Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + 04 F150 Door handles = F$%#!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dzervit,

That sucks!
I use the ME sometimes, but I apply very little pressure for fear that the abrasive nature of it would leave marks...
Just 1 handle is messed up?
You've got a few options:
1) You might take this as an opportunity to talk to a good paint shop to see if they can paint the handles to match the rest of the truck (I wonder how much $$ this would be.) I love the pictures from SEMA that had the '04s with the handles and mirrors painted.
2) Whine to the dealer about what a pain the black plastic handles are and see if they'll replace the handle for just the cost of parts (can't hurt to see if they'll try to work with you...after all you dzervit!).
3) Wait for the billet handle that fits to come out (I don't really like the billet stuff, but that's just my opinion).

Let us know what you do. Good luck,

John

Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
No, all %*#(@ 5 handles are toast (4 door + tailgate).

I don't understand... the ME works great on some plastics, but destroys others. Stupit polymers.

1. Painting is an option... I'm thinking about adding Bushwacker flares and would like to do a two-tone paint scheme with my all Az Beige beast. Perhaps I could get them painted when I do all that (if I do all that).

2. I'm sure I could get that done. I am a charmer. If not, I'll pummel my salesmen senseless. After all, I am BIG 'd'. Ha!

3. I really like some of these... plus being metal I know they'd stand the test of time & wax! http://www.f150store.com/Shop/ViewPr...&PlateTypeID=1

*sigh* stupit door handles.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Argh...

This is the first time I've heard of such an occurance and I'm very sorry that it's happend.

Is the 'white' just tiny little bits of the ME or actual discoloration of the handle? In short, did you try to wash it off?

I wonder if the 04 handles have some sort of coating (similar to clear coat) on them that you burned through with too much abrasion?

RP

Old 09-12-2004, 09:34 PM
That's actual discoloration of the handle, RP. Believe me, I really TRIED to wash it off. I can't believe this either. It worked so well on the bimmers trim, but destroyed my handles!

I can't image they would have coated the handle, but it sure as hell looks like they did and my gorilla **** rubbed right through it without too much effort. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Old 09-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dzervit
That's actual discoloration of the handle, RP. Believe me, I really TRIED to wash it off. I can't believe this either. It worked so well on the bimmers trim, but destroyed my handles!

I can't image they would have coated the handle, but it sure as hell looks like they did and my gorilla **** rubbed right through it without too much effort. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!
That's a major bummer man... I wish I knew what to tell you...

Did you just do it to one of the handles?

I guess this is a prime commercial for the 'try it in an inconspicuous place prior to use' thingy...

Damn that sucks bud...

Old 09-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Nope, all handles. It looks black until it dries.. then it dries into the nasty white. So I did all of them before seeing what happened. D'oh!

Old 09-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Like was mentioned earlier, pull those puppies and have them painted to match your truck. Frankly, I was a little disappointed that Ford would go backwards (IMO) and put unpainted ones in the '04 trucks. Once the unpainted tailgate handle in my truck goes a little further downhill, I'm going to have it painted too. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Man D, I feel for you. That really sucks. Same thig happened to me on my old truck on some of the plastic pieces. Thats why I decided to stay away from it on this one.

BUT, in no way does it allow you to steal my idea and put the billet handles on first. Man I f I was only working right now I oculd go buy me some.

Seriously, if you find a way to clean it,, do tell.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Sorry this hit you kid...But when one door closes another opens...

The price of the after market handles is too high...

I vote you get all 5 painted to match your Arizona Beige and add a clear coat to that...Solve all your problems and add a great look to your truck...

Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 AM
i was just going to post and warn others not to use the ME on there vehicles. i tried it last night to try to remove stubborn tree sap off my rear fender and bed rail and i noticed it was scratching it. i stopped right away before it discoloured the rail.

does anyone know how to remove that g'!Dam$ tree sap off the rails, rear quarter and tail light without scratching the crap out of the finish?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Some bug & tar remover won't remove the sap?

Old 09-13-2004, 04:29 PM
damn that sucks! I think those billet handles that you linked to look good. I liked the triple slot ones. Pull the trigger on those they will look good.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:01 PM
I had the same problem not on my truck but on my wife's car first. Her Volvo has black trim all over the dang place and thus I tended to get alot more wax on her trim than on mine. Unfortunately her car took the brunt of the Magic Eraser damage then too.

Damage to my truck was limited since most of the wax was a) very little to begin with and b) not in highly visible spots.

I definitely feel your pain...espcially after my wife kicked my a$$!

Old 09-14-2004, 03:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your handles, that really sux I think painting them to match the truck would look great but if you go with the billets, I agree with fatman, the triple shots look best.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:29 PM
The saga continues...

Called the best body shop I know of. They really don't want to touch them since A. Difficult to get good adhesion on the plastic. B. Difficult to paint (ie, have to rip apart the whole assembly). C. The handles are not smooth, they have that little bumpy texture. Unsure of results on the bumpy surface.

Said even if they did do the job, the risk of chips/cracking/defects is still high and they obviously are not going to warrenty the job due to the surface. *SIGH* While I'm sure some hacks will do it, I'm unsure of the durability of the paint job. I'm not exactly 'easy' on my vehicles (running bikers & moms off the road and all).

So... I've been hunting for billet handles... most of them DO NOT INCLUDE the bucket.... and that's what I really F'ed up!!! *SIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHH*

I found a little shop that does all billet handles & buckets. Some e-mail swapping I get a nice photo of the product (in chrome, available in polished as well) Pretty hot:

Now the NOT hot part... to replace ALL 5 of my handles... ready?!

Sitting down?!

In polished... $600 + SHIPPING

"But what about the chrome Big D?!!"

Ohhh, glad you asked. They can be yours for the low low price of $887, but they'll toss in shipping for that order. WTF?!

Somebody shoot me. I guess I'll just have to get direct replacements... they are dirt cheap, can do all 5 for about 100 bones. Stupid bald Mr. Clean...

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + 04 F150 Door handles = F$%#!!!