm will be sore. Plus, you would have to plastic off your garage and make sure there is no dirt or dust in the air. Considering you will be spraying and moving around dust will get up and fall on to the paint.

If you do it you will regret it.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:39 PM
repainting these newer cars doesnt really cost THAT much. Unless you have a clean room free of dust your gonna get a crappy finish. No matter how clean you think your garage is, its prolly not clean enough to paint a car. Go get some estimates before you say it costs too much. I think you will be surprised. It would be unfortunate to try to save money, screw it up, and THEN have to pay to have it done professionally.

Dan

Old 09-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Time isn't a problem, nor is sanding, or a clean workspace. I really just need those above questions answered.

When I said I don't have experience, I meant on painting vehicles. I have painting other similar things, such as boats. But boats are slightly different than trucks.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Where are you located exactly?

Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Northern Wisconsin.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I wont bother you with the 'you shouldn'ts' even though painting is quite an involved effort. The biggest key to painting is the prep work. With that said I think another forum would serve you better. I think that this link is one that I have found useful but I am not positive its the same one. If you don't get your questions answered there try a google search
for car painting forums. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Painting