what the heck is QD spray for??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what the heck is QD spray for??

I see you guys mention it in the posts and i know what products u use but what does this stuff actually do and when do you use it. Theres a bottle of meguirs sittin in my truck that was given to me but i dunno what to do with the stuff.

Dan

Old 09-18-2004, 12:18 AM
It's like a little 'freshening up' of the wax job. QD's are normally used weekly or so after a wash to bring out that just-waxed shine and provide a little protection.

Spray on, wipe it even with a terry cloth towel, then buff to a shine with a MF towel. Once your done you'll have the shine and smooth finish like a fresh wax.

Well, that's what I do... I could be wrong...

Old 09-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Most QD's are to be used to remove light dust, fresh contamination (bird poop..... etc), fingerprint/smudge marks. The also are used to enhance the gloss.

Some QD's contain a very tiny amount of wax, or polymer product and do freshen up the finish every so slightly.

Some QD's contain even more carnauba, or polymer product, and are really "quick waxes" or "spray waxes", and shouldn't be used as QD's to remove dust or conamination.

If you have the red bottle of Quik Detailer, it falls into the first category.

Old 09-18-2004, 08:00 PM
ok so the whole remove light dust thing. Id have to do my whole truck with the stuff cuz u cant just do one patch as it will look odd. The procedure is like dzervit said, apply with towel and then buff off? Thanks.

Dan

Old 09-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're right. You'd probably want to do the entire vehicle so that you have a uniform look.

To use:

Simply mist the product over a small area (I typically do it body panel by body panel) and wipe with one side of a microfiber towel. I then flip the towel and buff the remaining moisture from the surface.

The key is to make sure that the area is 'misted' as the QD spray provides a lubricating means so that the dust and such isn't being pushed across the surface of the paint. Also, let the towel do the work (preferabbly a 100% cotton terry towel or high quality microfiber towel). Don't press downward. This can be adverse (scratches, swirls, etc).

A good quick detailing is one of the secrets that the pros utilize to keep show vehicles in top notch condition. I carry a bottle in my truck along with a small array of microfiber towels for a quick wipe down prior to heading home from work or to remove a bird bomb. It's a HUGE asset to keep the truck looking good.

Be reminded though, it's only for removing light dust, a smudge or two, and finger prints (and maybe a wet bird bomb). For heavier soiling, you should wash with a high quality car shampoo and nothing less.

RP

Quick Reply: what the heck is QD spray for??